• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma...overcoached?!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That was an above average performance. 14 wickets in 10 matches is not a big deal specially when there were supporting wickets
Excuse me! What 'supporting wickets'? Australia's pitches have been notoriously flat for God knows how long now. Its time cricket fans realise that some extra bounce doesn't = minefield.
Mind one more thing and take it guaranted. Very soon he is going to be banned because of his suspected action. His throws the ball and very soon there would be a question mark on him.
Ummm, no.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
White was selected ahead of Macgill for the test side? I thought White was selected when MacGill pulled out of the Zimbabwe tour. Thankfully for everyone, White hasnt yet played a test match.
I can't remember totally. But i doubt whether the aussie selectors ATT held much againts MacGill for missing that ZIM tour. I do remember White getting a lot of hype at the time & was selected being touted as a Kumble like spinner and all was more likely to play if AUS needed a second spinner of if Warne got injured, while Hauritz went more for the experience.

I guess the selectors probably realised from some of the net session that he wasn't as good as they thought haha..

Theres nothing more that you can do to contribute to the team than by scoring runs and winning games. Bevan won countless games and just because he didnt share the kind of the attitude that the team wanted, it doesnt mean that he should have been dropped unceremoniously as he was.
All true, but if you got at attitude problem as it was claimed it doesn't. Either way Australia being able to axe Bevan so quickly was surely down to Australia great depth that selectorial incompetense?. Come on the team weren't affected at all.

Symonds didnt exactly do brilliantly with the ball in the ODI series. Took what, 5 wickets? I dont see how his ODI form is relevant to his test match selection over what should have been an undroppable player. Katich had shown that he had excellent footwork to play the spinners as shown against the likes of Kumble at Sydney. He was the ideal player to have in the subcontinent and the reasoning for his axing for an unproven player is rather dubious.
It was a risk the selectors could have taken which was never going to affect the overall balance of the side tremendoulsy going into that second test given the strenght of the batting line-up. If Symonds had blossomed as a test batsman immediately in that series it could have very well and turned out to have been an inspired selection even though it would have been harsh on Katich. By no means a selection error, again due to AUS strenght they could have taken those risks, doesn't make the selectors bad.

Nathan Bracken and Brad Williams should have come nowhere near test match selection for the india home series in 03/04. Bracken's selection on its own speaks volumes on the selectors ability to judge players given how out of depth he looks at the test level. Meanwhile, kaspa who had been performing day in and day out in both county cricket and domestic cricket didnt get a look in as a replacement for gillespie or mcgrath.
Sure Kasper was doing well for QSL & here for Glamorgan at the time (although i may have to check his FC stats for season after he played in IND 01). I'm not so sure that he really was demanding selection back again until during that 03/04 AUS domestic season.

Bichel was surely ahead of him, Bracken was & Williams had done fairly well for WA in FC cricket before selected for ODI's too. Kasper also wouldn't have been in that high regard by selectors of fans given his inconsistent past. What he did in 04 suprised everyone.

No way was Bracken when he was first selected reckoned to be a bad move come on. Although looking back probably a bit over-hyped given he was left-armer his performers in ODI cricket for 2 years especially in the TVS Cup in India had all excited. But he got some flat decks and was humbled. Almost any selector would have picked Bracken for the test side at the time.

Left out after scoring a 100 in his last test match for Simon Katich IIRC.
Probably a bit harsh i guess no doubt given what he was doing in FC cricket for a while. But i guess the reason he was dropped going into the 03/04 summer was that given Ponting/Martyn/S Waugh/Lehmann had positions covered. With Lehmann injured intially it was felt Love wasn't totally suited to bat @ 6 thus the equally impressive Katich was given a go. Again Tecy thats how harsh things have proven to be for some really talented bats for AUS, doesn't make the selectors dickheads.

I dont think so. I think the Australian selectors are given a lot of slack for making some really foolish mistakes simply because they are the best side in the world. McGrath was said to be closed to being dropped almost everytime he came back from injury to emphasise their 'ruthless' nature and the fact is that they could simply afford to make stupid errors because the replacements were either good enough to cover it up or their better players in the side would still win games for them.
The only really big selection blunders AUS have made in test for me would be Martyn's axing after the Ashes & MacGill being left out of the 04 tour to IND. All the rest you have highlighted a over-exaggerations.

On the bolded part where did you get that from?. Ha, the only time McGraths career was in question was in 04 after he came back from some injury he really did look pedestrian & yes i remember the selectors suggesting that he could be dropped if he stepped up soon, since not many fast bowlers post 30+ have been able to maintain their loftly standards & McGrath was looking that way, but in the coming years was when he sealed his legacy.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Thats it...i'm sick of his bowling tbh..he is nowhere near the same bowler that he was a couple of months ago.The only significant change i can see is that he has started coming very close to the stumps(upon)..whilst this should be the standard approach to be "successful"..i don't think its working for him tbh.The ball is not deviating at all,whereas in Aus he used to come from really wide of the crease and bowl those massive cutters which came in to the RHB and the odd one that held its line.So what do you all think?Is that what is wrong?If it isn't i don't know what could be?
Mate,just use your brain

He has played on placid tracks in pakistan and still was the,pick of the fast bowlers
bolwed at genuine pace {remember the speed guns used by espn show the speed from
the ground not hand} got great bounce,he bowled one at 158km

the ball does seam in australia so coming wide of the crease is helpful but in these conditions coming close to the picth is helpful,he would have learnt a lot by bowling on
dead tracks and he has developed variations

and one thing judge bowlers in test cricket,and he has bowled well there even in the last series in south africa so this topic is baseless

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
My mistake that, I guess I had been thrown off by the fact that Australia usually start their test series' at Brisbane. I was referring to the 1st test against India at Melbourne.
I guessed as much. :dry:

As has already been suggested by others, you dont really need considerably pace to generate reverse swing. Mcgrath did it on loads of occasions in the subcontinent and Hoggard recently managed to do it in Adelaide. Clark did reverse swing the ball at Melbourne, that I am certain off. The ball that got Dhoni from memory reverse swung a fair bit before hitting him on the pads and not long after Ganguly was nearly caught in the slip cordon with another reverse inswinger.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said that pace bowling = reverse swing. Idiotic generalisation on my part. I do often find that pacier bowlers generate it more frequently than bowlers of lesser pace, though, assuming that both have the correct wrist position and grip. There's no point being fast and attempting to bowl reverse swing if you lack the wrist position and grip necessary. For instance, I've found that Mitchell Johnson generates more of it than RP Singh - or at least, he did throughout the summer.

If he did, I certainly didnt notice it or he didnt manage to do it consistently enough during a spell.
I did. However, it was most noteworthy during that little passage in Melbourne.

Yes, but i dont see why it matters that RP Singh generates more conventional swing.
It can if the bowler doesn't generate a great deal of conventional swing.

The fact is that he is capable of reversing the ball in the right conditions and that is a good skill to have.
Indeed.

Commone, he took 6 wickets in 3 tests as opposed to RP who took more than twice as many.
RP's economy rate was also infinitely higher than Sharma's. While Sharma demanded respect several times, RP did not seem to. If the Australian batsmen had paid him the respect they showed Sharma (or even Pathan), he would've taken less wickets. Like I said, Sharma was also unfortunate with umpiring decisions and deliveries beating the bat; RP Singh was not.

At some point, someone has to raise his hand and say that Ishant didnt exactly bowl as well as some people imagine him to have done.
He wasn't a superstar, but he was pretty damn unlucky. A mid-30's average would've been more reminiscent of how well he bowled.

Look, Im no RP mark and I dont think he bowled brilliantly in that series. However, from what I watched he bowled well in some spells (mostly with the new ball) and bowled waywardly in others, but when he bowled well he looked very good and caused Australia plenty of problems.
OK, but he didn't bowl well often enough (I can only recall him bowling two impressive/effective spells, early on in Sydney and Perth). A lot of the time, he was more or less cannon fodder, on the Anderson level.

He was expensive but he had a good SR.
OK, but SR is lowered as economy rate rises. A good SR means little by itself. I mean, look at Patterson Thompson's SR! :p

As far as Johnson is concerned, I simply cannot see how a bowler that is straight up and down will be successful at the test match level, especially with such a flat trajectory even at nearly 90mph.
Fair point, but I thought that we were discussing his performances during the Aus/Ind test series in question (which I felt were often acceptable, at the very least).

If he doesnt swing the ball, he offers no perceivable threat to the batsmen.
His pace and bounce may cause problems once in a while, but not often enough to really make him a Test force.

Yes he had dropped chances of him and a lot of them were off Dravid, but he also had plenty of poor strokes played against him, again a lot by Dravid.
If we denigrate Johnson's performances based on the 'poor strokes' argument, we should also do the same to RP Singh, as he was often treated with reckless contempt by the Australian batsmen (explaining quite a few of his wickets).

I think 2003/04 is another issue. I think there is absolutely any way anyone can explain to me his selection over Katich at the time.
Really? I personally felt that the selection was inexplicable (and I'm a Symonds fan). :p

Now in 2006/07, I dont think Symonds was setting the domestic scene alight either. He scored prolifically in county cricket, but Hussey had been doing that for years.
He barely played domestic cricket during 2006/07, AFAIK.

Anyways, I personally think that Symonds got far more opportunities than most other players in Australia would get to succeed at no 6 despite many failures.
Possibly, yeah. I don't know who could've come in at #6 in 2005/06 - I'd have to consult the domestic averages.

Indeed, it worked out in hindsight, but no one could have expected Hussey to have performed in the manner he did perform when they did drop Bevan.
Truth be told, I did sense that Mike Hussey had something special - even from the lone 2003/04 ODI that he played in. There was just a poise with which he chased down those runs at his home ground that got me more interested in him. I wasn't as surprised as most when he carved up in New Zealand in 2004/05.

Had he not, it would have left a gaping whole in the Australian middle order. And I shudder to think of what a middle order with both Hussey and Bevan would look like.
Why? :huh:

Dont think Bracken has a chance at the test match level tbh and I would hope the selectors have finally realised that.
I reckon he'd be in contention in swing-friendly conditions (like Brisbane 2005/06), but nowhere else. He simply lacks the pace to trouble the batsmen, who can simply leave his more guileful deliveries (like his cutters) if they don't happen to be hitting the stumps.

Hes always had good footwork against spin and played away from his body against pace.
I question the bold statement, given his raising on the 1990's WACA pitch (a far different beast from the 2000's version). Indeed, some questioned his natural ability against spin. I, too, often get the feeling that it was acquired.

I dont subscribe to the theory that he was worked out during the series. He was the pick of the batsmen at Lords and then got some shocking decisions, some unplayable deliveries and got himself run out.
Was he the pick of the Lords batsmen? I would've thought that Michael Clarke's innings was more pivotal than Martyn's. Martyn's was pretty good, but probably not the best.

Halfway through the series, his confidence was shattered because of it and his performance went downhill,not because of his own technical deficiencies.
A lack of confidence wouldn't have helped, but that would've exaggerated his technical deficiences; in other words, his disintegration was caused by two factors, not just one.

If he really had said technical deficiencies, any half decent bowler would be able to exploit a weakness of poor footwork outside the off stump.
You mean like Mohammad Sami has? :dry: (Of course, Sami isn't good enough to do it regularly)

Yet he has succeeded against most attacks around the world.
Fair call.

How do you know that these calls are correct? Hodge hasnt set the world alight yet and Katich opener is a recipe for disaster IMO.
They were correct over the context of that series (I should've clarified this earlier). I didn't like the Hodge>Hussey decision, either, nor the 'Katich as opener' thing, but both worked. They may not work in India (and I still disagree with both calls in general) but it just shows that theory doesn't always work out in practice.

That is the crux of the issue IMO. Just because a player is selected and succeeds, doesnt mean it is the right choice.
No, it doesn't, but it is just about impossible to prove otherwise in that event. Again, theoretical outcomes do not always work in practice. It's a salient point.

For all we know Hussey would have done better than Hodge.
This is little more than conjecture, really. Moreso, conjecture which is impossible to prove or disprove. Maybe, maybe not.

Phil Jaques was probably the better candidate, but my point was that there were better candidates and Katich really shouldnt have been in the side then.
Yeah, as I said, Jaques would have been the better prospect, given Katich's mixed ODI record during that summer and Jaques 94*...a quite different situation to the Hodge/Hussey affair above.

Last edited:

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I guessed as much. :dry:

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that pace bowling = reverse swing. Idiotic generalisation on my part. I do often find that pacier bowlers generate it more frequently than bowlers of lesser pace, though, assuming that both have the correct wrist position and grip. There's no point being fast and attempting to bowl reverse swing if you lack the wrist position and grip necessary. For instance, I've found that Mitchell Johnson generates more of it than RP Singh - or at least, he did throughout the summer.

I did. However, it was most noteworthy during that little passage in Melbourne.

It can if the bowler doesn't generate a great deal of conventional swing.

Indeed.

RP's economy rate was also infinitely higher than Sharma's. While Sharma demanded respect several times, RP did not seem to. If the Australian batsmen had paid him the respect they showed Sharma (or even Pathan), he would've taken less wickets. Like I said, Sharma was also unfortunate with umpiring decisions and deliveries beating the bat; RP Singh was not.

He wasn't a superstar, but he was pretty damn unlucky. A mid-30's average would've been more reminiscent of how well he bowled.

OK, but he didn't bowl well often enough (I can only recall him bowling two impressive/effective spells, early on in Sydney and Perth). A lot of the time, he was more or less cannon fodder, on the Anderson level.

OK, but SR is lowered as economy rate rises. A good SR means little by itself. I mean, look at Patterson Thompson's SR! :p

Fair point, but I thought that we were discussing his performances during the Aus/Ind test series in question (which I felt were often acceptable, at the very least).

His pace and bounce may cause problems once in a while, but not often enough to really make him a Test force.

If we denigrate Johnson's performances based on the 'poor strokes' argument, we should also do the same to RP Singh, as he was often treated with reckless contempt by the Australian batsmen (explaining quite a few of his wickets).

Really? I personally felt that the selection was inexplicable (and I'm a Symonds fan). :p

He barely played domestic cricket during 2006/07, AFAIK.

Possibly, yeah. I don't know who could've come in at #6 in 2005/06 - I'd have to consult the domestic averages.

Truth be told, I did sense that Mike Hussey had something special - even from the lone 2003/04 ODI that he played in. There was just a poise with which he chased down those runs at his home ground that got me more interested in him. I wasn't as surprised as most when he carved up in New Zealand in 2004/05.

Why? :huh:

I reckon he'd be in contention in swing-friendly conditions (like Brisbane 2005/06), but nowhere else. He simply lacks the pace to trouble the batsmen, who can simply leave his more guileful deliveries (like his cutters) if they don't happen to be hitting the stumps.

I question the bold statement, given his raising on the 1990's WACA pitch (a far different beast from the 2000's version). Indeed, some questioned his natural ability against spin. I, too, often get the feeling that it was acquired.

Was he the pick of the Lords batsmen? I would've thought that Michael Clarke's innings was more pivotal than Martyn's. Martyn's was pretty good, but probably not the best.

A lack of confidence wouldn't have helped, but that would've exaggerated his technical deficiences; in other words, his disintegration was caused by two factors, not just one.

You mean like Mohammad Sami has? :dry: (Of course, Sami isn't good enough to do it regularly)

Fair call.

They were correct over the context of that series (I should've clarified this earlier). I didn't like the Hodge>Hussey decision, either, nor the 'Katich as opener' thing, but both worked. They may not work in India (and I still disagree with both calls in general) but it just shows that theory doesn't always work out in practice.

No, it doesn't, but it is just about impossible to prove otherwise in that event. Again, theoretical outcomes do not always work in practice. It's a salient point.

This is little more than conjecture, really. Moreso, conjecture which is impossible to prove or disprove. Maybe, maybe not.

Yeah, as I said, Jaques would have been the better prospect, given Katich's mixed ODI record during that summer and Jaques 94*...a quite different situation to the Hodge/Hussey affair above.
Mate,

Pace does help in reverse swing as it moves late when bowled at 90mph,

R.P Singh and johnson are more so of the same pace,R.P Singh has clocked speeds
up to 149kph.

What do you expect a 22 year old leftarm fastbolwer to do when he has the pressue of leading the attack after their main bowler who gets injured after playing 1 test and sreesanth is injured,

he lead the attack in sydeny,perth very well and i bet if he was present in adelaide we
could have won the match

he did well in sydney,perth and bowled well against lefthanders and that what matters
other bowling attacks struggle against lefthanders so having him against lefthanders helped
india

i have my doubts that you watched the series most of r.p wickets were of good bowling
not reckless strokes,man use your head.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
up to 149kph.
In T20 (in South Africa no less, where the readings are notoriously high due to the atmospheric conditions), he does not go anywhere near there in ODIs or Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mitch is a consistently faster bowler than RP Singh. Not that it means much, cos RP Singh's pace is perfectly adequate. Its his inconsistent line that often is why he ranges from very good to very poor.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitch is a consistently faster bowler than RP Singh. Not that it means much, cos RP Singh's pace is perfectly adequate. Its his inconsistent line that often is why he ranges from very good to very poor.
Indeed. I also feel that his action underutilises his hyperextention to generate consistent pace, like Akhtar does, without the effort that can only be fully sustained in T20.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. I also feel that his action underutilises his hyperextention to generate consistent pace, like Akhtar does, without the effort that can only be fully sustained in T20.
I reckon he'd be a far worse bowler if he went for pace over anything else. His swing at 130km/h is brilliant when he gets it right and I love watching Apu do well.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
In T20 (in South Africa no less, where the readings are notoriously high due to the atmospheric conditions), he does not go anywhere near there in ODIs or Tests.
go and watch the ind australia odi series in india he got up to 149km,
he bowls in the 140s in the odis and also in the tests,its just that the speed guns used by
espn are faulty,look at his bowling speed through the channel 9 speedometer you will
notice the difference

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
atleast he doesnot bend it like akhtar:laugh:

he bowls at 135-145 so as longa s he swings the ball as he has got a action
that can generate bounce also he is a greta prospect,i thing he will be the best left
arm fast bowler in the years to come

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Mate,

Pace does help in reverse swing as it moves late when bowled at 90mph.
Did you read what I wrote above? I made the mistake of saying that you needed pace to bowl reverse swing earlier, then rectified that by saying that it merely aided it, with the correct wrist position.

up to 149kph.
I don't believe this. During the test series versus Australia, RP Singh bowled at around 130-135 km/h on average (maybe up to 137-138 km/h). During the test series versus South Africa, he was even slower. He is certainly not 'Johnson-quick'. At any rate, Johnson has gone 150 km/h+ in the one-dayers. Even at his flattest, I haven't seen Johnson bowl slower than around 135 km/h.

NOTE: Oh, so that's in T20's huh? South African ones, no less. Brett Lee has also been extraordinarily quick in South Africa. Besides, I notice that bowlers tend to bowl more quickly with the white ball than with the red ball. Shaun Tait and Brett Lee have reached 160 km/h with the white ball, but not (to my knowledge) with the red ball.

NOTE #2: I failed to see a serious difference between the Channel 9 and ESPN speedometers, from what little of RP Singh's performances I could find (and revisit) on YouTube.

What do you expect a 22 year old leftarm fastbolwer to do when he has the pressue of leading the attack after their main bowler who gets injured after playing 1 test and sreesanth is injured.
Leading the attack does give RP Singh some leeway, but not enough for me to state that he bowled well consistently throughout the series. Consultation of his average and economy rate is more than enough to indicate this.

he lead the attack in sydeny,perth very well and i bet if he was present in adelaide we
could have won the match.
Nah, I don't think that he would've made much of a difference in Adelaide. Not bowling in Adelaide would have helped him, actually.

Nobody else generated a great deal of reverse swing, from memory...certainly not enough to avoid the inflation of figures for everybody bar Mitchell Johnson and Ishant Sharma (who both had poor averages at the start).

Stuart Clark, who generates less reverse swing due to his relative lack of pace, had diabolical figures. It's not that hard to ascertain, then, that there wasn't lots of reverse swing on offer for the bowlers. In fact, there wasn't a lot of anything, really. It epitomised a dead track.

He led the attack pretty well early on in Sydney, but certainly not after that. Andrew Symonds, in particular, took him to the cleaners. I don't remember him leaving much of an impression on me in the second innings, although he could've gotten Hussey's scalp.

As for Perth, he leaked runs pretty quickly. That being said, he did take plenty of wickets in the first innings, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't nearly as effective later, though.

he did well in sydney,perth and bowled well against lefthanders and that what matters
other bowling attacks struggle against lefthanders so having him against lefthanders helped
india
Yes, he did bowl better against Australia's left-handed batsmen than he did against the right-handed batsmen. The fact that he got more conventional swing than reverse swing over the series (and bowled better with the new ball) helped him, too, as did some of the reckless strokes.

i have my doubts that you watched the series most of r.p wickets were of good bowling
not reckless strokes,man use your head.
I certainly did watch the series. Occassionally, I had to go out, so I didn't watch 100% of it, but I watched more than enough (and through Cricinfo, too).

As for RP Singh's wickets coming primarily from good bowling, I beg to differ. Let's do a breakdown:

1) Michael Clarke: Full, wide one which Clarke awkwardly cut to Laxman. Not great bowling.
2) Michael Hussey: Full, wide one which Hussey went after outside the off, managed to edge it behind. Not great bowling.
3) Phil Jaques: Short and wide one which Jaques (possibly underestimating the bounce) edged behind. A reckless shot, moreso than good bowling.
4) Matthew Hayden: Good delivery, squared Hayden up outside offstump
5) Michael Hussey: Good delivery, surprised Hussey with the bounce
6) Adam Gilchrist: Decent delivery, got Gilchrist to drive one which moved away slightly
7) Andrew Symonds: Reckless shot, trying to smash a full and wide one, not great bowling
8) Michael Hussey: Full and wide, Hussey threw the bat outside off, not great bowling
9) Adam Gilchrist: Lifter outside off, squared Gilchrist up, good delivery
10) Brett Lee: Decent delivery, with Lee pushing away from his body
11) Stuart Clark: Short and wide, under-edge, not great bowling
12) Michael Hussey: Apparently a poor decision, but not a bad delivery from what I saw
13) Shaun Tait: Missed a swinging half-volley, don't know whether that counts

6-7/13 were caused by reckless shots, more than good bowling. Your argument doesn't hold up. Mine isn't as solid as I thought that it was, admittedly, but that's still a significant portion.

Besides, it still doesn't change the fact that he was often cannon fodder on James Anderson's level, bar early on in Sydney and Perth.

Top_Cat

As for RP Singh's wickets coming primarily from good bowling, I beg to differ. Let's do a breakdown:

1) Michael Clarke: Full, wide one which Clarke awkwardly cut to Laxman. Not great bowling.
2) Michael Hussey: Full, wide one which Hussey went after outside the off, managed to edge it behind. Not great bowling.
3) Phil Jaques: Short and wide one which Jaques (possibly underestimating the bounce) edged behind. A reckless shot, moreso than good bowling.
6) Adam Gilchrist: Decent delivery, got Gilchrist to drive one which moved away slightly
7) Andrew Symonds: Reckless shot, trying to smash a full and wide one, not great bowling
8) Michael Hussey: Full and wide, Hussey threw the bat outside off, not great bowling
12) Michael Hussey: Apparently a poor decision, but not a bad delivery from what I saw

6-7/13 were caused by reckless shots, more than good bowling. Your argument doesn't hold up. Mine isn't as solid as I thought that it was, admittedly, but that's still a significant portion.

Besides, it still doesn't change the fact that he was often cannon fodder on James Anderson's level, bar early on in Sydney and Perth.
Very harsh. Ignores all the good bowling he did between the wickets which more than likely caused a lot of the poor shots. The above reminds me very strongly of when Richard was claiming Glenn McGrath got a succession of poor shots in the early 00's so doesn't deserve credit for the wickets he took. Wickets are rarely down to the wicket-taking ball alone. As Shaun Tait and others have found, bowlers who rely purely on bowling jaffas to take wickets won't take many. Not to mention that the balls he got Hussey, Haydos, etc. with her pretty good anyway, full and swinging away. Yeah they weren't great shots but at that level, you're not going to get batsmen nicking on the defensive all the time. A large part of good swing bowling is drawing the poor shot too. Doesn't mean it's poor bowling at all.

Certainly there were times Singh was ordinary in the series but credit where credit is due his spells with the new cherry in Sydney were outstanding and he deserved every wicket in my view. He bowled relatively well at other times too. Was moving the ball around more than any swing bowler has done in Australia for years.

Top_Cat

Very harsh. Ignores all the good bowling he did between the wickets which more than likely caused a lot of the poor shots. The above reminds me very strongly of when Richard was claiming Glenn McGrath got a succession of poor shots in the early 00's so doesn't deserve credit for the wickets he took. Wickets are rarely down to the wicket-taking ball alone. As Shaun Tait and others have found, bowlers who rely purely on bowling jaffas to take wickets won't take many. Not to mention that the balls he got Hussey, Haydos, etc. with her pretty good anyway, full and swinging away. Yeah they weren't great shots but at that level, you're not going to get batsmen nicking on the defensive all the time. A large part of good swing bowling is drawing the poor shot too. Doesn't mean it's poor bowling at all.

Certainly there were times Singh was ordinary in the series but credit where credit is due his spells with the new cherry in Sydney were outstanding and he deserved every wicket in my view. He bowled relatively well at other times too. Was moving the ball around more than any swing bowler has done in Australia for years.