• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma...overcoached?!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Huge difference between the first two and the last. Play-and-misses and edges that don't carry are never going to result in a wicket; giving a catch will normally see it held and so will do. A let-off (be it dropped catch, missed stumping, Umpiring mistake or whatever) is a massive slice of luck and is a point at which the innings should obviously have been terminated. A play-and-miss or a stroke out of reach of a fielder (be it over his head, past him or short of him) is obviously just a small stroke of luck, and will never result in a wicket.
Do you agree that no fielder takes 100% of his chances?

In which case, do you also accept that a fielder is a certain % likely to drop/hold a catch when given an oppurtunity?

Say a fielder is bad and only takes 50% of avalible chances, if a batsman hits it to him, in individual circumstances he is either 100% out or 100% in, but in actuality every time he gives a chance to that particular fielder he is 50% out, or has a 50% chance of being out(comparable to Schrodinger's cat in a way)

A batsman benefiting from dropped chances is not luck, it is him receiving the % probability that he remains not out at the end of the delivery.

You seem to be stuck with the belief that fielders should A.Catch everything and that B.We should live with the assumption that they do.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're thinking is all wrong imo, you need to stop looking at individual outcomes and look at the overall probability scenarios that are occuring during a delivery.

You term that an edge that doesn't carry was 100% never going to produce a wicket so it isn't 'lucky'. This is determenistic thinking. What you need to look at are the decisions and execution of the batsman in an overall view.
I never said it wasn't lucky at all. Simply that it will never result in dismissal. Something which goes into the hands of a fielder will, and mostly does.
When a batsman reacts to a delivery, there is always a certain % chance of different outcomes occuring, as however good the batsman is he will never be fully certain that his shot will result in one outcome or another.
Yes, and clearly a stroke which ends-up coming off the face of the bat is better than one off the edge. Unless you plan on going through every single delivery of an innings, and then many innings, and finding this, however, it's not going to produce much worth looking at.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

In which case, do you also accept that a fielder is a certain % likely to drop/hold a catch when given an oppurtunity?

Say a fielder is bad and only takes 50% of avalible chances, if a batsman hits it to him, in individual circumstances he is either 100% out or 100% in, but in actuality every time he gives a chance to that particular fielder he is 50% out, or has a 50% chance of being out(comparable to Schrodinger's cat in a way)

A batsman benefiting from dropped chances is not luck, it is him receiving the % probability that he remains not out at the end of the delivery.
No, I don't think it is. A batsman can influence the probability by his stroke, and usually (not invariably, but usually) if he hits the ball in the air to a fielder he's made a bigger error than if he hits it on the ground.

Sometimes a bad stroke won't result in getting out, won't come close to resulting in getting out - this is a small slice of luck. Something which normally will result in being out (ie, hitting the ball in the air to a fielder) not resulting in being out is a massive slice of luck.
You seem to be stuck with the belief that fielders should A.Catch everything and that B.We should live with the assumption that they do.
Fielders indeed should catch everything that's catchable, and whenever they don't it's an error, a very considerable error. Far greater an error than not being able to play the right stroke to a ball sent down to you at 80mph with away-swing, or not being able to bowl 15 consecutive deliveries in the exact spot you are aiming at. Catching is very basic, and it often strikes me as unbelievable that people at international level so relatively regularly (sometimes very regularly) fail to do it.

tooextracool

International Coach
As they were picking him as a batting all-rounder, he had the form ahead of Katich, yes. I thought it a mistake at the time to pick a batting all-rounder and they corrected it by picking Kat later in the series.
Katich is about as good a bowler as Symonds IMO and a much better batsman, especially at the time. The fact that Katich came back and immediately scored runs only made his non-selection even more dire.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nathan Hauritz.
The selection or Hauritz to India 04 was not a horrible selection. He clearly looked a decent ODI prospect for a fair while & pretty much went on the Indian tour for experience IMO. The selection of White ahead of MacGill was stupid though.

the dropping of Michael Bevan.
Not really since it didn't affect the ODI one bit despite the mans great record. I also heared the reasoning once that Bevan suprising wasn't much of team player so when he went into a bit of a trott in VB series 04 & in SRI with Clarke really pushing him he was let go.

The Simon Katich scenario.
I presume this would be his axing for the 1st test vs SRI in 04 after his performance vs IND in SYD?. I wouldn't call this a stupid decision it was more along the lines of the selectors probably reading too much into Symonds bowling performance in the preceding ODI series, thus reckoning he could be a add a bit of depth to the bowling attack given the swealtering conditions they faced. But it just back-fired given Symonds didn't live up.

Brad Williams/Nathan Bracken over Michael Kasprowicz.
Hmm you are going to have to explain this one, although i have a vague idea of where you might be coming from.

the reselection of Nathan Bracken.
Explain this one too, but i presume you are refering to his reselection to the test side after the Ashes?. Lol, if so a bit of an over-exaggeration to call it a stupid selection son..

the non selection of Macgill during the Ashes of 2005

the handling of Damian Martyn post Ashes 05.
Word out, idiot blunders easily the worst two & the only two that stand out for me in my time of watching cricket.

the handling of Martin Love.
What about him?

For the management to have made that many selection blunders with the quality of players that they have at their disposal is just shocking. Players like Watson are picked and made to bat at 7 in ODIs while players like Katich are picked in the wrong form of the game and made to bat out of position at the top of the order despite there being others in the side (Martyn) who could do the job better.
Ha, TEC mate I think you are being a bit too picky in what you regard as stupid selection blunders.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Don't get suckered into Richard's first chance theory talk my friend. You will waste your precious time on CW, since the man firmly believes in it.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
From what I've seen off him I've not been overly impressed by his control but I have been impressed by his variety. He does reverse the ball and he does do a pretty good job going around the wicket (which is unusual for a left hander).
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I've been more impressed by him when he bowls over the wicket, to the left-handers, but that's not saying that much.

I was referring to the India- Australia series. I didnt watch the SL-Aus series.
Fair enough.

AFAIC, Clark was the only one who managed to reverse it for a consistent period in the whole series and that happened in the first test at Brisbane.
The thing is that the first Test against India was played in Melbourne, not in Brisbane - that's why I thought that you were referring to the Sri Lankan series.

Besides, Clark hasn't struck me as being able to work up the pace needed to generate reverse swing. In the first innings, in particular, he troubled the Indian batsmen with off-cutters (Dravid and Dhoni) and 'wobblers' (Yuvraj). The slow outfield and the slightly uneven (although often low) bounce also helped him - not reverse swing, in particular.

Mitchell Johnson, FWIW, got reverse swing towards the end of that Test matches, which he used to dismiss lower-order batsmen and tailenders from around the wicket.

Mitchell Johnson may have got more reverse than conventional in the SL series but thats only because he doesnt get any conventional swing ITFP.
OK, but my point still stands.

Well one must remember that the bowler that you state has more potential averaged 59 for the series which goes to show that averages arent always an accurate indication of performance.
Yeah, that's true. However, while Ishant Sharma had rotten luck with umpires, had to bowl on Adelaide 'Road' and often beat the bat, RP Singh not only didn't have to bowl in Adelaide, but also had some luck with umpiring (i.e - Hussey in Perth). As it is, he often picked up wickets because the Australian batsmen treated him with some amount of contempt.

I can understand your POV, personally though I dont think there is a case for RP Singh to be dropped.
Well, I can't agree, I'm afraid.

It should also be understood that Johnson essentially took half of his wickets in the series by dismissing lower order batsmen and tailenders while RP Singh spent most of his time taking top order wickets before blowing cold and leaking runs.
Yes, that assessment is backed up by StatsGuru. However, that in itself doesn't necessarily indicate that one bowler performed better than the other. There's also the 'dropped catches' factor.

I cannot honestly see how anyone who watched the series can consider Mitchell to have bowled well that series. Yes he averaged 33, but the only reason he did that is because he bowled a line and length that encouraged no batsman to even bother playing a shot at him. The only time he caused problems was when an out of sorts Rahul Dravid tried to play at deliveries that he didnt really need to play at ITFP.
That's slightly harsh. He only really did what you accused him of doing for 3/8 of the Test series, at most. Besides, when he was really erratic, he tended to get punished.

RP Singh on the other hand attacked the stumps more and ended up being more expensive. I think the fact that RP Singh has a better SR for the series is indicative of that.
SR is lowered when the economy rate rises. At any rate, an economy rate of 4.3 is unacceptable and indicates just how erratic RP Singh was for most of the time, save for a brief time early in the Sydney Test match and maybe in the 1st innings of the Perth Test match.

I was referring more to the selections that have been made this decade.
Oh, OK.

While Elliott did play 1 test a few years ago I dont think that was ever a long term selection.
No, it wasn't. He wasn't going to displace anybody in that side and batted slightly out of position.

Im not saying that there werent players that were picked that failed. Im jus saying that most players on the domestic scene in Australia (especially amongst the batsmen) are likely to do decently at the international level.
You seemed to be implying before that any state batsman could do a decent job at the international level. Your argument above seems harder to fault, though.

Consider Symonds for example. Whether Symonds is more deserving of a place in the national side over someone like David Hussey is extremely questionable. However, even he has somehow managed to take the shame away from his selection by performing occasionally at the international level.
Saying that he's only performed occasionally is extremely harsh, given his ODI exploits and his recent (although fortuitious) Test success. Besides, Symonds has been selected thrice: the first time (2003/04), he didn't deserve it; the second time (2005/06), he was a replacement; the third time (2006/07), he was replacing a retiree.

Now, in 2003/04, David Hussey had his first good season (not enough for him to be selected) and in 2005/06, he scored 502 runs at an average of just 31. In 2006/07, he did very well, but it was his first good season for a while. At any rate, the Perth Test occured in early December and I'm not sure whether David had actually reached his peak at that point. Thankfully, Symonds justified the selection.

FWIW, I do think that David Hussey has gotten a raw deal with the Australian selectors lately, but that had more to do with Brad Hodge being preferred in the first Test against the West Indies.

As has been suggested, I was referring to his ODI dropping.
Yeah OK, that was harsh. Truth be told, though, he had struggled for the entire Australian summer and was pushing 34. His dropping paved the way for Michael Hussey's appearance (albeit a little while later) and for a while, the selector's decision to drop Bevan and recruit someone who acted like a Bevan-plus of sorts worked out.

I was referring to his test selection. His ODI selection was a rare good un by the Australian mgmt but his selection for the WACA test against SA was beyond logic as was his original selection over Kasprowicz in 03/04.
His selection over Kaspr in 03/04 was idiotic and his selection for the WACA test turned out to be ill-advised, but I don't think that the spinners did that much better on it, either. It was an utter road, except maybe for the express pacemen.

Cant see him doing a worse job than what Gillespie was doing throughout that series tbh.
True, that.

England were struggling against Warne, and the likes of Strauss, Flintoff and Jones have exactly struck me as being anything other than clueless against leg spin. Again its mere speculation, but I think it would have been a better selection than picking Tait and/or Gillespie that summer.
Yeah, I can't disagree with this - Gillespie looked utterly feckless and I've never rated Tait, either.

Martyn's footwork has never been particularly brilliant.
He wasn't the best with regards to footwork, although he did move his feet well enough to combat the spinners quite aptly in India, on a couple of poor pitches.

During the Ashes, his footwork was basically non-existent for most of the time. There's a difference.

The handling of Martyn was very poor indeed. He was made scapegoat for what was a collective failure by all the Australian players during the Ashes series.
That's true, poor though he was.

He was one of a few players who wasnt worked out during the series and had several poor umpiring decisions that went against him.
I disagree that he wasn't worked out. If you ask me, he has always had a tendency to fish outside offstump with hard hands and little footwork early in his innings. The likes of Mohammad Sami have been known to exploit this - so did Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff. I agree about the poor decisions, though.

Then, he was inexplicably brought back when he had done nothing of what he was supposed to have done to regain his place.
Yes, I agree with this. Brad Hodge, though disappointing a lot of the time, didn't deserve to be dropped.

Tbf he didnt get much of a chance to do so. From the little i saw of him he looked like he had the tools to succeed at the international level, but I am unsure how the likes of Katich, Clarke and even Symonds managed to get in line ahead of him.
Well, I only saw Martin Love in action very briefly (I didn't start watching cricket seriously until January 2004, by which time he had already been dropped from the side), so I can't comment on that. I can only relay what StatsGuru tells me.

I think that there are plenty of mistakes that the Aussie selectors have made this year.
Yeah, there are several selections which I have disagreed with. On the other hand, some of the supposed 'mistakes' (i.e - Katich opening, Brad Hodge>DJ Hussey) turned out to be the correct calls to make. It just goes to show that theoretically-based decisions don't always lead to success in practice, even though they ought to.

He didnt, but he succeeded with flying colors when he had the chance.
Hmm...he didn't in 2005/06. Now that I look back, he did at the turn of the millenium, but that's hardly relevant to Simon Katich opening. Phil Jaques was probably a better candidate (he really got messed around during that VB series, from memory).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Besides, Clark hasn't struck me as being able to work up the pace needed to generate reverse swing. In the first innings, in particular, he troubled the Indian batsmen with off-cutters (Dravid and Dhoni) and 'wobblers' (Yuvraj). The slow outfield and the slightly uneven (although often low) bounce also helped him - not reverse swing, in particular.
Don't disagree with what Clark did but extreme pace isn't a requirement for reverse-swing. Glenn McGrath and even going back as far as Sarfraz (the original one, I mean!) have shown that. Kasprowicz too on occasion. Christ, even Greg Blewett got reverse swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhOdEkWAjQ

I disagree that he wasn't worked out. If you ask me, he has always had a tendency to fish outside offstump with hard hands and little footwork early in his innings. The likes of Mohammad Sami have been known to exploit this - so did Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff. I agree about the poor decisions, though.
Marto was also worked-out in terms of being beaten on the back-stroke. The poor LBW decisions he copped were only made poor by him getting a bit of wood on them. He was a monty LBW's shuffling across anyway and although they were technically not-out, he probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.

Yeah, there are several selections which I have disagreed with. On the other hand, some of the supposed 'mistakes' (i.e - Katich opening, Brad Hodge>DJ Hussey) turned out to be the correct calls to make. It just goes to show that theoretically-based decisions don't always lead to success in practice, even though they ought to.
It also shows that the hard-and-fast 'rules' of the game (if you've never or rarely opened before, you won't be able to open in Tests, etc.) aren't always so hard and fast. Sometimes the stats don't tell you everything.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Isn't the biggest reverse swinger of the ball ... but he does do it, being a close watcher of his bowling
Doesnt do it as much as Lee or Johnson as he isnt as fast.. but his reverse swingers do enough to make the batsmen unsure.. the one that got Yuvraj and also Dhoni reverse swung and the one that got Dravid was the Offcutter imo...

and during the last Ashes in Adelaide too

tooextracool

International Coach
Saying that Katich has succeeded as an opener is open to debate. That he scored runs in a series against WI and only scored those runs when the conditions were unanimously in his favor strikes me as being almost a parallel situation with Neil Mckenzie from SA. IMO Katich as an opener is a setup for failure and a big mistake if pursued by the selectors. I dont mind going out on a limb and stating that I do not expect Katich to succeed as an opener in test match cricket. Its not about the fact that he hasnt opened domestically, he just doesnt have the technique to do so and its painstakingly obvious IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
The selection or Hauritz to India 04 was not a horrible selection. He clearly looked a decent ODI prospect for a fair while & pretty much went on the Indian tour for experience IMO. The selection of White ahead of MacGill was stupid though.
White was selected ahead of Macgill for the test side? I thought White was selected when MacGill pulled out of the Zimbabwe tour. Thankfully for everyone, White hasnt yet played a test match.

Not really since it didn't affect the ODI one bit despite the mans great record. I also heared the reasoning once that Bevan suprising wasn't much of team player so when he went into a bit of a trott in VB series 04 & in SRI with Clarke really pushing him he was let go.
Theres nothing more that you can do to contribute to the team than by scoring runs and winning games. Bevan won countless games and just because he didnt share the kind of the attitude that the team wanted, it doesnt mean that he should have been dropped unceremoniously as he was.

I presume this would be his axing for the 1st test vs SRI in 04 after his performance vs IND in SYD?. I wouldn't call this a stupid decision it was more along the lines of the selectors probably reading too much into Symonds bowling performance in the preceding ODI series, thus reckoning he could be a add a bit of depth to the bowling attack given the swealtering conditions they faced. But it just back-fired given Symonds didn't live up.
Symonds didnt exactly do brilliantly with the ball in the ODI series. Took what, 5 wickets? I dont see how his ODI form is relevant to his test match selection over what should have been an undroppable player. Katich had shown that he had excellent footwork to play the spinners as shown against the likes of Kumble at Sydney. He was the ideal player to have in the subcontinent and the reasoning for his axing for an unproven player is rather dubious.

Hmm you are going to have to explain this one, although i have a vague idea of where you might be coming from.
Explain this one too, but i presume you are refering to his reselection to the test side after the Ashes?. Lol, if so a bit of an over-exaggeration to call it a stupid selection son.
Nathan Bracken and Brad Williams should have come nowhere near test match selection for the india home series in 03/04. Bracken's selection on its own speaks volumes on the selectors ability to judge players given how out of depth he looks at the test level. Meanwhile, kaspa who had been performing day in and day out in both county cricket and domestic cricket didnt get a look in as a replacement for gillespie or mcgrath.

What about him?
Left out after scoring a 100 in his last test match for Simon Katich IIRC.

Ha, TEC mate I think you are being a bit too picky in what you regard as stupid selection blunders.
I dont think so. I think the Australian selectors are given a lot of slack for making some really foolish mistakes simply because they are the best side in the world. McGrath was said to be closed to being dropped almost everytime he came back from injury to emphasise their 'ruthless' nature and the fact is that they could simply afford to make stupid errors because the replacements were either good enough to cover it up or their better players in the side would still win games for them.

Thats it...i'm sick of his bowling tbh..he is nowhere near the same bowler that he was a couple of months ago.The only significant change i can see is that he has started coming very close to the stumps(upon)..whilst this should be the standard approach to be "successful"..i don't think its working for him tbh.The ball is not deviating at all,whereas in Aus he used to come from really wide of the crease and bowl those massive cutters which came in to the RHB and the odd one that held its line.So what do you all think?Is that what is wrong?If it isn't i don't know what could be?
Media, media media and specially indian media. They take a person on skies within one night. Perform just once, sleep at night and next morning you come to know that you have become a super star. What did he do so special in Australia? That was an above average performance. 14 wickets in 10 matches is not a big deal specially when there were supporting wickets of Australia with an added advantage that he was an unseen and pretty under rated bowler by the Australians. Who says that he has the ability to become a world class bowler? Whta is so special you guys have seen in him? Mind one more thing and take it guaranted. Very soon he is going to be banned because of his suspected action. His throws the ball and very soon there would be a question mark on him.

He is a young upcoming bowler. For heaven sake let him learn and take breath. Don't make him a super super star. Every person is not Sachin Tendulkar who could lift the bar. Don't ruin the career of a decent bowler by making him a super star. Let him groom and become a decent bowler. He is under extreme pressure because he is not getting the same kind of support from the wickets as he got in Australia. He won't be able to bear the pressure and would finish much earlier than his normal career as it has happened to many other decent indian players.

Ishant is not overcoached, he is overrated as its been a problem with indian cricket for the last so many years. Many have been spoiled in past and i don't know how many to come next.

tooextracool

International Coach
The thing is that the first Test against India was played in Melbourne, not in Brisbane - that's why I thought that you were referring to the Sri Lankan series.

My mistake that, I guess I had been thrown off by the fact that Australia usually start their test series' at Brisbane. I was referring to the 1st test against India at Melbourne.

As has already been suggested by others, you dont really need considerably pace to generate reverse swing. Mcgrath did it on loads of occasions in the subcontinent and Hoggard recently managed to do it in Adelaide. Clark did reverse swing the ball at Melbourne, that I am certain off. The ball that got Dhoni from memory reverse swung a fair bit before hitting him on the pads and not long after Ganguly was nearly caught in the slip cordon with another reverse inswinger.

Mitchell Johnson, FWIW, got reverse swing towards the end of that Test matches, which he used to dismiss lower-order batsmen and tailenders from around the wicket.

If he did, I certainly didnt notice it or he didnt manage to do it consistently enough during a spell.

OK, but my point still stands.
Yes, but i dont see why it matters that RP Singh generates more conventional swing. The fact is that he is capable of reversing the ball in the right conditions and that is a good skill to have.

Yeah, that's true. However, while Ishant Sharma had rotten luck with umpires, had to bowl on Adelaide 'Road' and often beat the bat, RP Singh not only didn't have to bowl in Adelaide, but also had some luck with umpiring (i.e - Hussey in Perth). As it is, he often picked up wickets because the Australian batsmen treated him with some amount of contempt.
Commone, he took 6 wickets in 3 tests as opposed to RP who took more than twice as many. At some point, someone has to raise his hand and say that Ishant didnt exactly bowl as well as some people imagine him to have done.

Well, I can't agree, I'm afraid.

Yes, that assessment is backed up by StatsGuru. However, that in itself doesn't necessarily indicate that one bowler performed better than the other. There's also the 'dropped catches' factor.

That's slightly harsh. He only really did what you accused him of doing for 3/8 of the Test series, at most. Besides, when he was really erratic, he tended to get punished.

SR is lowered when the economy rate rises. At any rate, an economy rate of 4.3 is unacceptable and indicates just how erratic RP Singh was for most of the time, save for a brief time early in the Sydney Test match and maybe in the 1st innings of the Perth Test match.

Look, Im no RP mark and I dont think he bowled brilliantly in that series. However, from what I watched he bowled well in some spells (mostly with the new ball) and bowled waywardly in others, but when he bowled well he looked very good and caused Australia plenty of problems. He was expensive but he had a good SR.
As far as Johnson is concerned, I simply cannot see how a bowler that is straight up and down will be successful at the test match level, especially with such a flat trajectory even at nearly 90mph. If he doesnt swing the ball, he offers no perceivable threat to the batsmen. Yes he had dropped chances of him and a lot of them were off Dravid, but he also had plenty of poor strokes played against him, again a lot by Dravid.

Saying that he's only performed occasionally is extremely harsh, given his ODI exploits and his recent (although fortuitious) Test success. Besides, Symonds has been selected thrice: the first time (2003/04), he didn't deserve it; the second time (2005/06), he was a replacement; the third time (2006/07), he was replacing a retiree.
I am referring solely to his test career. As you yourself have admitted hes had a fortuitous test career thus far. I think he is far from the best no6 option for Australia and even he has tasted some success in tests.

Now, in 2003/04, David Hussey had his first good season (not enough for him to be selected) and in 2005/06, he scored 502 runs at an average of just 31. In 2006/07, he did very well, but it was his first good season for a while. At any rate, the Perth Test occured in early December and I'm not sure whether David had actually reached his peak at that point. Thankfully, Symonds justified the selection.

FWIW, I do think that David Hussey has gotten a raw deal with the Australian selectors lately, but that had more to do with Brad Hodge being preferred in the first Test against the West Indies.

I think 2003/04 is another issue. I think there is absolutely any way anyone can explain to me his selection over Katich at the time.
Now in 2006/07, I dont think Symonds was setting the domestic scene alight either. He scored prolifically in county cricket, but Hussey had been doing that for years. Anyways, I personally think that Symonds got far more opportunities than most other players in Australia would get to succeed at no 6 despite many failures.

Yeah OK, that was harsh. Truth be told, though, he had struggled for the entire Australian summer and was pushing 34. His dropping paved the way for Michael Hussey's appearance (albeit a little while later) and for a while, the selector's decision to drop Bevan and recruit someone who acted like a Bevan-plus of sorts worked out..
Indeed, it worked out in hindsight, but no one could have expected Hussey to have performed in the manner he did perform when they did drop Bevan. Had he not, it would have left a gaping whole in the Australian middle order. And I shudder to think of what a middle order with both Hussey and Bevan would look like.

His selection over Kaspr in 03/04 was idiotic and his selection for the WACA test turned out to be ill-advised, but I don't think that the spinners did that much better on it, either. It was an utter road, except maybe for the express pacemen.
Dont think Bracken has a chance at the test match level tbh and I would hope the selectors have finally realised that.

HHe wasn't the best with regards to footwork, although he did move his feet well enough to combat the spinners quite aptly in India, on a couple of poor pitches.
During the Ashes, his footwork was basically non-existent for most of the time. There's a difference.
Hes always had good footwork against spin and played away from his body against pace. I dont subscribe to the theory that he was worked out during the series. He was the pick of the batsmen at Lords and then got some shocking decisions, some unplayable deliveries and got himself run out.Halfway through the series, his confidence was shattered because of it and his performance went downhill,not because of his own technical deficiencies. If he really had said technical deficiencies, any half decent bowler would be able to exploit a weakness of poor footwork outside the off stump. Yet he has succeeded against most attacks around the world.

How do you know that these calls are correct? Hodge hasnt set the world alight yet and Katich opener is a recipe for disaster IMO. That is the crux of the issue IMO. Just because a player is selected and succeeds, doesnt mean it is the right choice. This is something i feel strongly about regarding Pietersen's selection over Thorpe in the Ashes in 2005. For all we know Hussey would have done better than Hodge.

Hmm...he didn't in 2005/06. Now that I look back, he did at the turn of the millenium, but that's hardly relevant to Simon Katich opening. Phil Jaques was probably a better candidate (he really got messed around during that VB series, from memory).
Phil Jaques was probably the better candidate, but my point was that there were better candidates and Katich really shouldnt have been in the side then.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Media, media media and specially indian media. They take a person on skies within one night. Perform just once, sleep at night and next morning you come to know that you have become a super star. What did he do so special in Australia? That was an above average performance. 14 wickets in 10 matches is not a big deal specially when there were supporting wickets of Australia with an added advantage that he was an unseen and pretty under rated bowler by the Australians. Who says that he has the ability to become a world class bowler? Whta is so special you guys have seen in him? Mind one more thing and take it guaranted. Very soon he is going to be banned because of his suspected action. His throws the ball and very soon there would be a question mark on him.

He is a young upcoming bowler. For heaven sake let him learn and take breath. Don't make him a super super star. Every person is not Sachin Tendulkar who could lift the bar. Don't ruin the career of a decent bowler by making him a super star. Let him groom and become a decent bowler. He is under extreme pressure because he is not getting the same kind of support from the wickets as he got in Australia. He won't be able to bear the pressure and would finish much earlier than his normal career as it has happened to many other decent indian players.
I agree with you that he is slightly overrated, as is this Indian team IMO

However, the reason why he was talked about was not the wickets he took - it was more what he bowled.. it was quick, bouncy and he moved the ball significantly off the pitch... he is a talent and the manner he dealth with those right handers (Ponting Clarke Symonds) was quite frightening ..angling it in and seaming it away
If it wasnt for the spell he bowled to Ponting - than perhaps he wouldnt be as talked about, but that really made him famous i recn

he was also very successful in the CB Series with this same approach

Lambu

U19 Debutant

Do not assume things,thank you:)