• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a good question.

For comparison, do you think Ashwin is an atg bowler?
Don't think either are.

Was just watching a documentary on Hammond, and someone mentioned how loosely we use the term great, far less ATG.

Jimmy was a great of the game and of his era, not quite ATG quality.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
No fast bowler will ever get close to 700 wickets. And the way he is still bowling well at 42 years of age is a miracle in itself.. I doubt any other pacer will be able to replicate either of these feats. So his longevity and consistency is unprecedented. He has been a quality bowler for way too long all around the world ...for him to be excluded from ATG status just because he is ONE avg point off from the magical 25 mark.

Avg of 26 is as good as 24-25 when someone has had a career as long as him. He has played twice as long as other greats. I am sure within his whole career, you would find a long enough phase/mini-career (which would constitute an entire career for another great) where Anderson is averaging early 20s. So his career already contains ATG levels.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Far from perfect, but the guy was one of the best 2-3 quick bowlers in the world for well over a decade. I get it's fun to meme on him but since 2010, he has 550 wickets @24 and good numbers pretty much everywhere he's played.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

He's arguably better than guys like Pollock/Walsh were as bowlers so if they're ATGs, then Anderson is one too imo.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I think he is ATG for his longevity, and he reached a world class level for a decade or so.
However he owes a lot of his status to the fact that he plays for England. ECB deserves a lot of praise on how they managed Broad and Anderson.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Far from perfect, but the guy was one of the best 2-3 quick bowlers in the world for well over a decade. I get it's fun to meme on him but since 2010, he has 550 wickets @24 and good numbers pretty much everywhere he's played.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

He's arguably better than guys like Pollock/Walsh were as bowlers so if they're ATGs, then Anderson is one too imo.
The only thing he has on them is longevity.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Of course he is. You only have to look at some of the ‘No’ voters for affirmation. Burgey. Son of Coco. Shady. Shri. It’s like a Who’s Who of Insecure Chips on the Shoulder when it comes to Jimmy.

There will never be another like him but those named above will continue to live in denial for many years to come

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If you ignore longevity, it's perfectly fair to judge him on the 15 year period where he's taken 550 wickets @ 24 with a very good away record.
If you don't ignore longevity, the guy has 700 ****ing wickets.
Exactly this......you wouldn't think it was so hard to comprehend. But for some people it seems it is.