• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Xuhaib

International Coach
In my opnion following Indian Cricketers are better than Dhoni in ODIs:-

Kapil Dev,
Sachin Tendulkar,
Navjot Sidhu.
Md. Azharuddin,
Anil Kumble,
Modinder Amarnath,
Rahul Dravid,
Saurav Ganguly,
Yuvraj Singh
Sunil Gavaskar

Top 10 Pakistani Cricketers better than Dhoni :-

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram,
Waqar Younis,
Saqlain Mushtaq
Javed Miandad
Inzamam Ul Haq
Salim Malik
Md. Yusuf
Shoaib Akhtar
Saeed Anwar,

Lankan Cricketers better than Dhoni :-

Aravinda Desilva
Muralitharan
Sanath Jaisuriya

From WI :-

Sir IVA Richards,
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Curtly Ambrose,
Malcolm Marshall
Joel Garner
Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd
Carl Hooper

From Australia :-

Mark Waugh
Ricky Ponting,
Dean Jones,
Shane Warne
Mathew Hayden
Adam Gilchrist
Glen Mcgrath
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan

I am sorry but I think I have made my point..
Surely you were taking the piss with these names.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dhoni's career is too young for us to come to any conclusion as broad as he is the greatest ODI player of all time. Richards and Tendulkar compete for the title and opinions differ from person to person who was better between the two. Tendulkar hasn't even finished his ODI career, so there are more milestones to be added.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanath Jayasuriya takes the title. Great batsman, good spinner, great fields man, very impressive captaincy record, exemplary on and off field behavior and a long long career. Only Viv Richards and Imran Khan can challenge him with all round abilities.
Well and truly belongs in the argument, IMO.
You're judging greatness on how someone looks while batting?

Does the quality of their hair enter the equation?
Yes, and Dhoni in his longer hair incarnations was very questionable on the style front.

Well, give him 3 shots to go for it.
Give him the Aussie bowling attack and get him three appearances.
Gilchrist scored runs in all 3 WC finals he played in, not just the last one. He did step it up in the WC final as a rule. Mind you, Dhoni hasn't had a chance to yet, so who knows?
Sehwag.
Average 1.5 points lower, strike rate 6 points higher.
Which proves his point that no one has scored at a higher rate AND higher average than Gilchrist.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
**** forgot to add a poll.

Just as well. Of all the idiotic polls that been around recently this would have been the most pathetic. It's no wonder so many former regular posters don't bother any more. This is embarrassing.
In fact this is almost stupid enough to end up on Cric info.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Which proves his point that no one has scored at a higher rate AND higher average than Gilchrist.
Quite true. And nobody has scored at a higher rate AND a higher average than Dhoni. So what does that say about the validity of that point?

Neil Pickup

Quite true. And nobody has scored at a higher rate AND a higher average than Dhoni. So what does that say about the validity of that point?
Other players in this category: Shahid Afridi, John Davison, Andrew Symonds, Michael Hussey.

(Q: 20 innings - relaxing this can lead to the inclusion of Hashim Amla or Martin Guptill)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Just as well. Of all the idiotic polls that been around recently this would have been the most pathetic. It's no wonder so many former regular posters don't bother any more. This is embarrassing.
In fact this is almost stupid enough to end up on Cric info.

Neil Pickup

None of the players mentioned satisfy both criterea.
Not what I said. I listed players who, like Churchy and Viru, have no-one in ODI history with a higher strike-rate and average. I actually missed RTD off the postscript, too.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think Dhoni is a strong contender for an all-time ODI team but he has a long way to go before he can be called the greatest ODI cricketer. At the moment I think that title goes to Viv quite comfortably. He has a strong case for being the greatest ODI batsman with an amazing strike rate for his day. He was also a useful part-time bowler and a magnificent fielder.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Not what I said. I listed players who, like Churchy and Viru, have no-one in ODI history with a higher strike-rate and average. I actually missed RTD off the postscript, too.
Huh? How can more than one person have a higher SR and average than anyone else in history?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dhoni being CRIMINALLY underrated here.

The guy averages 49 in ODI cricket at a strike rate of 91.

Seriously how many players in the history of ODI cricket have had an average over 45 and a strike rate over 90 ?

Viv's the only one I can think of ......

Anyone who thinks Gilly is a class above Dhoni in ODI cricket is kidding themselves.....