• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you ever worry that your willingness to inhibit yourself to an unlimited degree in order to avoid offending people will gradually turn you into an incredibly boring person?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you ever worry that your willingness to inhibit yourself to an unlimited degree in order to avoid offending people will gradually turn you into an incredibly boring person?
That train departed long ago.

RossTaylorsBox

I think you're overestimating the amount of cognitive effort that goes into not offending people. For 95% of situations you can pretty much work out what to not say based on social cues. The only thing that changes is you make less unfunny ***ist and racist jokes than you did in high school.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't understand why Mel McLaughlin is deemed to not be worthy of her place just because she is hot? I'm sure there are attractive male journalists, yet no one ever wonders if that is why they are hired.
I never said that. And honestly it is so tiring when I have to respond to everything with "I didn't say that" because people read so much of their own preconceptions about the opinions of others into posts that they don't even read the posts.

McLaughlin's actual merit is completely and utterly irrelevant to my point. I can't be any clearer.

I don't care whether the "misogyny" I am referring to comes directly from Channel 10, from "the viewers" or from Channel 10's incorrect assumptions about the viewers.

I do believe that a form of misogyny is probably present in the role she currently plays in the BBL coverage. I can't prove that as a matter of fact. I believe that not because of my own misogyny but because of my belief that there are broader misogynistic forces at play.

91Jmay

International Coach
I never said that. And honestly it is so tiring when I have to respond to everything with "I didn't say that" because people read so much of their own preconceptions about the opinions of others into posts that they don't even read the posts.

McLaughlin's actual merit is completely and utterly irrelevant to my point. I can't be any clearer.

I don't care whether the "misogyny" I am referring to comes directly from Channel 10, from "the viewers" or from Channel 10's incorrect assumptions about the viewers.

I do believe that a form of misogyny is probably present in the role she currently plays in the BBL coverage. I can't prove that as a matter of fact. I believe that not because of my own misogyny but because of my belief that there are broader misogynistic forces at play.
Yeah that is a fair comment I shouldn't have put words in your mouth/keyboard.

watson

Banned
There is always something worse that adds a little perspective.

German leaders condemn mass ***ual assault on women on New Year's Eve in Cologne

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition condemned a "new dimension" of crime after scores of women reported being ***ually assaulted as they passed though a group of about 1000 men during New Year's Eve celebrations in downtown Cologne.....

German leaders condemn mass ***ual assault on women on New Year's Eve in Cologne

Uppercut

I think you're overestimating the amount of cognitive effort that goes into not offending people. For 95% of situations you can pretty much work out what to not say based on social cues. The only thing that changes is you make less unfunny ***ist and racist jokes than you did in high school.
Maybe you're right, but I don't think I'm the only one who finds less inhibited people much more fun to be around, and it's definitely not because they tell more racist jokes.

RossTaylorsBox

Yeah but what makes you think inhibited people are that way because they're walking on eggshells all the time. I don't really think there's a strong correlation to be honest.

grecian

Maybe you're right, but I don't think I'm the only one who finds less inhibited people much more fun to be around, and it's definitely not because they tell more racist jokes.
So it's just the ***ist ones that are fun then.

TBH, I'm going to bed, just a little more depressed about the World. Finding a 36 year old man crass and quite frankly unfeeling about the feelings of anyone, isn't really disliking someone for lack of inhibition, more disliking someone for a lack of a moral core when it comes to members of the opposite ***, when he should know a lot better.

Again I, and I'm sure others would like to leave this subject alone, but whilst crap defences keep being made, I guess people will keep going on.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Loving the devil advocacy going on in this vacuum. For a second I almost forgot that women have been putting up with this **** for millenia and have had to fight for the right just to hold jobs such as interviewer and be taken seriously as such against a power structure established by men for men with the prevailing attitudes geared towards men.

Uppercut

So it's just the ***ist ones that are fun then.

TBH, I'm going to bed, just a little more depressed about the World. Finding a 36 year old man crass and quite frankly unfeeling about the feelings of anyone, isn't really disliking someone for lack of inhibition, more disliking someone for a lack of a moral core when it comes to members of the opposite ***, when he should know a lot better.

Again I, and I'm sure others would like to leave this subject alone, but whilst crap defences keep being made, I guess people will keep going on.
FTR I'm definitely not defending Gayle. Guy's a bell-end.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think I get what you're arguing about TH, but I think what people mostly disagree with is that it's a bigger debate perhaps left for another thread, or at least that strikes me as such anyway. It's shifts the focus away somewhat from the issue at hand which seems to be revolving around whether what Gayle did was wrong or blown out of proportion.

RossTaylorsBox

I think you'll see these attitudes slowly disappear though. People getting salty about PC GONE MAD are going to die out soon or be overwhelmed by the majority attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.