• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Banned
Good opportunity for Gayle to say he tried to cover his junk but the towel only covered half of it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well sure. I do similar things to many that you have listed. But if I gave a lift home to a colleague of the wife (as I do now and again) and had Oasis on, and they said 'I find Oasis offensive' do you think I should turn it off?
The correct response is to ask them to leave the car.

burr

State Vice-Captain
“It’s almost like these women can’t even take a joke. It’s like being constantly under pressure in your industry through no fault of your own might not have you ready to burst into a fit of giggles. It’s like being reminded of the male-domination of your industry and the power they hold to put you in very uncomfortable positions on live national television in a scenario that will dominate newspaper coverage and could have a lasting effect on your entire career isn’t just a big old barrel of laughs.
“I don’t get it. I keep telling people that they need to lighten up because from my perspective, though I have not ever experienced anything like this even as a one-off, let alone as a horrible fact of your life that has reared its ugly head since your adolescence, I think I’d just shake it off.”

Cricketer Claims Comments Were ?Just A Fun Bit Of Workplace Harassment? | SBS Comedy

burr

State Vice-Captain
And...yep.

“I know that people will hear me and think that I’m being a whinging female, but the thing is stuff like this happens ten times a day when you’re in a male-dominated industry and people just need to trust us, that it’s not okay. When we say something like ‘this is offensive’, just hear it rather than saying ‘oh shut up, get over it, you’re being too serious, take it as a joke’."

- Neroli Meadows

Female Sports Journos Are Calling Out Chris Gayle As ?A Repeat Offender? Who ?Humiliates? Women | Junkee

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know whether Gayle is "perverted" or not (eye of the beholder and all that), but I don't think anyone can realistically question that he's a misogynist. Seems pretty clear, to me anyway, that he is.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't find a lot wrong with what you're saying but I think there is a distinction here. While we may all like her more because she is attractive (and that makes her better at her job or whatever), it doesn't necessary equate to being okay with someone making her actually doing her job difficult. Gayle could try to chat her up all he likes behind the scenes, but let her do the job as she is trying to do it.

Taking your point to its extreme, we should be okay if Gayle tried to kiss her as well.
That wasn't my point though. I didn't equivocate or say "it should be ok for Gayle to do literally anything ***ual because of the ***ual undertones of her hiring". I was merely pointing out that the same TYPE (as opposed to the same EXTENT) of misogyny appeared to be present both in Gayle's comments and in McLaughlin's role in the first place.

It's not equivocation or justification, it just seemed to me to be an obvious and relevant thing to point out.

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't understand why Mel McLaughlin is deemed to not be worthy of her place just because she is hot? I'm sure there are attractive male journalists, yet no one ever wonders if that is why they are hired.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't understand why Mel McLaughlin is deemed to not be worthy of her place just because she is hot? I'm sure there are attractive male journalists, yet no one ever wonders if that is why they are hired.
Tbf that would explain the prominence of Jamie Redknapp.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyone else read captain cooks posts in the voice of a bloke who swigs a litre of energy drink per day and sells atheist army t shirts on campus?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else read captain cooks posts in the voice of a bloke who swigs a litre of energy drink per day and sells atheist army t shirts on campus?
My immediate reaction was '13-year-old CoD player just literate enough to have read Dawkins', tbh.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This I guess relates more to the discussion with Dan.
Here's a list of things I think we agree on:
1. Chris Gayle has the right to not be subjected to the coercive force of the state for asking Mel McLaughlin out on air.
2. However, Chris Gayle is a dickhead to do that.
3. Private citizens and private corporations have every right to roundly pan Gayle's comments, and in the Renegades case, to fine him for his conduct.
4. Everybody deserves the same human rights, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, ***uality etc.

Now, the things we might not agree on:
5. You or I have no moral right to tell Mel McLaughlin that her response was an overreaction or underreaction. We don't know what's going on in her head.
6. Refusing to take people's grievances seriously is a dick move -- and is a problem when the people whose grievances are often not taken seriously are disproportionately in positions lacking power (i.e. this narrative of 'you overreacted' is part of broader social trends that delegitimise people's experience and serves to effectively silence them, despite both parties having free speech rights).

In short, this has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.