• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Bumrah the best cricketer India has ever produced?

Is jasprit bumrah the best cricketer india has ever produced?

• Total voters

Xix2565

International Regular
Hopeless lot if you think Bumrah wouldn't have won Tests in any era of Indian cricket just by being in the XI. While I wouldn't put him over Tendulkar just yet because of Tendulkar having a massive career overall, he's at worst in the top 3 of the greatest Indian cricketers with Tendulkar and Ashwin. Kapil and Gavaskar round out the top 5.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fighting words.
If you were I would not have had dinner with you in NYC last year.

On the OP, Bumrah is easily the best quick India has produced. I don't really see how that's seriously arguable. So having him in the argument is not outrageous, but I still have Kapil ahead as an overall cricketer. Tendulkar probably second given his overall record and longevity then it would be a toss up between Bumrah and the likes of Ashwin and Jadeja. Like, if I'm picking a bowler only I'm having Bumrah all the time but as cricketers in total, those guys probably shade him.

Love him though, he's box office.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and you think Bumrah would have changed those results?
Maybe he would have. Historically the best test sides have had good pace attacks. It's no coincidence India has begun to perform a ton better overseas since Bumrah and Shami came on the scene, along with Ishant becoming decent as he aged then Siraj being more than decent too.
Bumrah is the type of guy you can build an attack around across all conditions. Having someone like him is flat out invaluable imo.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bumrah is the 2nd greatest cricketer ever from India and as soon as he cracks 400 test wicket barrier with more or less the current average and SR, he'd slot himself at the very top.

Bumrah perhaps is already the most VALUABLE cricketer to come from India ahead of Sachin. To also become the greatest ever his body of work needs to be wider and deeper.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Nah still behind Tendulkar, Dev, Kohli, Gavaskar, Dravid and possibly Ashwin (my order) but I could see him being in the level of the galacticos before he retires.
i can get on board with sachin. can see the argument for gavaskar, ashwin and dev. but kohli and dravid? come on man lol
dravid especially is a nonsense call.

ma1978

International Debutant

On the OP, Bumrah is easily the best quick India has produced. I don't really see how that's seriously arguable. So having him in the argument is not outrageous, but I still have Kapil ahead as an overall cricketer. Tendulkar probably second given his overall record and longevity then it would be a toss up between Bumrah and the likes of Ashwin and Jadeja. Like, if I'm picking a bowler only I'm having Bumrah all the time but as cricketers in total, those guys probably shade him.

yeah I could buy Kapil over Tendulkar totally.

ma1978

International Debutant
Hopeless lot if you think Bumrah wouldn't have won Tests in any era of Indian cricket just by being in the XI. While I wouldn't put him over Tendulkar just yet because of Tendulkar having a massive career overall, he's at worst in the top 3 of the greatest Indian cricketers with Tendulkar and Ashwin. Kapil and Gavaskar round out the top 5.
you're missing the point, what's the incremental benefit if yuo take out Tendulkar and replace him with Bumrah. A net negative if you ask me.

Xix2565

International Regular
you're missing the point, what's the incremental benefit if yuo take out Tendulkar and replace him with Bumrah. A net negative if you ask me.
Better wicket taking/restriction of runs -> Lower opposition totals -> Lower totals to overcome for Indian batters.

Easier to make up or approximate for Tendulkar's runs across all conditions than Bumrah's wickets.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant

Kohli?

Socerer 01

International Captain
this is because "here" is full of morons
think Bumrah was 21st or 23rd anyways behind dudes like Rabada, Cummins and Anderson so its not like op’s statement of “not even top 20” is the big slight it was supposed to be

Socerer 01

International Captain
the gap between Tendulkar and the next best domestic Indian batsman that would have played is smaller than the gap between Bumrah and ****ing Venkatesh Prasad or the 3rd pacer that played

Socerer 01

International Captain
in any case if this thread is meant to be a pure test only discussion then its pointless since he hasnt played any test in 3 months to change opinions significantly