• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IR Bell pretty little fifties thread

Chin Music

State Regular
Ah, my favourite thread from the old forum. The thing with Root was that even though he was failing to convert, if you combined the records of the rest of his teammates in that period, they were even worse! It was a particular English disease at the time.

Globally, Niroshan Dickwella is, err, dick-ing on everyone from a great height currently. 22 fifties, HS 96. He's even exceeded his sometime teammate Mathews who for a long trot in the early part of his career was averaging over 50 despite having only converted 4 of 25 50+ scores. He's been more effective converting since, even though his average has fallen back to 45!
Didn't think it would take you too long to find this! Not surprised that the old 247 regulars enjoy this, but it seems to be popular enough with others! ND indeed has a very peculiar record although to be honest he was a rather ordinary wicket-keeping batter who was better with the gloves than bat, albeit a dreadful review caller being my main memory of him.

I note the mention of Graham Thorpe. He probably did slightly underachieve with the number of tons he scored, but he tended to ton up when the team was under pressure and was less likely to score big when the team already had a big score on the board. One of my favourite players from the 90s/early 00s when 3 runs an over was seen as good going.

Molehill

International Captain
If someone has twice as many 50-99 scores as they have hundreds, that's a conversion rate of 1/3, since the rate is the proportion of 50+ scores that reach 100.

So a 50% conversion rate (as many hundreds as 50-99 scores) is actually really high. Bradman, M Clarke, Hayden, Younis Khan, Vaughan and Kohli are the only players with 4000 runs and 50% or better.
Agreed on the Conversion rate calculation, but I was looking at the 50's to 100's ratio. If someone has 40 50's, then more than 20 tons would be better than a 50% ratio.

Chin Music

State Regular
Interesting table, a couple of other interesting things. Warne got a lot of ducks, more than Anderson in considerably less innings.

And Anderson's number of not outs is surely a figure that will never be challenged.
In his earlier days, Anderson was a reasonably effective blocker and nurdler although he seemed to decline after the 2009 South Africa tour. Warne was just a shot player so he was more prone to getting out quickly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In his earlier days, Anderson was a reasonably effective blocker and nurdler although he seemed to decline after the 2009 South Africa tour. Warne was just a shot player so he was more prone to getting out quickly.
Jimmeh only got out once in his first ten Test innings - he had a Test average of 43.

He was still averaging 15 with the bat after 40 Tests which was right before that 2009 SA tour you mentioned.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can we place a trigger warning for @OverratedSanity ?

Anyways the king of this in ODIs is Misbah - 162 games, averaged a healthy 43 with 42 fifties. 0 tons.
A lot of this was just because he ran out of time. Batted 5 and had a very low strike rate for the era he played in. Eight of his top nine scores were not outs between 76* and 96* - good chance there were some tons in that lot if he scored marginally quicker or came in marginally earlier.

Coronis

International Coach
A lot of this was just because he ran out of time. Batted 5 and had a very low strike rate for the era he played in. Eight of his top nine scores were not outs between 76* and 96* - good chance there were some tons in that lot if he scored marginally quicker or came in marginally earlier.
Cricket is a game of fine margins.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmeh only got out once in his first ten Test innings - he had a Test average of 43.

He was still averaging 15 with the bat after 40 Tests which was right before that 2009 SA tour you mentioned.
I'm really not sure if I'm dreaming this but didn't Jimmy get close to holding a record for no ducks?

Chin Music

State Regular
I have no idea of the quality of the innings but surely a special mention needs to be made for Alex Carey, scoring 99 in a futile chase and not making a rare ton.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no idea of the quality of the innings but surely a special mention needs to be made for Alex Carey, scoring 99 in a futile chase and not making a rare ton.
Yeah good point. He was definitely a bit scratchy, even going off the highlights, few top edged/leading edge sixes and atleast one drop, but him in the runs is a massive plus after thr recent lean patch.

I'm really worried about the head situation though. Him and maxwell potentially being out really hurts our WC chances. Hopefully marsh can repeat his efforts from the last india series or we could be in deep ****e.