• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India : What next??

Bun

Banned
Ramachandra Guha lies the blame squarely at the feet of the IPL. From cricinfo:

"My view, and not mine alone, is that the existence of the IPL is the main reason India is no longer the No. 1 team in Test cricket. The case can be made on cricketing grounds, without any reference to the business methods of Lalit Modi or N Srinivasan. If India have performed poorly in the ongoing Test series against England, the excessive burdens placed on the players by the IPL are surely a key factor. That Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, and Zaheer Khan had to play that tournament immediately after the World Cup is why they had to miss the West Indies tour and did not recover their full fitness for the England tour. The under-performance of other major players, such as MS Dhoni, is likewise linked to the fact they have been playing too much cricket."
Bunnish in it's knee jerkness but yeah no doubt the timing ipl 4 did damage our planning for this series. Winning a world cup is no joke and instead of giving them a breather it just trivialized the whole thing bu getting them up and running days after the epochal win to perform in a forgettable 2 month circus.

BCCI needs to really think about this. When England failed it to make it in the world cup, many including the media excused them by saying how exhausted they were after a triumphant ashes series down under. We might have played more cricket perhaps than them in a similar window but we are totally out of excuses. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Dissector

International Debutant
The IPL clearly hurt India this time but that is neither here nor there. The IPL is here to stay and India will have to plan around it. I think pruning the number of ODI's will be a good start. Reducing the number of test series against second-tier teams would be another. I can live with fewer tests against the West Indies or NZ if it means better-rested players and better preparation against the top teams. Obviously more tour games are necessary, at least two at the beginning of every tour to England, South Africa and Australia.

Unfortunately the craziness is going to continue well into the next year. India have had a ridiculous schedule since October. Before this series they played 11 tests, a world cup and IPL as well a bunch of bilateral ODI's. After this tour they will have 5 ODI's against England, 3 tests against the West Indies, 4 tests against Australia and another 3 against Pakistan followed by another IPL.

In around 20 months they will have played 25 test matches, two IPL's , a world cup and more than 30 additional ODI's. Absolute madness.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
sorry if i came across a bit harsh in that post, but aren't we jumping the gun here? The same approach yielded us a world cup and no.1 in test cricket for almost 2 years.

and for all the planning and what not from england's side, they have been no.1 for just days. Yes, the manner in whcih they took the crown has been nothing but emphatic, but one swallow doesnt make a summer.

Let them convert this underlying approach and philisophy into a sustained and consistent reign at the top and let's see.
India being number one has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You look for areas for improvement. You can still look to improve even when you are number 1 and frankly, India can improve. They look out of shape and **** in the field. I couldnt give a **** if India were number 1 or number 10. I know Duncan Fletcher will want to work them. It remains to be seen if the players want to do the unglamerous work behind the scenes. Obv I come from a different culture but being poor in the field is looked down on terribly. It is viewed as a lack of athleticism, team play, hard work. All of which are damning.

Your post did come across a little harsh and petty but that is ok as it makes it even more rewarding that we dicked you.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramachandra Guha lies the blame squarely at the feet of the IPL. From cricinfo:

"My view, and not mine alone, is that the existence of the IPL is the main reason India is no longer the No. 1 team in Test cricket. The case can be made on cricketing grounds, without any reference to the business methods of Lalit Modi or N Srinivasan. If India have performed poorly in the ongoing Test series against England, the excessive burdens placed on the players by the IPL are surely a key factor. That Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, and Zaheer Khan had to play that tournament immediately after the World Cup is why they had to miss the West Indies tour and did not recover their full fitness for the England tour. The under-performance of other major players, such as MS Dhoni, is likewise linked to the fact they have been playing too much cricket."
Yeah, I saw that. The point about Sehwag's surgery aside, it's bollocks. County cricket should theoretically have exerted infinitely more stress on overseas bowlers than the 24 deliveries sent down in an IPL game and no one ever tried to pin an Indian cricketer's failings on playing that.

I suspect he's secretly (or subconsciously) just hoping that if he blames everything that goes wrong with Indian cricket on the IPL, it'll go away.

Bun

Banned
India being number one has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You look for areas for improvement. You can still look to improve even when you are number 1 and frankly, India can improve. They look out of shape and **** in the field. I couldnt give a **** if India were number 1 or number 10. I know Duncan Fletcher will want to work them. It remains to be seen if the players want to do the unglamerous work behind the scenes. Obv I come from a different culture but being poor in the field is looked down on terribly. It is viewed as a lack of athleticism, team play, hard work. All of which are damning.

Your post did come across a little harsh and petty but that is ok as it makes it even more rewarding that we dicked you.
Just because it doesn't fit your stereotype of a bunch of sportsmen, whom you'd think should all be Adonis-Hercules mould, doesn't mean they have to be **** all.

Lol@ the bolded part. Not worth replying as there are a bunch of mods waiting to infract me.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I saw that. The point about Sehwag's surgery aside, it's bollocks. County cricket should theoretically have exerted infinitely more stress on overseas bowlers than the 24 deliveries sent down in an IPL game and no one ever tried to pin an Indian cricketer's failings on playing that.

I suspect he's secretly (or subconsciously) just hoping that if he blames everything that goes wrong with Indian cricket on the IPL, it'll go away.
it's not just 24 balls. they have to bowl in the nets too.
most importantly they have to travel all over the place every few days.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just because it doesn't fit your stereotype of a bunch of sportsmen, whom you'd think should all be Adonis-Hercules mould, doesn't mean they have to be **** all.

Lol@ the bolded part. Not worth replying as there are a bunch of mods waiting to infract me.
Did you even read what Goughy just said...There's got to be a problem when one of your fast bowlers looks like his spent the last five weeks at the open buffet

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. if this is not a sign that IPL is overworking players, then I dunno what is. The amonnt of travel involved there is just insane. As long as we are churning out good players, at least some rotation is possible to keep guys fresh and fit. But with the talent pool suddenly showing up to be so inadequate, I am afraid even worse thrashings are what is in store for us. BCCI of course, would pay no heed as long as people still keep queuing up to watch IPL and the Indian team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I do not mind the IPL. I like it a lot, in fact. But it has too many teams. The latest additions were not necessary. It is not needed to be so long drawn out. The stupid rule of one game at a time is not required. There are a million things and million ways to improve everything around IPL. I would start with ensuring no one is playing when they are not fully fit, whether it be of their own choice or due to compulsions from owners and "others"...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd fire the physio and coach first, that's what I'd do. What are they for if they can't detect and report players hiding injuries?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And why the **** does he want to go to Australia half fit again and then have surgery?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's probably because he's afraid of someone usurping his spot. India could play a Mithun in Sri Lanka, he could do well, but nobody would notice even if so; and Ishant would be back in the next series. But if a replacement did well in Australia or England, it'd be tough to keep him out of the team in the series' to follow. That's how it is. That must be it. It can't be Ishant speaking out of concern for the Indian team performance in Australia, as he would have us believe, because we all know that the present ****e Ishant wouldn't help our chances one bit.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ishant would do well in Australia tbf and with ZAK doubtful he could be crucial there. But not a half fit one for sure.

Also does it mean he misses the matches in between and the home series against WI ? Because he is good at home too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
lol.. if this is not a sign that IPL is overworking players, then I dunno what is. The amonnt of travel involved there is just insane. As long as we are churning out good players, at least some rotation is possible to keep guys fresh and fit. But with the talent pool suddenly showing up to be so inadequate, I am afraid even worse thrashings are what is in store for us. BCCI of course, would pay no heed as long as people still keep queuing up to watch IPL and the Indian team.
Just reduce the whole **** tournament to 2 weeks length. That will take care of a lot of things.