• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would 80s WI and 2000s Australia fare in unbeatable current India?

Socerer 01

International Captain
1st test, In India, VS AUS:

IND XI:
1.Rohit
2.KL
3.PUjara
4.Kohli
5.Rahane
6.Pant
7.Jadeja
8.Ashwin
9.Kuldeep
10.Bumrah
11.Shami

AUS XI:
1.Hayden
2.Langer
3.Ponting
4.Mark Waugh
5.Steve Waugh
6.Clarke
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Mcgill
10Gillepsie
11.Mcgrath

Australia win the toss and bat, Spinning Pitch, Bit of cloud forcasted for day 4 and 5, but otherwise perfect conditions.

Day 1 Lunch: 126/3 Hayden 53 Jadeja 1-25

Day 1 Tea: 225/4 M Waugh 77* Ashwin 2-54

Australia 294 All out: M Waugh 90(119) 14 x 4, Hayden 53(115) 7 x 4, Ashwin 3-81 Bumrah 2-41

End of day 1: India 23/0

Lunch day 2: India 117/6 Pujara 38* Warne 3-44

India 166 All out: Pujara 60(143) 5 x 4, Mcgill 4-23, Warne 4-62

Tea day 2: 78/3 Langer 35 Hayden 32 Yadav 2-13

End of day 2: 236/4 M wAUGH 78 S Waugh 64* Yadav 2-79 Yadav 1-29

Lunch day 3: 327/8 Jadeja 4-66

Tea day 3: Australia 386 all out: Clarke 85(185) 12 x 4 1 x 6, M Waugh 78(97) 15 x 4, S Waugh 70 (97) 10 x 4, Jadeja 4-71, Shami 3-86

India 227 All out, Australia win by 287 runs: Jadeja 82(109) 15 x 4, Pant 42(53) 6 x 4 1 x 6, Warne 6-71

Mark Waugh MOTM

Other notable performances: Warne 10 fer
Jadeja 5 wickets and 86 runs.

Scorecards:
View attachment 39388
View attachment 39389

View attachment 39390

https://gyazo.com/9109104eda829d98b3e60f6d3b323472

View attachment 39391
bro are you unironically using cricket captain as the sim?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You are so very disingenuous, my only stance had been it would be an incredibly close series and I have no idea who would win.
That team went over a decade without loosing a test and you believe they would be whitewashed or beaten 3 -0.
2-1 India is something that I can also agree with. Does Lance Gibbs factor in your plans or are you talking about the great windies team post his retirement? In India, you will definitely need a decent spinner to win a test. 4 pacers just won't do, however good the pacers are. Even the fastest fishes can't swim on land.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
Genuinely interested as to where they would place this Indian team among the pantheon of great teams.

There's the Australia 2002 - 2007 unit

West indies 1976 - 1988 unit

The invincibles

The South Africa pre ban team and also the 2000's one.
Richie Benaud’s Australian team were also very good.

subshakerz

International Coach
Even though I think Kohli's team is better, I think the Dravid/Dhoni team actually achieved more. Won in WI, England and NZ. Drew against a very strong SA team. Rose to number one in all three formats and won 2 WCs.

kyear2

International Coach
2-1 India is something that I can also agree with. Does Lance Gibbs factor in your plans or are you talking about the great windies team post his retirement? In India, you will definitely need a decent spinner to win a test. 4 pacers just won't do, however good the pacers are. Even the fastest fishes can't swim on land.
Depending on iteration of the team, Harper can play a role

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yeah no in the latter half of the 60’s Australia and England were the best teams (besides SA). SA beat them both, in their limited opportunities (self inflicted of course), they were clearly seen as the best team in the world at the time of their exclusion. Windies were experiencing a brief lull between their early 60’s dominance and then we all know what happened.
Limited opportunities is the keyword. They played neither long enough nor with enough teams for mevto really rate them.... Rating a team isn't the same as rating players imo.

subshakerz

International Coach
Genuinely interested as to where they would place this Indian team among the pantheon of great teams.

There's the Australia 2002 - 2007 unit

West indies 1976 - 1988 unit

The invincibles

The South Africa pre ban team and also the 2000's one.
Let's also not forget 1950s England.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
And yet you’re fine rating the Invincibles? Ok
The South African team had won a grand total of 3 series from 1965 to the time of thier ban (that is, over a period of 5 years); and 2 were at home against Australia and only away in England..... And just before that away English win, they lost one at home to England.

Coronis

International Coach
The South African team had won a grand total of 3 series from 1965 to the time of thier ban (that is, over a period of 5 years); and 2 were at home against Australia and only away in England..... And just before that away English win, they lost one at home to England.
The Invincibles won a grand total of one test series..

And yes they won all 3 of their last test series. Already knew that but thanks for the heads up

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The Invincibles won a grand total of one test series..

And yes they won all 3 of their last test series. Already knew that but thanks for the heads up
And conveniently ignore the previous loss at home not more than a year prior..... Australia had won 7 consecutive series from '45 to '51 and won multiple Ashes as well as defeated other teams as well.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Which is why I have repeatedly said they were the best team in the second half of the 60’s. What is so hard to understand?
It's not! It's simply that 1 away series win followed by a home series loss and 2 home series win; while not playing a challenging team and 2 other teams based on racism isn't enough for me to place them really among the ATG teams.

Coronis

International Coach
It's not! It's simply that 1 away series win followed by a home series loss and 2 home series win; while not playing a challenging team and 2 other teams based on racism isn't enough for me to place them really among the ATG teams.
And again I say, you’re fine including The Invincibles even though its just one series? Each team can only play the opposition put in front of them - and South Africa beat the top two nations besides themselves at the time, and were clearly ranked by everyone as the #1 team in the world by 1970.