• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I am supporting New Zealand for this, I love the brand of Cricket they have played all tournament, all out attack that's how Cricket should be played, they deserve a first World Cup title, but they can take anything for granted against Australia.
I thought you didn't like the minnows, Bleed_Blue.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Baird's re-elected so we're ****ed. Australian cricket is always stronger under a Liberal government #howardjthoughts

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How good is it watching the 03 WC Final on Fox and seeing Zaheer yap it up before Ponting comes in and it's one handed sixes? Sooooo good
Did they show the full game or highlights? Usually find highlights on tv tedious. They started showing full games for a while in the night on tv, but they don't do it any more here, sadly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did they show the full game or highlights? Usually find highlights on tv tedious. They started showing full games for a while in the night on tv, but they don't do it any more here, sadly.
Just highlights mate. You had to get in early to watch Zaheer gob off. Funniest hing ever.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woke up to a Hindu mobile notification "Gutsy Kiwis look to take on mighty Australia".

****ing lol. You can't make this **** up.
I don't think they're gutsy as much as they punch above their weight, never say die and are greater than the sum of their parts. They've done so well to get this far with a team lacking any really great players. That's the fighting Black Caps spirit which makes them hard to beat, despite not having any really big names ......

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Was going to trim or remove the winter beard this morning then I remebered the game. It can wait one more day. :)

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Way too much pessimism from kiwi posters here I reckon. I don't know if you are just trying not to get your hopes up too much but I don't like it.

We don't have to be perfect, if aussie bat first and are 0/100 after 15 don't get too upset we still have a lot more overs to get back in to it.

I reckon fielding is going to be huge. If we take all our chances that will go a long way towards winning. This world cup has seen many games change from winning single moments and taking big catches.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How does this compare with the rugby finals and biggest days in New Zealand sporting history? From what I gather, the buzz trumps even the rugby finals. Have always heard that rugby is the biggest sport in the land. Some one putting down a few thoughts on how the atmosphere is in New Zealand would be nice..

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
I reckon fielding is going to be huge. If we take all our chances that will go a long way towards winning. This world cup has seen many games change from winning single moments and taking big catches.
I was thinking about fielding too. A couple of runs was all that separated NZ and South Africa. That's a couple of dives on the boundary, or a de Villiers/Williamson dive at cover to prevent a boundary. All those little things in the field could be decisive today. Aussie have good fielders. NZ have some good fielders too

Flem274*

123/5
Leading story on the Herald online
Letter from Baz said:
Today's World Cup Final highlights just how special the game of cricket is for New Zealanders. Never before have I seen the game and the Black Caps embraced so enthusiastically by our own. All over the country, our team has received incredible support - and I want you to know it's this sense of belonging that we take into the final today. What's our motivation? Our motivation is to play for you.

Make no mistake, we've felt your belief. We've heard the chants, the cheers and the roars. We've seen the emotion in the faces of the children; in the faces of the mums and dads, and the grandfathers and grandmothers. We've seen grown men in tears; we've seen strangers hugging and we've seen the elderly dancing. I'm not sure how to say this but we've never felt quite so "New Zealand" in all our lives.

The feeling in the camp ahead of today's showdown is as calm and collected as we can manage. Having our partners, wives and families with us throughout the tournament has helped maintain an air of normality in the camp, and that's helped keep things grounded.

Our mission is simply to give the best performance we can, and leave everything on the field. No one can be expected to do more than that, and no one will be asked.

Yes, the result today will be enormous. But beyond that, the success of this tournament will be seen in the ongoing popularity of the game. The early signs are that, because of this World Cup, there will be more New Zealanders playing, watching and supporting cricket, that more people will be considering and discussing the game - and that's something we should all be excited about. The legacy from this event will live on for decades.

We've already seen evidence of this with the crowds around the country, the well-wishers and the media attention. Registrations on our new website: myblackcaps.co.nz - where you can get all the inside oil on our team - have sky-rocketed beyond expectation. As I write this in my Melbourne hotel room, supporters are gathering outside waiting for a glimpse of our players. Something very special is happening.

This is a good chance for me to say to everyone, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Thank you to the fans for giving us such encouragement; thank you to the World Cup volunteers for all your hard work; to the World Cup organisers for putting together such a fantastic event, and to everyone else involved in making this such a successful time.

But mostly, can I just say thank you to New Zealand - for being there with us today.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
How does this compare with the rugby finals and biggest days in New Zealand sporting history? From what I gather, the buzz trumps even the rugby finals. Have always heard that rugby is the biggest sport in the land. Some one putting down a few thoughts on how the atmosphere is in New Zealand would be nice..
rugby is more popular in NZ but it's a rubbish sport that literally no other country really cares about so this is a bigger deal

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think they're gutsy as much as they punch above their weight, never say die and are greater than the sum of their parts. They've done so well to get this far with a team lacking any really great players. That's the fighting Black Caps spirit which makes them hard to beat, despite not having any really big names ......
Nah, not sure I completely agree with this. What you say was very true of past NZ sides, but this one has that same attitude and spirit but combined with some truly great players.

This NZ team stacks up on paper very well against Australia today.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, not sure I completely agree with this. What you say was very true of past NZ sides, but this one has that same attitude and spirit but combined with some truly great players.

This NZ team stacks up on paper very well against Australia today.
whoosh

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh OK..........it's early tbf.

Edit:

I should have paid more attention to who posted that, but I do get the impression it is view shared by a lot of (less informed) people because it has been so true of most NZ sides throughout my time of watching cricket. But yeah, Burgey..........I should have known better.

Last edited: