• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Cheering for the Black Caps tomorrow. Question to the Nz fans, how big this win will be for NZ cricket in terms of popularity among the common Newzealander if they actually do it? I understand cricket is the third most popular sport in the country?
I've seen Grandma, grandpa, builders, church goers, pastors, teen girls, receptionists talking about cricket, excited about "Martin Elliot" winning the game for us, kids allowed to stay late to watch, excited about the final, and looking forward to discuss the result during next week's following up with me.

On the media level, X factor NZ is bumping their live performance show to Monday to #backtheblackcaps, possibly due to a large portion their demographic viewers will skip the show for cricket, large enough that will affect the ratings.

I would say at least on par with the rugby WC and above that damn America's cup.

ThunderBoult

Cricket Spectator
Been watching cricket for 30 years and tomorrow will be a great occasion,, following the black caps thru thick and thin,

all a nice script really given anzac anniversay, an emotional summer for the aussie team following hughes death, crowe's issues.

just watched Clarke last press conference, the guy is a class act, a great occasion but also those who keep eye on the ball and not clouded will win.

all this crud about warner being boorish or the aussies behaving badly, sledging etc..is much irrelevent and bit insecure really.

They are an awesome team and the way they dismantled india(who seem more like arrogant premadonnas) was a great exhibition of the skills
this team has....just glas aus, sa or nz win the thing because the importance of great bowling shouldn't be overlooked and the semis showed that

unfortunately sa are out thru a combo of cruel luck, trying too hard, and panic at crucial moments despite great plays.

sometimes the kiwis give the aussies a ribbing about warner or maxwell etc and supposed ego personalities, but really part of it
is that the aussies win a lot, specially their cricket team, so it's more about aussies losing a bit to even the ledger.

around the millenium seemed like aussie was winning everything it touched lol...but awesome olypics besides.

so ahead of this clash i pose these:

all this talk of the toss being crucial and having to bat first is peeving me off...a great cricket team should be happy with either.

if aussie bats first and makes a par/below apr score..say 250...HOW WILL McCullum play his innings given he's under a lot more pressure to keep his wicket than score quickly

Q2: will the ball swing for boult..if not..NZ are in huge trouble...in all thier matches so far..they have got early wickets which has had a stark impression on the dynamics of the game.

I honestly believe, regardless of nz batting first or second, is that NZ must have aussie 3 down by the 15 over mark....if they don't the aussie will go to town on vettori...and that "card" we have will become a bonus for them. if the aussies are say 3 down for 60..they can't afford to attack vettori for fear of losing more wickets..and that actually makes vettori even more dangerous..mccullum will create dangerous fields etc.

In 30 years of watching cricket..despite all the hype surrounding nz and how much I dearly want them to win..the HEAD is saying australia at me.

Southee and Boult and henry have enormous pressure on them. They need to be hitting the seam and realesing perfectly always outside off

and on the full side for boult...mccullum win set attacking field for boult...one idea is 5 slips but then get trent bowl and inswinger..hoping warner/finch might overdrive it.

I have a feeling southee will get smashed..problem being the kind of bowler he is...he needs to hit the seam first two overs and get an edge or it's not looking good.

the weather forecast is blue skies....unfort for nz...but them weather was on our side in auckland.

if we lose , we've done very well to get the country back talking cricket and behind the team again.

I remember 92 like it was yesterday..and there again...akrams element of reverse swing..removing lamb and lewis...won pakistan the world cup.
we have two white balls now..and that reverse swing element appears lost...which is why it's so crucial to get early wickets..

all this talk of 350 vs 300 is irrelevant if early wickets fall...they were saying about 350 vs 300 before the auckland match last month.

all in all, great occasion and just wanna see good cricket....and yeah..full respect to the aussie team from a kiwi.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Been watching cricket for 30 years and tomorrow will be a great occasion,, following the black caps thru thick and thin,

all a nice script really given anzac anniversay, an emotional summer for the aussie team following hughes death, crowe's issues.

just watched Clarke last press conference, the guy is a class act, a great occasion but also those who keep eye on the ball and not clouded will win.

all this crud about warner being boorish or the aussies behaving badly, sledging etc..is much irrelevent and bit insecure really.

They are an awesome team and the way they dismantled india(who seem more like arrogant premadonnas) was a great exhibition of the skills
this team has....just glas aus, sa or nz win the thing because the importance of great bowling shouldn't be overlooked and the semis showed that

unfortunately sa are out thru a combo of cruel luck, trying too hard, and panic at crucial moments despite great plays.

sometimes the kiwis give the aussies a ribbing about warner or maxwell etc and supposed ego personalities, but really part of it
is that the aussies win a lot, specially their cricket team, so it's more about aussies losing a bit to even the ledger.

around the millenium seemed like aussie was winning everything it touched lol...but awesome olypics besides.

so ahead of this clash i pose these:

all this talk of the toss being crucial and having to bat first is peeving me off...a great cricket team should be happy with either.

if aussie bats first and makes a par/below apr score..say 250...HOW WILL McCullum play his innings given he's under a lot more pressure to keep his wicket than score quickly

Q2: will the ball swing for boult..if not..NZ are in huge trouble...in all thier matches so far..they have got early wickets which has had a stark impression on the dynamics of the game.

I honestly believe, regardless of nz batting first or second, is that NZ must have aussie 3 down by the 15 over mark....if they don't the aussie will go to town on vettori...and that "card" we have will become a bonus for them. if the aussies are say 3 down for 60..they can't afford to attack vettori for fear of losing more wickets..and that actually makes vettori even more dangerous..mccullum will create dangerous fields etc.

In 30 years of watching cricket..despite all the hype surrounding nz and how much I dearly want them to win..the HEAD is saying australia at me.

Southee and Boult and henry have enormous pressure on them. They need to be hitting the seam and realesing perfectly always outside off

and on the full side for boult...mccullum win set attacking field for boult...one idea is 5 slips but then get trent bowl and inswinger..hoping warner/finch might overdrive it.

I have a feeling southee will get smashed..problem being the kind of bowler he is...he needs to hit the seam first two overs and get an edge or it's not looking good.

the weather forecast is blue skies....unfort for nz...but them weather was on our side in auckland.

if we lose , we've done very well to get the country back talking cricket and behind the team again.

I remember 92 like it was yesterday..and there again...akrams element of reverse swing..removing lamb and lewis...won pakistan the world cup.
we have two white balls now..and that reverse swing element appears lost...which is why it's so crucial to get early wickets..

all this talk of 350 vs 300 is irrelevant if early wickets fall...they were saying about 350 vs 300 before the auckland match last month.

all in all, great occasion and just wanna see good cricket....and yeah..full respect to the aussie team from a kiwi.
Good to have you with us. Wish my first post was as good as this. I think I wasted the occassion bemoaning the non selection of Scott Styris at the time.

One thing you posted caught my eye. You mentioned Lamb in the 1992 final. There is a silly joke on facebook at the moment about Elliott being the first South African to have played in a final. But I was sure Lamb had played and you have confirmed it.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am supporting New Zealand for this, I love the brand of Cricket they have played all tournament, all out attack that's how Cricket should be played, they deserve a first World Cup title, but they can take anything for granted against Australia.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing you posted caught my eye. You mentioned Lamb in the 1992 final. There is a silly joke on facebook at the moment about Elliott being the first South African to have played in a final. But I was sure Lamb had played and you have confirmed it.
Lamb also played in the 1987 final vs. Australia.

EDIT: Thought for a moment that Phil Edmonds was South African, but he was a Rhodesian, I think (1979)

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
looks fake and feels very un-Baz like. he's not the type to beg opposition fans to support NZ.
Are you suggesting that these letters he keeps sending me since I signed up to blackcaps.co.nz aren't actually from him? Lies and slander.

Flem274*

123/5
Are you suggesting that these letters he keeps sending me since I signed up to blackcaps.co.nz aren't actually from him? Lies and slander.
of course not. i even got one too. that's so nice of him to write to us!

that one in the link looks rubbish though. a hashtag that isn't #backtheblackcaps and not a silver fern in sight? faaaaaaake

smnzer

Cricket Spectator
Another first post!

I'll start by saying that this final is a unique opportunity; something which we won't see for years, if not decades. A certain degree of pride is on the line. Thunderboult pretty much summed up the bowling side; but I will say that it is ship up time for Southee as well.

A great part of Boult's bowling in this WC has been his maiden overs; which put a tremendous amount of pressure on the batters. Morkel and Tahir showed us in the semi final how a few dot deliveries can easily create a wicket opportunity in the next over.

If Southee isn't on the top of his game, they'll use him as a pressure release and that will make both Boult and Vettori less effective.

As for the NZ batting? I don't know. They've shown some resilience against the best bowling line ups, but Starc scares me, especially after the semifinal. The fielding/bowling setup prevented India from even reaching the RRR for 280, let alone 320. A repeat of that performance could mean absolute disaster tomorrow. I'll be ****ting bricks when NZ is batting tomorrow, especially because of the way McCullum has been batting. Unpredictable, you don't know what is going to happen.

I also have a bad feeling that not only will Williamson fail to perform, but the fact that a complete batting collapse will occur unless Ross Taylor chips in tomorrow. This also depends on whether or not McCullum gets going; expect many yorkers from Starc tomorrow. And I have a feeling that Johnson will be much better prepared for McCullum this time. Not expecting a quickfire 50 this time as the Aussies will try to neutralize him immediately.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Showing all the old WC finals here. Just waiting for the replays of NZ's establishment of their final-winning, sorry final-appearing, pedigree. Apparently not shown until 2:30 tonorrow

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember everyone jumping on me when I said the Aus vs. NZ game was not meaningless, and there was plenty to take out of it.

One of the points I made was it was a good test for Southee and seeing how he handled a genuine big game. Well it is about to get bigger. If NZ bowl first, I'll be keenly watching how he goes with the new pill (well I'll be keenly watching the whole game tbf, but you get my point).

I hope he does well, and I'm backing him to have learned from it personally. Whereas Zaheer in 2003 did not have his "learn from the pressure" game earlier in the tournament, and completely bottled it.

Also veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery keen to see how Australia will bat if they lose a couple of early wickets.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Woke up to a Hindu mobile notification "Gutsy Kiwis look to take on mighty Australia".

****ing lol. You can't make this **** up.