• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking ahead to next season Lancs need to sort out the Anderson situation. No England contract, it's up to the county to pay him. Do they buy into this year's narrative that he wanted to play a couple of games in September? Plus they need to recruit properly from overseas no repeat of Venkatesh Iyer as an "all rounder" who didn't bowl and batted at eight. Who was he kidding? Wonder who won his signed shirt and what they did with it.
If it was down to me, I'd want Anderson in the squad as much for how much the younger guys would learn from training and playing with him. And obviously I'd expect him to be well worth his place in the side anyway.

Reactions: FBU

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Sure, we won't be terrible, even allowing for Foakes not being nearly as good a batsman as Smith. And Foakes would have been playing anyway, so you really talking about whichever batsman replaces Smith. But it's so rare for a team to win it four times in a row, and there are some very good sides who look capable of stepping up next summer. Not just Hampshire, Somerset and Essex, but Durham look promising too.
That's why I added Lawrence but I see he played a lot. Patel is the most likely player to step up with another half a dozen games, plus the extra couple from Lawrence.

What's Abbott and Abbas combined age?

Third_Man

State 12th Man
If it was down to me, I'd want Anderson in the squad as much for how much the younger guys would learn from training and playing with him. And obviously I'd expect him to be well worth his place in the side anyway.
Agreed but that what the hierarchy believed would happen post the Lord's test, don't see it happening myself. But they need to know prior to overseas recruitment. Let's not pretend Blatherwick and (the out of contract) Stanley will do a job. Wood certainly wont.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't bet against them, although that may depend on how soon age kicks in with your quicks. Which I suppose is what you're referring to with 'one or two more chances'. Did Barker even play many games this season? But yes, you have that perfect situation of very good players who aren't likely to be called away for international duties. Rightly or wrongly in the case of Dawson. Good team though. You absolutely smashed my boys just before the first break from the CC. Being so few points behind Surrey must make your poor start even more frustrating.

Looking ahead to next season, the increased number of international call-ups now that Smith and Atkinson look like fixtures in the England side must make it hard for Surrey to win it again. Even more so if Worrall gets the nod as he's eligible next year. I hope he doesn't for all sorts of reasons, but being able to actually get onto the park must help his cause.
Yeah Barker only played 4 games this season. I keep thinking it will maybe be a year to far for Abbott but then he is just as good as ever. Hardly took a wicket in the first few games and still averaged 20 for the season. No idea if we will see more of Turner next year or not.

Only concern is I am sure there was something about PSL being played later next year because of the Champions trophy? If Vince and Dawson played that instead it would cause major issues but guess it would hit other counties as well.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's why I added Lawrence but I see he played a lot. Patel is the most likely player to step up with another half a dozen games, plus the extra couple from Lawrence.

What's Abbott and Abbas combined age?
You need to add Barker as well which easily gers you over 100.

Abbas is not actually that old and pretty sure he could bowl like this until he is 45 anyway.

chris.hinton

International Captain
FINAL TABLES

Division 1

1. Surrey 231
2. Hampshire 214
3. Somerset 196
4. Essex 194
5. Durham 171
6. Worcestershire 162
7. Warwickshire 159
8. Nottinghamshire 155
====================
9. Lancashire 134
10. Kent 99

Division 2

1. Sussex 237
2. Yorkshire 217
=================
3. Middlesex 196
4. Northamptonshire 161
5. Leicestershire 155
6. Glamorgan 146
7. Gloucestershire 142
8. Derbyshire 122

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Stumps are drawn and autumn nights draw in. The players exit the stage, they cannot stay, for the hasting day has done and they say farewell. Wherever they go and whatever they do for the next six months, as county cricketers they will sleep, as with Arthur in Avalon, and where from some will not return. The scorebook is completed, tallied off and a line drawn under. Exeunt.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Roll of Honour

County Championship

Division 1 - Surrey
Division 2 - Sussex

Twenty20 Cup

Winners - Gloucestershire

One Day Cup

Winners - Glamorgan

Top 5 Batsman (County Championship)

1. Colin Ingram (Glamorgan) 1351 @90.06