• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I see Northants have signed Krish Patel from Surrey on a two year deal. Came through the academy List A debut with Surrey last year.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Notts got 487 - Impressive amount

Warwickshire 68-2

Lancashire look favourites to go down, 119-7, Worcestershire 180 all out

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hampshire have been really good since those first few games when they played on some pretty terrible pitches. I so want this team to get a title, maybe have one or two more chances.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Lancashire are officially relegated
But it's still possible to beat Worcestershire and Nottinghamshire & Warwickshire only draw.
The season would then end with Lancashire relegated with 4 wins and Notts safe with 2 wins and Warwickshire safe just with 1 win. Unlikely, but would be good just to hear Anson, Gidney, Chilton & Benkenstein's excuses. They claim they have one of, if not the best age group system. But fail to realise if the age group system is so good what goes wrong at 1st XI level:
Singh (av 14.0), Bell (av 21.40), Flintoff (av 12.43), Hurst (av 32.24), Balderson (av 20.64) might all be England u19 internationals but something is wrong in the dressing room when their first class averages are that bad - and that's before Wells 29, Bohannon 34, Jennings 45 (last year 33, 59, and 52 respectively) while for example Fraser McCann can score two hundreds for equally struggling Nottinghamshire.

Last year Jones, Balderson, Bohannon, Hurst, Jennings, Mitchell and Salt all averaged 40+ this year only Jennings (and 5 of his last 7 innings have been single figures). The bowling has similarly declined Bailey & Williams combined 89 wickets last season this season 39 so far. Hartley couldn't buy a wicket so they release Parkinson.

Will probably be their first stay in Division Two of more than one season. Been relegated 4 times before (only Worcestershire have a worse yo-yo record) always promoted straight back. Will 2025 be the first season in Division 2 and not achieve promotion?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hampshire have been really good since those first few games when they played on some pretty terrible pitches. I so want this team to get a title, maybe have one or two more chances.
I wouldn't bet against them, although that may depend on how soon age kicks in with your quicks. Which I suppose is what you're referring to with 'one or two more chances'. Did Barker even play many games this season? But yes, you have that perfect situation of very good players who aren't likely to be called away for international duties. Rightly or wrongly in the case of Dawson. Good team though. You absolutely smashed my boys just before the first break from the CC. Being so few points behind Surrey must make your poor start even more frustrating.

Looking ahead to next season, the increased number of international call-ups now that Smith and Atkinson look like fixtures in the England side must make it hard for Surrey to win it again. Even more so if Worrall gets the nod as he's eligible next year. I hope he doesn't for all sorts of reasons, but being able to actually get onto the park must help his cause.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I wouldn't bet against them, although that may depend on how soon age kicks in with your quicks. Which I suppose is what you're referring to with 'one or two more chances'. Did Barker even play many games this season? But yes, you have that perfect situation of very good players who aren't likely to be called away for international duties. Rightly or wrongly in the case of Dawson. Good team though. You absolutely smashed my boys just before the first break from the CC. Being so few points behind Surrey must make your poor start even more frustrating.

Looking ahead to next season, the increased number of international call-ups now that Smith and Atkinson look like fixtures in the England side must make it hard for Surrey to win it again. Even more so if Worrall gets the nod as he's eligible next year. I hope he doesn't for all sorts of reasons, but being able to actually get onto the park must help his cause.
Foakes must be an ideal replacement for Smith and isn't Fisher inbound to replace Atkinson. Lawrence will be available again.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Looking ahead to next season Lancs need to sort out the Anderson situation. No England contract, it's up to the county to pay him. Do they buy into this year's narrative that he wanted to play a couple of games in September? Plus they need to recruit properly from overseas no repeat of Venkatesh Iyer as an "all rounder" who didn't bowl and batted at eight. Who was he kidding? Wonder who won his signed shirt and what they did with it.

Reactions: FBU

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Foakes must be an ideal replacement for Smith and isn't Fisher inbound to replace Atkinson. Lawrence will be available again.
Sure, we won't be terrible, even allowing for Foakes not being nearly as good a batsman as Smith. And Foakes would have been playing anyway, so you really talking about whichever batsman replaces Smith. But it's so rare for a team to win it four times in a row, and there are some very good sides who look capable of stepping up next summer. Not just Hampshire, Somerset and Essex, but Durham look promising too.