• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
No more CC cricket till September? Tragic. Makes it difficult especially for the northern teams to be
competitive in the CC when the matches are shunted mainly to the early spring and autumn.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Why Northern teams? The weather has been ****e in the South too you know?
Hopefully we get a September like last year. That said, there's been some ropey batting as a result of having damp weather and helpful pitches in the last couple of matches.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully we get a September like last year. That said, there's been some ropey batting as a result of having damp weather and helpful pitches in the last couple of matches.
Under-prepared pitches that do plenty on Day 1 then turn into batting paradises have been quite common.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Just seen this article on the redevelopment of St Helens. While it has not hosted county cricket for several years, the construction of the proposed eastern stand would seem to spell its end as a cricket venue.
Does this show the problem when out grounds are used less and less by first class counties?

Glamorgan haven't played since 2019 and presumably wont again. Can they be surprised that someone else comes up with alternate plans?

"We hope that Swansea Cricket Club can be relocated successfully to continue and protect the strong heritage of cricket in the area."

How many cricket ground sized spaces would be available in Swansea?

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Saudi sportwashing set to make it's way into cricket.

Can't see how this works.
The Saudis etc. have always gone in and simply spent more - on the golf players winnings, on the best football players etc.
But unless they allow a free for all on bidding rather than a draft with salary bands how are the Saudis going pay more in order to win?
Doesn't even an auction rather than a draft have an overall salary cap?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I was meant to be at the Test match tomorrow so rather than wasting a day off work I shall be taking in Cheshire V Berkshire. The club I umpire for’s first team skipper was in the Cheshire 13 but never made the eleven which is a shame. Nonetheless. Nicely set up for Cheshire and I promised myself I’d get to at least one of their games this season so here we are

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Can't see how this works.
The Saudis etc. have always gone in and simply spent more - on the golf players winnings, on the best football players etc.
But unless they allow a free for all on bidding rather than a draft with salary bands how are the Saudis going pay more in order to win?
Doesn't even an auction rather than a draft have an overall salary cap?
I don’t think it’s sportswashing so much as buying cultural capital. Saudi investments in golf, football and elsewhere seem to have attracted greater attention to their misdemeanours , not less.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Michael Jones joins Lancashire from Durham in 2025 on 3 year contract. No mention of a loan before the end of the season.

FBU

International Debutant
Michael Jones joins Lancashire from Durham in 2025 on 3 year contract. No mention of a loan before the end of the season.
Wouldn't help. Lancs have lost 5 games so far.

Durham have signed Will Rhodes and Emilio Gay

Last edited:

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Wouldn't help. Lancs have lost 5 games so far.

Durham have signed Will Rhodes and Emilio Gay
I was more thinking championship - only 5 ahead of Warwickshire and 10 ahead of Worcestershire. Lyon, Bruce gone home, Green off to the CPL, Iyer injured.

mackembhoy

International Regular
How does he get in the side ahead of the captain Jennings and Wells.

Seems a bit of a pointless signing for him and Lancs.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
How does he get in the side ahead of the captain Jennings and Wells.

Seems a bit of a pointless signing for him and Lancs.
Sometimes they appear to be solely interested in saying how many of their squad of players they have brought through their system. Makes the Management look good? They are pushing this as "Ormskirk-born Jones is a product of Lancashire’s Academy and will return to his home county after spending seven seasons in the North East." which is pushing the truth a little. He was never selected to be in the Lancashire Academy. He did however play all through the age groups until going to Durham. They currently don't seem to recognise the difference between the age-group system and the Academy, easier of course to claim they are they same thing, they can then claim their Academy is more succesful in identifying talent - even if that talent is only realised when they leave the Lancashire system. They did the same recently on signing Ollie Sutton.

The Lancs article goes on to give a further clue to answering your question: "Jones also features as an explosive middle-order batter in the One-Day Cup – displayed recently against Lancashire when Jones struck an unbeaten 41 from just 21 balls in Sedbergh."

Opinion seems divided on Lancashire fans forum. For instance: "....and if he can't get into Durham's side, it is unlikely he will set the world on fire..."