• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

tony p

First Class Debutant
Good to see Nick Browne among the runs, there is still a place for his type of play at first class level.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Of course Kidderminster is due to start at 12.00 noon.
As you would expect.
Infact 12.10.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I very much hope it keeps raining at the Oval.
No worries, I'd expect no less. The forecast for Kennington says it will keep raining until after 4.00pm, so I doubt whether there will be any play today. But the forecast is dry and sunny tomorrow, so maybe there will be time for us to force a win then.

Mind you, the forecast for Durham is similar today mainly sunny with some interruptions tomorrow. My guess is that Essex will try to accelerate tomorrow morning, declare at lunchtime with a first innings lead of 150 and see if they can skittle Durham in about three hours play. Which is by no means out of the question.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Surrey game is much further advanced than the Essex game, and Surrey are comparatively further ahead with it. The Durham pitch looks pretty decent and with the batsmen that Durham have, perhaps their first dig was a little under par. Play will be needed at Durham today for a non-contrived result IMO. Not sure that’s the case down in London.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Surrey game is much further advanced than the Essex game, and Surrey are comparatively further ahead with it. The Durham pitch looks pretty decent and with the batsmen that Durham have, perhaps their first dig was a little under par. Play will be needed at Durham today for a non-contrived result IMO. Not sure that’s the case down in London.
Yes, if we bowl well and Hampshire's batting doesn't improve from Day 1, then we may not have to bat again. Or maybe chase a very small target. But we have sometimes struggled to shift the lower order after taking early wickets, so we'll see. As for your lot, I do rate your attack very highly, and batting on Day 4 may be far trickier for Durham than in their first knock.

I only realised this morning that I missed a trick by making other arrangements for tomorrow, as I could have popped up to The Oval for what should be a good day's play. Ah well.

Last edited:

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
" the Chester Road outfield is really quick... Its quite incredible when you think the rain didnt stop before 10.30.... Its just because its so much drier here than most cricket grounds are at this time of year." - the bbc

So worcesters main ground is a lake but an outground offers excellent conditions. It begs the question, how much cricket is lost because counties cant be bothered to invest in grounds suited to april,may,june which will surely be the main months for championship cricket now and in the future.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
All over at the Oval. 8 wickets in the match for Worrall, who seems to be bowling really well this season; even better than last year to my untrained eye. And 8 catches in the match for Pope. Atkinson bowled a couple of decent spells in the bits that I saw on the live stream.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty concerning start to the season for Hampshire. Losing to Surrey to be expected but they were second best in the previous two draws as well.