• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is England likely to stick with the Ginger Whinger as opener in short form cricket after the WC?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
he's certainly had waaaaaaay more chances to be the best player he can be than other players and a reasonable assumption to make given the culture around the english cricket setup is that has something to do with it though
Yeah...he has had more chances. To me, that's more based on the ability he has to look good and get out early. He was clearly far more talented than spuds like Burns, Hameed, Sibley, Jennings and co. And you know what, that was proven right when he averaged 50+ in an Ashes series. So maybe, they got it partly right.

And no, it isn't a reasonable assumption. It's a guess. A wild guess. And from all I hear, it's wrong. And it's unfair.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
So the poms serve up batting friendly conditions with dud balls to play tests like an odi with mixed success. At least, not utter failure. Sure, they had their share of luck but still, they drew with the Aussies at home this way (surely not losing could be considered a win?).

Yet they get to real odi's and lose to anyone who isn't Bangladesh?

lol.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah...he has had more chances. To me, that's more based on the ability he has to look good and get out early. He was clearly far more talented than spuds like Burns, Hameed, Sibley, Jennings and co. And you know what, that was proven right when he averaged 50+ in an Ashes series. So maybe, they got it partly right.

And no, it isn't a reasonable assumption. It's a guess. A wild guess. And from all I hear, it's wrong. And it's unfair.
you're going to need more than one good series before you can say the england selectors can claim vindication, which is my point

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
you're going to need more than one good series before you can say the england selectors can claim vindication, which is my point
Mmmm...your point seemed to be that he stayed in the side because he was a posh rich ****. Maybe I misread.

If England had won that series (and no they didn't necessarily deserve to, but they were 2 **** days of weather away, potentially) then all that faith in him would've been repaid. And yes, he does need more than one good series, you're right. But I assure you Burns, Sibley, Hameed, Jennings and any other bludger in county cricket wasn't averaging 25 in that series, let alone nigh on 55.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, the reason I brought up The Ashes is AA claimed ZC couldn’t bat at Test level. His numbers against a world class attack show that he can. The next challenge is to do so consistently.

Also. Maybe across 2020 and 21 he gets more chances because of privilege. IDK. But that is certainly not how McCullum and Stokes pick the team. They kept him because they believed in him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is England likely to stick with the Ginger Whinger as opener in short form cricket after the WC?
I’d expect him to still open for the T20 side, given Hales has retired. Plus he has played well in the T20s V NZ whereas I can’t think of an ODI innings of note from him since his injury.

Same with a lot of the old guard I guess. I’d expect them to go the Caribbean for the T20 WC next year but not sure we will see many of them in ODIs again

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It is absolutely correct to say it takes more than one series to call someone a good Test player

Five different Test series of quality preformance over almost three years however is definitely ample grounds to make that call...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
coaching stuff need to put him on a diet and see if he can recover to a decent mental standard without chronically high blood sugar

Molehill

International Captain
I’d expect him to still open for the T20 side, given Hales has retired. Plus he has played well in the T20s V NZ whereas I can’t think of an ODI innings of note from him since his injury.

Same with a lot of the old guard I guess. I’d expect them to go the Caribbean for the T20 WC next year but not sure we will see many of them in ODIs again
I'd get rid, we have younger options in T20 especially. Buttler opens in T20, he can do so with Jacks.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Let’s be honest, there are other countries which can manage being simultaneously decent across the formats. Why do they even need to prioritise one format over the others? If you have decent players you can play at a decent level across all of them
Yeah, that baffles me about English cricket; they have the resources to be powerful in all formats but have had the mindset for decades they need to excessively focus on one.

They did that for much of the 2000s in the Vaughan/Fletcher era especially with regards to seeing ODIs as an irritating sideshow.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd get rid, we have younger options in T20 especially. Buttler opens in T20, he can do so with Jacks.
Younger doesn’t mean better though. There’s no evidence of Jacks being a better option than Bairstow in T20. And aside, Salt >> Jacks ;)

Buttler went back into the middle order in the recent T20s so it’s feasible we could see Bairstow/Jacks in the future anyway tbf.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I think if there wasn't a T20 WC for say 2 years, then we would see more changes in that side but now isn't the time for a complete overhaul of our T20 side.

I'd expect Bairstow, Butler, Stokes, Malan, Woakes, Wood all to be in the WC squad if they're fit.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
All these losers have central contracts which is why we have to stick with them or the ECB burns more money choosing new players. There were some promising players in the Ireland series. We need to get some of them in the team so they are ready for the next world cup.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Younger doesn’t mean better though. There’s no evidence of Jacks being a better option than Bairstow in T20. And aside, Salt >> Jacks ;)

Buttler went back into the middle order in the recent T20s so it’s feasible we could see Bairstow/Jacks in the future anyway tbf.
I reckon that Salt has gained an additional '>' over Jacks since the last time we discussed this. :sleep:
Which may be accurate, but just saying.

fwiw my opinion of Jacks isn't all that high anyway. Mostly good for a quick 20-30 but hardly ever produces anything that's truly substantial. From a Surrey pov, last season's fare was pretty mediocre. Not disgracefully poor, but not what you'd expect from someone who's borderline international quality and gets signed up for franchises all over the place. Ditton SCurran actually. And their occasional performances in the CC were less impressive than 12 months previously, meaning that, at an age when they should be kicking on, their performances are actually declining.

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
Honestly think a lot of these guys in the current squad could still go till the t20 World Cup and champions trophy. They’ve done it before in internationals and franchise cricket. We’ll just have to see what direction the board and management wants to go.

Think their failure of this World Cup has to do with a lot of confidence coming into this tournament on pass achievements. Then after a few losses they got brought back down to earth and couldn’t recover since. Don’t think it’s a dead end for a lot of these players