• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Jon Lewis now appointed as fast bowling coach having previously coached the Lions. I know you don't have to be a great player to be a decent coach. But there's something a bit comical about the thought of him giving Broad and Anderson tips.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit of talk in the tour thread about this already.

Doubt what has happened in India has much impact on selection for the home summer. Pope, Crawley and Sibley are all worth persisting with, we don't want to be going back to Stoneman or Westley type selections. Would have Lawrence in there as well.

We already knew Leach was our best spinner but at least that is confirmed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. The main thing I've learnt from that discussion is that we need Woakes' and Stokes' teams not to reach the IPL final.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be interesting to see their bowling selections. The best attack is clearly Anderson, Broad, Archer and Leach but all would be getting nosebleeds at 8. Might mean we see Moeen instead of Leach?

Has Foakes done enough to overtake Buttler at home? Probably not.

Flem274*

123/5
if they insist on someone who consistently hits 150 clicks to be the 3rd, they should pick stone. his channel really impressed me too. archer just doesn't consistently deliver what he's asked to do.

woakes probably their best 3rd quick in england. a full strength home side should be

sibley
burns
crawley
lawrence
root
stokes
pope
buttler
woakes
leach
broad
anderson

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if they insist on someone who consistently hits 150 clicks to be the 3rd, they should pick stone. his channel really impressed me too. archer just doesn't consistently deliver what he's asked to do.

woakes probably their best 3rd quick in england. a full strength home side should be

sibley
burns
crawley
lawrence
root
stokes
pope
buttler
woakes
leach
broad
anderson
Didn't realise Test cricket now had 12 players in a team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For England, I dont think they should start making wholesale changes. They were definitely in the games more than it shows but it also often happens in lower scoring series. The issue for them is the fact that the ones who did well are like already greats and we know how good they are. I still think Crawley is very good and if neither Pope nor Lawrence are top order batters, they should not force fit them to 3 or whatever. Maybe this is the way they should go for their home season.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root (c)
Stokes
Pope / Lawrence
Buttler / Foakes / Bairstow (wk)
Woakes / S Curran
Leach
Broad / Anderson
Stone / Wood / Archer

Archer's injury is a worry and if they insist on the attack set up being one medium fast and one fast bowler and they feel the need to have some batting back up at 8, the above is the one they should play. But if it were upto me, I would play both Broad and Anderson and ask Leach to bat at 8 and play the 3rd seamer as the fast bowler. Woakes can come in if Broad or Anderson are injured/out of form.

The real issue is the fact that there is no top order batsman who has emerged apart from Crawley. But still, having a good attacking batsman at #3 is something most other sides around the world do not have and is a point of difference. I hope they don't do something silly and mess around with him.

grecian

Be interesting to see their bowling selections. The best attack is clearly Anderson, Broad, Archer and Leach but all would be getting nosebleeds at 8. Might mean we see Moeen instead of Leach?

Has Foakes done enough to overtake Buttler at home? Probably not.
Foakes is dead I am afraid, runs matters more than 'keeping nowadays.

At home Flems side sans Lawrence is pretty clearly what we should go for, but they'll muck around to try to get a quick bowler in. Mind you those openers must be on dodgy ground, but just constantly changing them hasn't worked.

Moeen will be around the squad ahead of Bess, but who knows, I'd go with Leach because consistently he has been our best spinner for years, which seems to mean to me he should be picked.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Liam Dawson still a thing?

Vaguely recollect he was in the 50+ man extended COVID squad last summer but may've imagined it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Lawrence looks good. Out of all the young English batsman who've debut'd the last few years, he looks the most assured and his temperament looks solid

Pothas

Is Liam Dawson still a thing?

Vaguely recollect he was in the 50+ man extended COVID squad last summer but may've imagined it.
He was still in the one day squad so was in the bubble but did not get a game. Got a bad injury soon after so didn't really play an cricket last year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
With the idiotic selection policy currently in place I'm not sure we'll see our strongest side selected this summer at all. I haven't studied the schedule, but if there are back to back Tests they'll "rest" Broad and Anderson either on rotation, or maybe even at the same time. Others will undoubtedly need a "rest" at some point, and there's bound to be a pregnant wife in there somewhere.

Pothas

You'd think that, but from what I can see it's the runs from no. 8 that are the most important.
Leach definitely deserves a run as the main spinner but runs at 8 are genuinely so important. England have just not had to think about it for years because they always had one bowler who could bat there, usually two or three. If Moeen is not around then Woakes becomes an almost must pick, it is really annoying that Archer can't actually bat.