• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England down to 6th in test rankings

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether you agree with the calculations of the system of not, I can't imagine you'd disagree too much with England being ranked towards the bottom
England's performances in the last 3 years have been extremely poor. Nonetheless, it's that that I care about, not any ranking system.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The barmy army do their best to ensure alot of people don't mind seeing England lose a few tests.
Ind33d, not a fan of said Army at all TBH. They have their upsides, but I don't think CMJ was too far wide of the mark when he said "as a group they too often demean English cricket as a whole".

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointed if one person has any significant influence on your feelings toward an entire team.
Hah, you're saying that to Australian fans after the way people have responded to individuals assoc. with the Australian team over the years?

Redbacks

International Captain
It's certainly a boost for the economy, which makes it interesting that CA went on a mission to shut out as many English fans as possible for the last series, The Aus government should have reminded them who pays for the resources around the country. Have always thought Sutherland was a **** after that decision.

Yes it's mostly light hearted banter and probably funny paying out Aussies for being too uptight, something we in return, however one golden rule for making friends is good manners. Something about being insulted makes nearly every man incensed and once the barrier goes up, it doesn't come down easily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hah, you're saying that to Australian fans after the way people have responded to individuals assoc. with the Australian team over the years?
I don't though. I have absolutely no inclination to allow one individual to colour my response to a whole team.

I wasn't saying it to "Australian fans" BTW, I was saying it to Gelman. See, not all Australian fans are of the same persuasion. :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Haa, don't lets be unfair now..
If you think England have ever had a worse wicketkeeper let's see some names. Admittedly there's been a bit of competition since Read was dumped.
Prior should never play for England again unless it's purely as a batsman and even then he needs to prove he can score runs against proper bowling attacks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haa, don't lets be unfair now..
If it's an exaggeration - and it probably is - then it's only slightly so. Deep Dasgupta was almost certainly worse, and Kamran Akmal and Parthiv Patel are probably about on par; other than them, I'm struggling for names in the last 10 years. And not long before that there was generally a more sensible emphasis put on being a competent wicketkeeper before you got the gloves in a Test (at least, on anything other than a very short-term basis), so you'd only have a small section of possibilities over 5-6-7 years or so. Before about 1990, the chances of anyone worse playing as a genuine first-choice rather than stopgap measure are slim, though of course the possibility is there and no-one can hope to assess every wicketkeeper in Test history.

Prior remains to me looking like an accident waiting to happen and I only hope that when said accident does it results in him being stripped of the Test gloves without having first wrecked England's hopes in a crucial match.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The barmy army do their best to ensure alot of people don't mind seeing England lose a few tests.
Ind33d, not a fan of said Army at all TBH. They have their upsides, but I don't think CMJ was too far wide of the mark when he said "as a group they too often demean English cricket as a whole".
Really? I don't mind the Army at all. Always good for a few chuckles and pretty harmless. In a way they're what i wish English football fans would be like so they benefit in comparison.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I can understand the frustration with Prior however,

a) I dont think keeper is the worst of our problems right now.
and
b) I dont really rate the alternatives.

If he stays then Im fine with that until an alternative I like comes along. Is that Davies right now? I dont know?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's something to be grateful for. What harm do they do anyway? The Barmy Army i mean, not the English footy fans.
Football fans are a much maligned group. I want to the Leeds vs Doncaster Play off final at Wembley last season and I expected a blood bath at every services. To my shock, despite it being a beer fuelled Yorkshire day out, the fights and agro at every service station down the M1 and A1 didnt happen. People behaved far better than I ever would have thought possible and mixed without trouble.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Football fans are a much maligned group. I want to the Leeds vs Doncaster Play off final at Wembley last season and I expected a blood bath at every services. To my shock, despite it being a beer fuelled Yorkshire day out, the fights and agro at every service station down the M1 and A1 didnt happen. People behaved far better than I ever would have thought possible and mixed without trouble.
It's not so much the aggression thing, which i agree is overplayed (could get into a rant about how Turkey get away with much, much worse).

It's more the blind pro-English bias meaning they'll start an argument with me when i dare to mention that they're not as good as Spain or Brazil and accuse me of anti-Englishness. Or how they'll moan about being "cheated" every time they lose in an international tournament while completely glossing over not only their own team's failings, but several decisions that have gone their way in the games beforehand. Or the jingoistic nationalism that leads to xenophobic tabloid headlines about whoever they happen to be playing against next.

You don't really get that with the Army. They just seem to be trying to have a bit of fun. Are involved in a fair bit of charity work too, ftr. Maybe if you find cheering when a player stops one after a misfield or mildly offensive songs tiresome it's fair enough. But as a neutral for the most part they're nowhere near enough for me to make me want England to lose.

Redbacks

International Captain
5 days of ball and chain, year after year might change your mind, 3-4 days outside of Adelaide usually :tongue:
Holier than thou attitude.....
Constant ego stroking as no other set of fans would still support their side if they were losing 8-)
Reminders to everyone that they are the greatest fans in the world [/tug.jpg]

But also plenty of good atmosphere too. This is just one theory I came up with at work as without fail: news of the lost series made the rounds at work and most took just as much pleasure from the defeat as Australia's win over SA :)