• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do You Think These Players Will Play Internationally?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll take your word, but an average of sub 26 in List A surely would be enough to warrant an ODI shirt? As for Tests, even I, a fan of Mahmood scratch my head at such selection (although once selected, he did get played around by selectors, naemly the start of the Ashes series). I wonder why Botham said during the WC, that he would like to see Mahmood play more Tests as opposed to ODIs :unsure: .
NO! Picking bowlers who've taken wickets but been belted all over the place in domestic-OD cricket is a terrible selection policy - almost invariably it results in said bowler failing to take wickets at ODI level and continuing to go all over the park.

If you want Mahmood to be picked for ODIs surely you also want the AP Davieses, Graham Napiers and Chad Keegans to be picked? Or maybe not...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think it's fair to say Bell still hasn't convinced everyone yet, he's still open to accusations of being a flat-track bully to some extent.

He's long since banished nonsense about him being the next Ramprakash and shown he can take rubbish attacks to the cleaners but his output in the India series was disappointing TSTL. He was OK in Australia but no more than that - he made too many single-figure scores and failed to convert big scores into really big ones too often. And he scored runs in Pakistan in 2005\06 (about the only other quality attack he's faced) but that was almost invariably thanks to dropped catches.

I firmly believe and always have done that Bell has it in him to conquer high-calibre attacks, because his dismissals have not conformed to any pattern, it's just been various different silly strokes. He's never been worked-out or anything. Nonetheless, he's yet to do it really.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned James Hildreth. As much as I don't want him to play for England, I think he will one day.

FBU

International Debutant
Some names that might go on the Lions Tour -

Bopara
Godleman
Denly
Horton
Hildreth
Ambrose
Wright
Wagg
Rashid
Swann
Kabir Ali
Bresnan
Plunkett
Waters

FBU

International Debutant
I am not keen on him either but he has been taking alot of wickets.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned James Hildreth. As much as I don't want him to play for England, I think he will one day.
Agree with that, his home ground is basically a road but I've heard him mentioned as a possible England prospect in the future. He'll have to get established in the all the England A and Lions teams so he can prove himself in some tougher conditions against some more classy opposition.

I think England supporters should be pretty happy with where they are at the moment in terms of batting potential. Ed Joyce and Owais Shah would be the next two in the pecking order IMO if anyone of England's regular middle order batsman was to succumb to injury or woeful form. Then you've got the likes of Trescothick making runs for fun in County Cricket (on a road admittedly, but he seems to be in good touch) and a younger group of players like Ravi Bopara, James Hildreth, Jonathan Trott and Samit Patel who are looking good at FC level. This is before you even consider the young talent of Joe Denly, Billy Godleman, Kyle Coertzer (I think he's trying to qualify), Neil Dexter, Paul Horton and Jim Allenby.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am not keen on him either but he has been taking alot of wickets.
Very average FC bowler, had only a moderate season in 2007. Been very unsuccessful in List A cricket for the last two seasons, very good strike rate but leaking runs at 6.88 in 2006 and 5.96 in 2007. Hardly the kind of bowler you would consider for international duties.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with that, his home ground is basically a road but I've heard him mentioned as a possible England prospect in the future. He'll have to get established in the all the England A and Lions teams so he can prove himself in some tougher conditions against some more classy opposition.

I think England supporters should be pretty happy with where they are at the moment in terms of batting potential. Ed Joyce and Owais Shah would be the next two in the pecking order IMO if anyone of England's regular middle order batsman was to succumb to injury or woeful form. Then you've got the likes of Trescothick making runs for fun in County Cricket (on a road admittedly, but he seems to be in good touch) and a younger group of players like Ravi Bopara, James Hildreth, Jonathan Trott and Samit Patel who are looking good at FC level. This is before you even consider the young talent of Joe Denly, Billy Godleman, Kyle Coertzer (I think he's trying to qualify), Neil Dexter, Paul Horton and Jim Allenby.
IIRR Allenby's a EU-passport player.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Moises just needs a couple of injury free years. Unfortunately, it's not something he's been blessed with over the past 6 or so years.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A hell of a lot of seamers struggle with injuries from their late teens through to their early to mid 20s, before they get themselves right physically. Guys like Gillespie, Lee, Watson and Johnson for Australia recently are pretty good examples. Then you've got your Bond's who never get over their troubles, obviously. Hopefully Henriques is just going through some issues like Johnson and will settle in and play some consistent FC cricket in the next few years. We'll not have any idea how good he'll be until then, but he's got heaps of potential.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR that was before the stupid most recent set of I$C$C directives aimed at splitting-up England and Scotland as cricket powerhouses.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From what I've heard, Huw Waters is indeed pretty highly rated by some high up in terms of England selection. His record is ordinary so far but he's only a kid so he could well get better with time. I wouldn't be selecting him for England A by any means but it wouldn't at all shock me if he was there.