• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones says England should produce seaming wickets

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Lee's record most definitely doesn't show him to be anything but poor, and MacGill's recent record is hardly complimentary.
WHAT?..., marc u have to be joking u believe a test record of 139 wickets in 39 at 31 and an ODI record of 186 in 104 games at 22 shows Lee to be poor, hahaha thats stupid marc.

and when who speak about MaCGilla recent record are you talking about FC Cricket because ur wrong he had a great season with the blues, if not so if u are refering to test crikcet in his most recent test he was MOM at the SCG, so...... i think you should rethink your statement mate

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
WHAT?..., marc u have to be joking u believe a test record of 139 wickets in 39 at 31 and an ODI record of 186 in 104 games at 22 shows Lee to be poor, hahaha thats stupid marc.
For a start, this is only about Tests - and Lee since his injury (6-odd years) has been shocking.

aussie said:
and when who speak about MaCGilla recent record are you talking about FC Cricket because ur wrong he had a great season with the blues, if not so if u are refering to test crikcet in his most recent test he was MOM at the SCG, so...... i think you should rethink your statement mate
Recent record being more than 1 game.

tooextracool

International Coach
just looking at this thread, i think macgill is definetly underrated. he isnt anything spectacular, but he certainly isnt as poor as some people on here are making him out to be.
b.lee though is another story.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tooextracool said:
just looking at this thread, i think macgill is definetly underrated. he isnt anything spectacular, but he certainly isnt as poor as some people on here are making him out to be.
b.lee though is another story.
I was about to post that in this thread, TEC........ I think he is grossly underrated around here.... To say that him playing would be a plus for England..... well, we will just wait and see if that happens.

tooextracool

International Coach
well i dont dispute that his playing would be a plus for england, largely because the rest of the attack is soo much better.
however even if he leaks runs, he can pick up wickets.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
For a start, this is only about Tests - and Lee since his injury (6-odd years) has been shocking.

Recent record being more than 1 game.
agreed Lee hasn't been spectacular in his test career so far, but it hasn't been shocking, and i didn't just refer MacGill's recent for to just that one test, i also stated his form in the pura cup which was quite good

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
if so well that ur write about his recent test form, ur wrong about his recent form on the whole

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How recent do you want to go?

OK, he did take 8-170 in his last game, but the 3 before that - 6-443 - I'd like to know how that is anything but tripe?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How recent do you want to go?

OK, he did take 8-170 in his last game, but the 3 before that - 6-443 - I'd like to know how that is anything but tripe?
yes has i just said i agree that his recent test form has been that impressive except for his last test, but his recent form in cricket (PURA CUP) was pretty good

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is MacGill playing County Cricket atm? Coz if he is, I think that's what Marc was referring to. His even more recent form is not that good.

If not, I stand corrected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
thier you go again with your philosphy that MacGill has no credential has a spinner, richard that is by no means an insult it could well an happen, he has bowled well in English conditions & has we all know that our lads aren't the greatest againts leg-spin bowling, MacGill partening Warne at any point of the ashes (even though its unlikely) could cause us trouble. I dont undestand why you rate blokes like Lee & MacGill so poorly when their records show they are clearly not so
No, Lee's record since summer 2001 shows quite clearly that he's very poor; MacGill's record since Adelaide 2000 shows quite clearly that he's occasionally exceptionally useful and can change the result of matches (such as Bridgetown 2003 which would almost certainly have been drawn but for him), but far, far more often is extremely poor.
And "our lads" are most certainly one hell of a lot better at punishing poor wristspin bowling, as demonstrated by MacGill's 2 Ashes Series' (1 in which he took 27 at 17.70 and the other in which he took 12 at 40.50, with a considerable gap in between in which English batsmen played well against quite a few other spinners too).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
And McGrath being just lucky. Don't forget him. Sooner or later his luck will run out and his figures will then reflect his ability.
It has happened every now and then, but may not happen again as it seems his ability may have increased during his time out.