• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Spinners (Tests)

ataraxia

International Coach
Averages smaverages. Jadeja's a gun, but he has benefited from playing a significant number of games on spin-friendly surfaces and his average is no more reflective of his actual value than Swann's or Lyon's.

I'd put Jadeja above a few of those on the list, but it isn't farcical for him to not be on there.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jadeja not getting voted by anyone apart from Jadeja fans just because people somehow think they know better than what stats and actual match performances say. Bowlers with 5 or more average points getting voted ahead of him consistently. I don`t think there is any other bowler across spinners/pacers averaging sub-25 who has not been voted yet ahead of 30 average pointers.
Wardle. Trumble. Ironmonger. Blythe. Lock.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Averages smaverages. Jadeja's a gun, but he has benefited from playing a significant number of games on spin-friendly surfaces and his average is no more reflective of his actual value than Swann's or Lyon's.

I'd put Jadeja above a few of those on the list, but it isn't farcical for him to not be on there.
Dennis Lillee should not be in the top 30 or so pacers then.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
A rather pointless comparison. Trumble, Lock and Wardle all have over 100 wickets. Even Ironmonger, with his relatively brief career, has more wickets than Boland and Axar combined.
Except for Lock, Jadeja also has more wickets that any two of those combined. So, it is not a pointless comparison.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Its fine guys. I should not have said that it is a farce. Vote as you will. It is my personal decision to abstain. We need not discuss this anymore as there is no point to it.

cnerd123

likes this
Gupte gets a bit overrated IMO. Lots of anecdotes saying he's gun but doesn't have numbers to back them up. If not for his wickets against NZ (the newest and weakest team in the world at the time) he'd average above 30. Shouldn't be in the Top 20. I'd even have Jadeja or Harbhajan above him.

A lot of the great early SA googly bowlers were mainly one-trick ponies. Revolutionized cricket but hard to call any of them a proper well-rounded spinner, Faulkner probably the best and most consistent of the lot. Easy to leave them out at this stage of voting.

Wardle's good but has a small body of work.

I do abstain from rating Lock and Saeed Ajmal due to chucking.

It's tough picking who will round of the Top 20. Some names not mentioned yet but worthy of being in the convo are Qadir, Prassana, Ramadhin, Trumble and Qasim.