• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Spinners (Tests)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Really surprised by the lack of support for Trumble and Blythe. And the SA leggies including Faulkner.
Yeah, I'm trying to fit them in somewhere myself! Certainly I have Trumble and Blythe both over Rhodes as Test spinners from that era, if only because Rhodes spent so much of his Test career not as a frontline bowler.

gftw

U19 12th Man
Swann - 6
Mallet - 1
Jadeja - 4
Rhodes - 2
Wardle - 1

The List
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Shane Warne
3. Bill O'Reilly
4. Jim Laker
5. Clarrie Grimmett
6. Hedley Verity
7. Hugh Tayfield
8. Anil Kumble
9. Derek Underwood
10. Lance Gibbs
11. Ravichandran Ashwin
12. Richie Benaud
13. Rangana Herath
14. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar
15. Bishen Bedi
16. Nathan Lyon
17. Saqlain Mushtaq
18. Graeme Swann

The vote for the #19 test spinner of all-time begins now.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm surprised Swann was voted in with such a modest bowling average (29.97).

Johnny Wardle continues to be overlooked because of a relatively short career (Laker and discipline deprived him of opportunities). Despite this, and playing over 60% of his games against powerhouse teams Australia and South Africa, he took over 100 wickets at 20.39 (and averaged 20.5 against those two teams).

Johnny Wardle

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
What is farcical about this ranking? Genuine question.
Jadeja not getting voted by anyone apart from Jadeja fans just because people somehow think they know better than what stats and actual match performances say. Bowlers with 5 or more average points getting voted ahead of him consistently. I don`t think there is any other bowler across spinners/pacers averaging sub-25 who has not been voted yet ahead of 30 average pointers.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
But I have fought this battle already in another thread and can see nothing much will change. So, I don`t want to take up that battle again and hence, abstaining.