• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Batsmen (Tests)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be either Hobbs or Tendulkar IMO.

Both men exemplified technical perfection as was perceived in their times. Hobbs mastered sticky dogs and matting pitches alike and Tendulkar famously averaged over 40 in each country he played in. Neither had any noticeable weakness against any particular style of bowling. Both men continually reinvented themselves and had 2 separate peaks at opposing ends of their careers. Both started out as dashing stroke makers and matured into a more workmanlike style as their careers progressed. They were the best of not one but two generations of batsmen. You could make a pretty handy XI out of players who debuted after and retired before either man, for example. So taking into account consistency, longevity, technical mastery and all-round excellence, the Master and Little Master are just ahead of the rest IMO.

Slifer

International Captain
As much as I think that his fans are supremely annoying, and inspite of my West Indian bias (still not as bad as Stephen ??) I have to go with Sachin. Very very good everywhere. And though he didn't hit some of the peaks of his contemporaries, he never really hit their troughs either.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as I think that his fans are supremely annoying, and inspite of my West Indian bias (still not as bad as Stephen ??) I have to go with Sachin. Very very good everywhere. And though he didn't hit some of the peaks of his contemporaries, he never really hit their troughs either.
Nah don't put yourself down. You're pretty bad too.

Slifer

International Captain
On that note, I will like to point out there was 18 years period (from his 20th birthday to his 38th) when he averaged 50+ in each of the SENA countries.

View attachment 30523

Voting for Tendulkar here
In this respect, you should also add the WI as well since during Sachin's time they had a formidable attack (up until 2000). I remember him averaging 50 odd in a series featuring Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In this respect, you should also add the WI as well since during Sachin's time they had a formidable attack (up until 2000). I remember him averaging 50 odd in a series featuring Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop.
Averaged 47.69 in WI in that period, which is surprising to me. Thought he didn't have any major troubles there (unlike say some battles with McGrath or Donald)