• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahul Dravid
Pat Cummins
Younis Khan
Ravichandran Ashwin
Clyde Walcott
Javed Miandad
Ravindra Jadeja
Shakib Al Hasan
Aubrey Faulkner
Courtney Walsh

MexicanRiver

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Here I know commence the Round 6. Please vote for 10 cricketers for spots 61-70 in order. This round will be open for 56 hours as it is 2 am here now and I don't want to tally votes at 4 in the morning. I will begin with:

Wilfred Rhodes
A B de Villiers
Virat Kohli
Ravichandran Ashwin
Rahul Dravid
Aubrey Faulkner
Courtney Walsh
M S Dhoni
Les Ames
Fred Spofforth
There is no way Dhoni should be here, man. There's no way he's better than Root, Greenidge, Lloyd, Miandad, etc. Just no way. It's disrespectful to test-match cricket to have Dhoni ahead of those guys. You're supposed to be regular followers; this is just really disappointing. You will bring odis now, but all these guys are superb odi players too. It's your opinion, obviously, but expect a bit better from regular viewers.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
There is no way Dhoni should be here, man. There's no way he's better than Root, Greenidge, Lloyd, Miandad, etc. Just no way. It's disrespectful to test-match cricket to have Dhoni ahead of those guys. You're supposed to be regular followers; this is just really disappointing. You will bring odis now, but all these guys are superb odi players too. It's your opinion, obviously, but expect a bit better from regular viewers.
Dhoni is arguably the Greatest ODI captain of All Time, a brilliant wicketkeeper and a top 5 bat and arguably player. That's too many accolades there. And in Test cricket, I completely genuinely have Dhoni as a wicketkeeper batsman only behind Gilly, Ames and Knott; equal with Watling, Waite, Cameron, de Kock, Engineer, Pant and Healy. So not like he is losing points there as well. Then there is the impact factor, with the impact he had on Indian cricket. I can understand why some might feel his inclusion here rash, but I think overall he deserves to be here.

capt_Luffy

Dhoni as good a batsman as Pant and Watling 😳
Keeper batsman, yes. Pant better bat, worse keep; Watling and Dhoni around equal in both disciples, BJ is slightly ahead. They definitely aren't far apart as batsmen. Dhoni is largely overhated for some reason lately here imo. No way he deserved to rank 16th in the keepers' poll.

subshakerz

International Coach
18 voters. Not bad. Again another clean round where the top end looks very well rounded. The players to almost make the last round all features here. There are two sets of tied players making in this round, and the 12th spot is also tied. As Border and Lindwall also tied on votes obtained, I am using my vote as a tie breaker. Hence, the one I voted lower (Lindwall here) gets ahead.
Here is the list:

PlayeraPointsVotes
Herbert Sutcliffe8912
Ricky Ponting8613
Ray Lindwall8113
Allan Border8113
Joel Garner7913
Allan Donald7813
Kumar Sangakkara599
Graeme Pollock417
Steve Waugh296
Shaun Pollock295
Barry Richards284
K S Ranjitsinhji235
Victor Trumper235
Waqar Younis205
Everton Weekes183
Kapil Dev174
Alan Knott174
Mike Procter173
Alan Davidson154
Ken Barrington152
A B de Villiers142
Frank Worrell135
Rahul Dravid104
Michael Holding94
Fred Spofforth91
Clyde Walcott71
Wilfred Rhodes51
Ravichandran Ashwin41
James Anderson31
Virat Kohli21
Clarrie Grimmett21
Clive Lloyd11
Ravindra Jadeja11

Here is the Top 40 list:

RankPlayers
1Don Bradman
2Garry Sobers
3Imran Khan
4W G Grace
5Sachin Tendulkar
6Richard Hadlee
7Jack Hobbs
8Malcolm Marshall
9Viv Richards
10Glenn McGrath
11Shane Warne
12Mutthiah Muralitharan
13Jacques Kallis
14Keith Miller
15Brian Lara
16Wally Hammond
17Len Hutton
18Adam Gilchrist
19Wasim Akram
20Sydney Barnes
21Curtly Ambrose
22Dale Steyn
23Sunil Gavaskar
24Steve Smith
25Dennis Lillee
26Bill O'Reilly
27George Headley
28Greg Chappell
29Ian Botham
30Fred Trueman
31Herbert Sutcliffe
32Ricky Ponting
33Ray Lindwall
34Allan Border
35Joel Garner
36Allan Donald
37Kumar Sangakkara
38Graeme Pollock
39Steve Waugh
40Shaun Pollock
I like the list. The only issue is Steve Smith. He should be ahead of Hammond and Hutton.

capt_Luffy

I like the list. The only issue is Steve Smith. He should be ahead of Hammond and Hutton.
Hammond has things like bowling and ATG slip fielding and Hutton was an opener; but more importantly than both, active players gets overlooked more often when looking at "greatness", as it encompasses many things. Like, some might even fine Smith points for the Sand paper gate.

MexicanRiver

Dhoni is arguably the Greatest ODI captain of All Time, a brilliant wicketkeeper and a top 5 bat and arguably player. That's too many accolades there. And in Test cricket, I completely genuinely have Dhoni as a wicketkeeper batsman only behind Gilly, Ames and Knott; equal with Watling, Waite, Cameron, de Kock, Engineer, Pant and Healy. So not like he is losing points there as well. Then there is the impact factor, with the impact he had on Indian cricket. I can understand why some might feel his inclusion here rash, but I think overall he deserves to be here.
I mostly like your cricket takes and you seems to be a very good guy. But man, Dhoni simply doesn't deserve to be here or anywhere close to it, he's overrated even in odis. And his test career is simply nowhere near others to warrant this level ranking. This is probably the only take in cricket which has really rattled me this much. There are so many others who deserve higher ranking than him even if you factor in odis. It's just not right seeing this take from regular viewer.

capt_Luffy

I mostly like your cricket takes and you seems to be a very good guy. But man, Dhoni simply doesn't deserve to be here or anywhere close to it, he's overrated even in odis. And his test career is simply nowhere near others to warrant this level ranking. This is probably the only take in cricket which has really rattled me this much. There are so many others who deserve higher ranking than him even if you factor in odis. It's just not right seeing this take from regular viewer.
As I said earlier, of course it's mostly ODIs as I feel Dhoni is the best ODI player not yet ranked; but I also think he is equal to any Test wicketkeeper batsman I haven't voted for. I might as well be overrating Dhoni, will think about it some more; but that's honestly how I feel.

BazBall21

Fred Spofforth
Wilfred Rhodes
Richie Benaud
Neil Harvey
Everton Weekes
Joe Root
Peter May
Denis Compton
Clyde Walcott
George Lohmann.

Last edited:

MexicanRiver

As I said earlier, of course it's mostly ODIs as I feel Dhoni is the best ODI player not yet ranked; but I also think he is equal to any Test wicketkeeper batsman I haven't voted for. I might as well be overrating Dhoni, will think about it some more; but that's honestly how I feel.
It's not about Dhoni; it's more about you rating him ahead of players who had much better test careers and who were also fine ODI players. It will be an injustice to sport itself to rate Dhoni above those sorts of players, such as Lloyd Greenidge.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

It's not about Dhoni; it's more about you rating him ahead of players who had much better test careers and who were also fine ODI players. It will be an injustice to rate Dhoni above those sorts of players, such as Lloyd Greenidge.
Again, Dhoni is an ATG in ODIs, top 5 player of All Time and he is definitely pretty great in Tests also.

MexicanRiver

Again, Dhoni is an ATG in ODIs, top 5 player of All Time and he is definitely pretty great in Tests also.
He simply isn't top 5 in odis or even close to that level. I suggest you to check it properly and he wasn't even close to being great in tests. You're seriously overrating him. Massively overrated cricketer, arguably most overrated sportsperson of all time.

capt_Luffy

He simply isn't top 5 in odis or even close to that level. I suggest you to check it properly and he wasn't even close to being great in tests. You're seriously overrating him. Massively overrated cricketer, arguably most overrated sportsperson of all time.
I think we should agree to disagree for now and discuss it further in some Dhoni related thread.