• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns vs Flintoff?

Better Cricketer

• Cairns

• Flintoff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
?
NZ had the worst bowling average in 90s .
Post mid 1990 when Hadlee and John Bracewell retired, NZ had terrible bowling attacks for the first half of the decade often made up of ODI dibbly dobblers like Larsen, Harris, and Vaughan or "pace" bowlers with no control. They just couldn't take wickets. In the late 90s when they were fit we had Nash, Cairns, Doull, O'Connor and young Vettori plus handy overs from Astle and McMillan - pretty good depth. The trouble is that they were all often injured as was Bond in the 2000s.

Last edited:

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Did they though? They'd been pummelled 4-zip by SA, got bundled out in the group phase of the '99 World Cup and Curtly wasn't touring. I'll grant you they were still a damn sight better than every WI side that's toured since but I think everyone had cottoned on to the fact that WI cricket was starting to rot by that point, especially when they were on tour.
2008 WI side drawn the series in Newzealand and a batting line up of Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan was much better than in 1999.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Neither do I, although I guess it has to be acknowledged that Cairns has been convicted/penalised/found guilty of nothing, so he's as in the conversation as any other person (not in my view, but from a 'legal' standpoint)
Azharuddhin was also legally cleared wasn’t he?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Other than Kumble and Srinath, did any indian bowlers reach 100 wickets from like '94-'01? IE where Kumble and Srinath held them together between Dev retiring and Harbie and Zaheer emerging

It was nearly a decade of really slim pickings. Prasad was decent for sure, but didn't even hit 100 wickets himself, a sign of a pretty inconsequential career

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Azharuddhin was also legally cleared wasn’t he?
I feel like Azharuddin is still allowed that little bit of leeway/respect that we can discuss his ability as a cricketer and not just his fixing here. Unlike Hansie where it's just brought up immediately and viciously lol. It's no fun that way IMO, like, yes I understand Hansie ****ed up and ****ed up big time, but he was still an interesting player imo

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
While I can't warm to either character, it's Flintoff, mainly for what he brought to his team. Cairns was so disruptive in those early BC (Young Gun) years.