• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Is it a record that was set in a single match (like fastest 50) ? (ie. not something done in a series of matches (fewest matches to score 1000 runs etc))
Q15 Is it a record that was set in a single match (like fastest 50) ? (ie. not something done in a series of matches (fewest matches to score 1000 runs etc)) No

ie It is achieved over several matches !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
Is it to do with partnerships?
Q16 Is it to do with partnerships? No

Clue - I have just realised the question is erroneous * There is another cricketer who actually holds the record namely Abdur Razzaq . The Sri Lankan falls short by one ! :( :(
Apologies for the error .

Can any one say what the record is ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Still no takers !

OK as mentioned before the question was slightly erroneous on my part.

The holder of the record is Abdur Razzaq of Pakistan. The Sri Lankan falls short by one.

The Test equivalent is held by 3 indivuals jointly . As already mentioned (I seemed to have made another blooper there) Syd Gregory and Wilfred Rhodes are two of the three,

The third individual is India's Vinoo Mankad.
Now it must be very easy .
Please state the record and which Sri Lankan falls short of the ODI record by 1 ?

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I will provide another clue since no one has made any attempts to answer -

It is to do with batting position as well. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Still no takers !

OK as mentioned before the question was slightly erroneous on my part.

The holder of the record is Abdur Razzaq of Pakistan. The Sri Lankan falls short by one.

The Test equivalent is held by 3 indivuals jointly . As already mentioned (I seemed to have made another blooper there) Syd Gregory and Wilfred Rhodes are two of the three,

The third individual is India's Vinoo Mankad.
Now it must be very easy .
Please state the record and which Sri Lankan falls short of the ODI record by 1 ?
Batting at all positions in the batting order.

I was going to say that earlier but then saw your post naming Barnes and I thought I must be wrong :)

Call them clues do you ?? :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yes and the Sri Lankan is Chaminda Vaas who has batted at all positions except opening.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Batting at all positions in the batting order.

I was going to say that earlier but then saw your post naming Barnes and I thought I must be wrong :)

Call them clues do you ?? :p
Nice Excuse !! :D :laugh:

Anyway the Sri Lankan is not Vaas who has not batted 1 or 2.

The person I have in mind has only not batted in 1 position . :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Nice Excuse !! :D :laugh:

Anyway the Sri Lankan is not Vaas who has not batted 1 or 2.

The person I have in mind has only not batted in 1 position . :)
Hasan Tillakratne who batted at all positions except number 11.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The following appeared in a newspaper in the mid 1800's. The writer was trying to help some kids who were being prevented from playing cricket by the local authorities.

Tastes differ: but for my part it does my heart good to see and hear these vigorous lads so earnest about their manly game. It shows that though the sons of exiles and traders, they still have running in their veins some of the old blood of (blank 1), and (blank 2), and (blank 3), whom we, after Greeks, prefer calling (Blank 4) and (Blank 5) and (Blank 6).

There Mr Editor, topics are few, the weather is hot; I have dropped the ball before your bat; it is for you to knock it with as much vigour as (not being a (blank 7) lad) can be expected of you.

Questions.

1. Which city/country was this newspaper published in ?
2. Fill either blanks 3 to 4 OR blanks 5 to 6 (which as you can tell are really the same in a way)
3. Fill Blank 7.
4. Guess the nationality of the writer

Those who have read the book from which this is taken need not reply. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I can not remember reading this in a book, so am right in saying the Country in not Aust?
Yes you are. People dont write such polite letters in Australia :p

Kidding.

PS and while they could be termed as sons of exiles, calling them sons of traders would be stretching the facts a bit :sleep:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Did it appear in the US of A ? :)

Pennsylvania perhaps ....

If above not correct then India ... :D

The writer is obviously English.

Guesses for Blank 4,5 or 6 - "Wog "

Guess for Blank 7 "Pommy"

I apologise If I am being rude or offending anyone - intention is not anything as such. :(

Merely filling out this quiz.

** Question to SJS - if it is this rude - I hope you don't mind my saying , should this be in this quiz at all ? ***

Last edited: