• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

He (the person at the centre of this question) was a friend of a controversial early 20th century Author who was much publicised, famous for several works including "Brideshead revisited ", and controversial with regard to his ***uality as well !! :laugh:
This Author (at the centre of this question) published a Famous book about his Friendship with the above famous and controversial Writer, as well as several other books.

But One of his works is a famous Cricket Book on domestic Cricket in England .

The Question is who is he ? What's the name of the Cricket Book ?
Who is his famous friend, who incidentally has the same surname as that of a recently retired famous cricketer ? :laugh:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Evelyn Waugh is the famous friend ... that is the easy part out of the way
Thats correct.

burkey_1988 said:
Is the person at the centre Douglas Lane Patey?
No his name has a vehicle in its prefix ...(ie the start of his surname)...c..a ..r .. :laugh:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Dudley Carew
This I have noticed has become a pattern !! Whever the question is tough Burkey comes on line and asks for clues or I try to give him a Clue (Cos he deserves it :laugh: )

And then what happens, the all conquering Archie :D who would otherwise have struggled to get this (and who requires no clues :laugh: ), pounces on the clue and strikes home the Winner !!

Not fair for Burkey !! :@

:laugh:

Whats the book called ? :p

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
This I have noticed has become a pattern !! Whever the question is tough Burkey comes on line and asks for clues or I try to give him a Clue (Cos he deserves it :laugh: )

And then what happens, the all conquering Archie :D who would otherwise have struggled to get this (and who requires no clues :laugh: ), pounces on the clue and strikes home the Winner !!

Not fair for Burkey !! :@

:laugh:

Whats the book called ? :p
To The Wicket? Okay Burkey you picked up the Waugh part (which I didn't know) so you go next, but no clues for Jason :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
To The Wicket? Okay Burkey you picked up the Waugh part (which I didn't know) so you go next, but no clues for Jason :p
I was only kidding Archie !! :D

You or Burkey can ask next one !! I'm off !! :D

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
I was only kidding Archie !! :D

You or Burkey can ask next one !! I'm off !! :D
No sign of Burkey? So I had better go! Lets have an easy one while all the regulars are off line (well sort of) :D

Which two fast bowlers from the 40s and 50s, always greeted each other as 'Jackson'?

they are both Aussies and one is often mentioned as one of the best A/R in post war Cricket.

Bonus point if you can tell me why?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
No sign of Burkey? So I had better go! Lets have an easy one while all the regulars are off line (well sort of) :D

Which two fast bowlers from the 40s and 50s, always greeted each other as 'Jackson'?

they are both Aussies and one is often mentioned as one of the best A/R in post war Cricket.

Bonus point if you can tell me why?
Lindwall and Miller

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Yes that's it. Apparently they heard black servicemen refer to each other as Jackson, not sure why they took it up though.
I am leaving in a few hours for the US. So willl not be able to follow up. Suggest someone else take up the next question.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
What was unusual about the dismissal of Fuller Pilch, in the match between Gentlemen and Players at Lord's in July 1837?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
What was unusual about the dismissal of Fuller Pilch, in the match between Gentlemen and Players at Lord's in July 1837?
The wicket was of four stumps and size 36" X 12"