• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Sorry :(

I don't know where I got the idea that only two were missing from the list. archie, yours is the complete answer :wacko:
No worries Tapi, you had me confused, but thats not that hard!
:D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Australian Players to score 300 or more in State Cricket?Missing are:C.W Gregory, Hendry, Murdoch, Kippax, Love
I hope its not all 1st class Cricket :@

I hope it is right I have a real thinker for you (and everyone else) :p
I had "cricketers to score 300+ in Sheffield shield/Pura Cup" in mind,which would include one player you have not mentioned .

Still one person in that list does not belong there - even if it were only Australian cricketers to score 300+ in Sheffield shield/Pura Cup. :)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
I had "cricketers to score 300+ in Sheffield shield/Pura Cup" in mind,which would include one player you have not mentioned .

Still one person in that list does not belong there - even if it were only Australian cricketers to score 300+ in Sheffield shield/Pura Cup. :)
The great Barry Richards?

Now the player who should not be their
Gregory because QLD were not in the Shield at the time he scored his ton.
I suppose technically Murdoch would miss out since Lord Sheffield had not come good with the money yet :D :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
The great Barry Richards?

Now the player who should not be their
Gregory
because QLD were not in the Shield at the time he scored his ton.
I suppose technically Murdoch would miss out since Lord Sheffield had not come good with the money yet :D :D
No not Gregory. May be Gregory as well. But there's another player you have put in by mistake !! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Now you can see why Tapioca thought there were only 2 others.
He would not have had Gregory or Hendry and Love may have not been in because it was Pura Cup , and he may have looked at Sheffield shield records !! :)

archie mac

International Coach
Okay, this one is a little different, below is someones world 11. Which famous player chose the side? He famousley left out Bradman because he was suspect on pitches after rain?

Victor Trumper
Jack Hobbs
Rajitsinhji
Johnny Tydesley
Charlie McCartney
J.R. Mason (capt)
Frank Foster
Harold Larwood
Bert Oldfield
Sid Barnes
Colin Blyth

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Okay, this one is a little different, below is someones world 11. Which famous player chose the side? He famousley left out Bradman because he was suspect on pitches after rain?

Victor Trumper
Jack Hobbs
Rajitsinhji
Johnny Tydesley
Charlie McCartney
J.R. Mason (capt)
Frank Foster
Harold Larwood
Bert Oldfield
Sid Barnes
Colin Blyth
Woolley ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
How the hell did you work that out? :blink:

I am impressed :)

Your turn SJS
:D
I first decided it was an englishman. Thats pretty obvious from the team selected and the feeling that Bradman was not good enough on stickies !

Then it had to be someone of stature, plus someone who had a long career span to have seen(preferably played with) Trumper as well as Bradman.

That gave the choice of Hobbs, Rhodes and Woolley. I ruled out Hobbs because he was too much of a gentleman to say such a thing of Bradman.

I ruled out Rhodes because he, if he didnt include himself, would have surely included his "twin" Hirst !!

So I decided there was a good chance it was Woolley. It was still a guess :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am not ready with a regular question so i am asking a pictorial one, I hope its okay ??

Name these four Indian greats !

Attachments

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Easy enough for an Indian - Vinoo Mankad, Mushtaq Ali, CK Nayudu and DB Deodhar

He would not have had Gregory or Hendry and Love may have not been in because it was Pura Cup , and he may have looked at Sheffield shield records !!
Oh, no. I wish I had some cricket books as I am thousands of miles away from mine. I used only the list of 300 scorers from CA.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
I first decided it was an englishman. Thats pretty obvious from the team selected and the feeling that Bradman was not good enough on stickies !

Then it had to be someone of stature, plus someone who had a long career span to have seen(preferably played with) Trumper as well as Bradman.

That gave the choice of Hobbs, Rhodes and Woolley. I ruled out Hobbs because he was too much of a gentleman to say such a thing of Bradman.

I ruled out Rhodes because he, if he didnt include himself, would have surely included his "twin" Hirst !!

So I decided there was a good chance it was Woolley. It was still a guess :)
Elementary my dear Watson!
Sherlock would have been proud of you SJS :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Easy enough for an Indian - Vinoo Mankad, Mushtaq Ali, CK Nayudu and DB Deodhar

Oh, no. I wish I had some cricket books as I am thousands of miles away from mine. I used only the list of 300 scorers from CA.
Do you want someone else to ask in your place ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Sorry. Forgot about it.

What is common between the hundreds made by Neil Harvey against India in 1947/8 and Sanjay Manjrekar's 218 v Pakistan in 1989/90 (maybe not unique, but extremely rare) ?