• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If Baconator does not post question, can we consider this question to keep this thread from dying .

Question

Asked by an Englishman if he'd attended a public school, this cricketer replied: "Eton. And drinkin'." :laugh: :laugh:

Went on his last overseas tour, only a few months after a heart attack.

Needless to say he died while still playing (not Tests though).

Still holds an Australian record !

Who is he ? What is the record ?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
here's my question,

what extremely rare thing were new zealand the first to do in ODIs in the 1970s and England the first to do in test in the 1880s?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
here's my question,

what extremely rare thing were new zealand the first to do in ODIs in the 1970s and England the first to do in test in the 1880s?
3 brothers to play together. The First Test to be played on English soil in 1880 from 6-8th September 1880 included WG, EM and GF Grace.

1st ODI NZ v England 1975 included RJ (Richard) , DR (Dale) and BG (Barry) Hadlee.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
yep that's it

i'm guessing we carry on with your previous question?
Yeah

Question

Asked by an Englishman if he'd attended a public school, this cricketer replied: "Eton. And drinkin'." :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
If Baconator does not post question, can we consider this question to keep this thread from dying .

Question

The player is Wally Grout.

The record is the most catches in an innings for Australia (six vs South Africa).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
The player is Wally Grout.

The record is the most catches in an innings for Australia (six vs South Africa).

Brilliant !! You are on fire !! :D :D

Profile:
Wally Grout entitled his autobiography My Country's Keeper, expressing his pride in the office he assumed at the age of 30 and held for almost a decade. Mobile, sometimes acrobatic, and a perceptive judge of batsmen's weaknesses, his presence was for many years talismanic: Australia did not lose a series during his tenure. Grout claimed a record six catches in an innings on Test debut, and in February 1960 scooped a first-class record eight in an innings for Queensland against Western Australia. He was also a batsman good enough to score a Test half-century as an emergency opener batsman, and a humorist with a touch of Australian comedian Lennie Lower. Asked by an Englishman if he'd attended a public school, he replied: "Eton. And drinkin'." He ignored doctor's warnings about his weak heart and kept on playing until he was 39 - and died from a heart attack less than three years later. Gideon Haigh
Wisden obituary
Arthur Theodore Wallace "Wally" Grout, who died in hospital in Brisbane on November 9, aged 41, kept wicket for Australia in 51 Test matches between 1957 and 1965. He entered hospital only two days before his death. A Brisbane doctor was afterwards reported as saying that Grout knew that he might collapse at any time during the last four years of his Test career and that he took part in the Australian tour of the West Indies only a few months after a heart attack in 1964. Yet Wally’s unfailingly cheerful demeanour gave no inkling that there might be anything amiss with him.

Few chances escaped the agile Grout behind the stumps. In Test cricket he dismissed 187 batsmen, 163 of them caught and 24 stumped. Of these, 23 fell to him in the series with the West Indies in Australia in 1960–61; 21 in England in 1961 and 20 against England in Australia in 1958–59. Only T. G. Evans, who played in 40 more Test matches for England, possesses a better record. On two occasions Grout claimed eight victims in a Test match and his six catches in one innings against South Africa at Johannesburg in 1957–58 set up a world’s record which has since been equalled by J. D. Lindsay for South Africa and J. T. Murray for England. On five other occasions Grout disposed of five batsmen in an innings. Outside Test cricket, his greatest achievement was when he exceeded all previous wicket-keeping feats in first-class cricket; for Queensland in the Sheffield Shield match at Brisbane in 1960, he sent back eight Western Australia batsmen, all caught, in one innings. That world’s record still stands.

In addition to his wicket-keeping ability, Grout was also a distinctly useful late-order batsman, as he proved in that Test at Johannesburg in which he brought off his six catches. He and R. Benaud, in adding 89, set up a new record for the Australian eighth wicket against South Africa.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose it's simply a trivia question, can't think of anything else...

Who scored England's 100th test century against Australia and when was it scored?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:

Who scored England's 100th test century against Australia and when was it scored?
I am going to leave it for someone else to claim this one . :) :p

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:

Len Hutton

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
What dubious record was set in the ODI between England and West Indies at Lord's on 23 June 1979?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, here's one that Jason hopefully won't know (no guarantees I guess). :p

Who is the only New Zealander wicket-keeper to score two first class hundreds in a match?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
Okay, here's one that Jason hopefully won't know (no guarantees I guess). :p

Who is the only New Zealander wicket-keeper to score two first class hundreds in a match?
Gareth Hopkins (Canterbury) V Auckland. 7th - 10th February 2003 . :)
113 and 175 n.o