• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i would like to see him retire too. I have a feeling Fury will stall around with the rematch and it will drag out another year, and inactivity is a major killer in this late career.

He's already about 5 years past his prime. Peak Usyk was probably the Gassiev fight.

But his team has already talked about carrying on another 2-3 years. If he could clean out the division - beating the Hrgovics, the Parkers, the Kabayels then we're starting to talk not only a p4p GOAT, but an actual heavyweight GOAT.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon he'll retire after the rematch. The only thing thing waiting for him after that (presuming he wins) will be another rematch against the winner of Joshua and Fury, and I don't think he or too many other people will see the point in it.
Hrgovic is still there and a win over Wilder or Zhang or Parker or Kabayel or one or two other top guys would make his run not only a modern great but starting to get into discussions with the top heavyweights in history.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hrgovic is still there and a win over Wilder or Zhang or Parker or Kabayel or one or two other top guys would make his run not only a modern great but starting to get into discussions with the top heavyweights in history.
The IBF might strip him if he doesn’t fight his mandatory (Hrgovic?)

Pretty sure that he had to deal with them before this fight

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The IBF might strip him if he doesn’t fight his mandatory (Hrgovic?)

Pretty sure that he had to deal with them before this fight
It's likely that the IBF will strip him but it's completely irrelevant now that he's undisputed. He could drop every belt if he wanted to, we all know who the best heavyweight and frankly the best pound for pound fighter is. That is why the sanctioning bodies hate making undisputed fights - it essentially makes them irrelevant.

I am pretty convinced that Fury will **** around and not make the October rematch and try to drag things out. Hopefully Turki will see that and just make the Hrgovic fight. If Usyk beats Hrgovic and someone like Parker/Ruiz/Zhang then there is basically nothing for him to do. Even now there's very little to prove.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haven’t seen this angle before

Ref saved Tyson

To be fair, the moment he was held up by the ropes that's a knockdown so the referee is within his rights to step in there.

But if he's going to say that, then he should have stepped in the other 3 earlier times Tyson was held up by the ropes, given him a count then (NOT a prolonged count) and Usyk would have had plenty of time in the rest of the round to finish him off.

Actually, Usyk himself was being a gentleman and waiting for the referee to step in.

social

To be fair, the moment he was held up by the ropes that's a knockdown so the referee is within his rights to step in there.

But if he's going to say that, then he should have stepped in the other 3 earlier times Tyson was held up by the ropes, given him a count then (NOT a prolonged count) and Usyk would have had plenty of time in the rest of the round to finish him off.

Actually, Usyk himself was being a gentleman and waiting for the referee to step in.
Reckon that 99.9% of boxers would have hit Fury & not waited on the ref

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What a champion is Usyk! He took some punishment in the middle rounds from a much larger fighter and came back with huge stamina and force.

social

Does anyone understand the Saudi boxing model?

I get the golf but the boxing….

Small crowd, rent a celebrity, massive purses and I assume that pay tv takes most of the money left over

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Does anyone understand the Saudi boxing model?

I get the golf but the boxing….

Small crowd, rent a celebrity, massive purses and I assume that pay tv takes most of the money left over
I guess "sportwashing" is the trite answer. Shows they're not beyond the pale no matter how many adulteresses they stone or homosexuals they execute.

I don't think a lack of currency is a big concern for yer Sauds, nor is opening new revenue streams.

social

I guess "sportwashing" is the trite answer. Shows they're not beyond the pale no matter how many adulteresses they stone or homosexuals they execute.

I don't think a lack of currency is a big concern for yer Sauds, nor is opening new revenue streams.
Boxing is just about the last sport you’d pick for sportswashing and the Saudi economy isn’t in great shape

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boxing is just about the last sport you’d pick for sportswashing and the Saudi economy isn’t in great shape
Well, on the face of it, I'd agree. It's generally considered to be bent as a nine bob note, and that's amongst its fans, but world title fights are actually one of the easiest high-profile sports events for brutal, oppressive regimes to buy. Other than F1 and the footy WC, and they've already procured those.

5/8ths of the golf and tennis majors are all locked into specific venues, and the other three have never been held outside the US or UK respectively, the Superbowl and CL final aren't moving out of 'Merca or Yurp anytime soon and I don't know what else has a similar profile. Maybe a cricket WC in the subcontinent, but that's not who yer Sauds are making kissy faces at.

I mean, look at it this way, if someone asks you to name a sports event that took place in Zaire or the Philippines and the first that come to mind aren't "The Rumble in the Jungle" or "The Thriller in Manilla" you're either Congolese or Filipino. And, as one understands, both countries' regimes in the 70s were, um, not entirely democratically elected.

social

Well, on the face of it, I'd agree. It's generally considered to be bent as a nine bob note, and that's amongst its fans, but world title fights are actually one of the easiest high-profile sports events for brutal, oppressive regimes to buy. Other than F1 and the footy WC, and they've already procured those.

5/8ths of the golf and tennis majors are all locked into specific venues, and the other three have never been held outside the US or UK respectively, the Superbowl and CL final aren't moving out of 'Merca or Yurp anytime soon and I don't know what else has a similar profile. Maybe a cricket WC in the subcontinent, but that's not who yer Sauds are making kissy faces at.

I mean, look at it this way, if someone asks you to name a sports event that took place in Zaire or the Philippines and the first that come to mind aren't "The Rumble in the Jungle" or "The Thriller in Manilla" you're either Congolese or Filipino. And, as one understands, both countries' regimes in the 70s were, um, not entirely democratically elected.
But what’s the end game?

Golf tourism I get but boxing fans are hardly in the market for a villa outside Jeddah

Really looks like a rich guy’s plaything

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But what’s the end game?

Golf tourism I get but boxing fans are hardly in the market for a villa outside Jeddah

Really looks like a rich guy’s plaything
I think showing they're a quote-unquote "normal" country fit to sit at the top table is the goal itself.

Whilst people are talking about LIV golf or Usyk handing Fury's arse to him it deflects attention from yer Sauds' more-than-mildly iffy human rights record and its repression of any talk about the negative impact the burning of hydrocarbons has on the environment.

social

I think showing they're a quote-unquote "normal" country fit to sit at the top table is the goal itself.

Whilst people are talking about LIV golf or Usyk handing Fury's arse to him it deflects attention from yer Sauds' more-than-mildly iffy human rights record and its repression of any talk about the negative impact the burning of hydrocarbons has on the environment.
I am of an opposing view as I think it actually highlights it

Does anyone actually think better of them because they own a football club or pay sportsmen mountains of dosh?

UAE’s stuff has definitely been ignored but not the Saudis or Qataris

Niall

International Coach
LOL Bob at 92 in the ring giving it loads after Taylor fight :laugh:

Taylor is probably done now, he did not stop chattering about moving up but he stuck at this weight for the rematch when he was the draw, weight probably drained and years of partying has came back to haunt him.

Tis a shame because it was a superb run to undisputed. :(

Don't care about Caterall,,,feed him to some prospect.