• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bob Woolmer dies at 58

coolsoul

Cricket Spectator
:mellow: :-O :mellow: sigh....RIP Bob, very very tragic, it was just a cricket...nothing is more precious than life.

Such a tremendous pressure on players reflects upon that how churlish and uncivilised society is of the subcontinent. Senseless emotions run high.

Just heard that some SOBs ransacked MS Dhoni's house :@ over the defeat. I dont what will happen when India will be back after next defeat:unsure:

oz_fan

International Regular
RIP Bob Woolmer. A sad day for cricket and like others have said it does put things into perspective.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm extremely sad at this tragic event, last time i felt terrible was when Hansie cronje's died, and now Woolmer has died.I feel too sad , don't feel like watching cricket.

FRAZ

International Captain
That really doesn't matter here, the people who burn effigies are not your average Internet users. They are a bunch of uneducated, illiterate fans who don't understand the game as most of us do

We condone that nonsense as much as you do, and hopefully people get the message after this sad demise
They are also perverts and basically what the local ****in evening time newspapers officials do is that they gather their own staff and burn the stupid dummies and snapshot the event ..It's easy to gather such perverts and ok I am a fan too and why La ice e has to judge me by this too and I swear to the grave of my grandpa that I haven't burnt any thing then why people have to make a ****in issue over here or why they have to judge all the people with the same light . Pathetic and I am sick and tired of defining the difference b/w useless crop and the educated or sane crop of the world .
How about a hillbilly saying death to the black people ? Does it reflect the face of an entire nation . Pathetic ,pathetic ,pathetic losers who do such stuff and patheticEST are the people who label them as the face of the entire nation !!!!!
Sick and tired of this same labeling and over all judgments made by the retards ...................... I'll see that when loads of population will be there in lets say any other island and some illiterate mullahs or pundits will be there to mislead the un-educated lot of the country then I'll see that how different they are going to be than me saying such a stuff over here ..You see the basics of all the posts lead to same story "Water colors" !!!!!! Lets see when a human race is sent to the African jungles or Sindhi plains and let breed in those circumstances and weather for more than 1000 years and only then the retards will be able to figure out that the melanin levels have increased in the skin and ****in NATURALLY !!!!!!!

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Woolmer was a very good coach , though he did made some mistake while coaching Pakistan team. What made him different from other coaches was that he was very passionate about his job. He wasn't able to coach SA to win a world cup neither was he a complete success as a coach of Pakistan team, yet i think both countries will remember him as a good coach and as a friend.

I think Pakistani and SA players will miss him badly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Horribly young to go, and quite appalling curcumstances. In a hotel room miles away from your loved one is no place to pass on, and the details leaking out about the state of his room are truly distressing.

I remember him as a player being good enough to take a couple of hundreds off the 1970's Australians, before losing his way after Packer. Possibly the best captain we never had. Certainly the best coach we managed never to play under.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
They are also perverts and basically what the local ****in evening time newspapers officials do is that they gather their own staff and burn the stupid dummies and snapshot the event ..It's easy to gather such perverts and ok I am a fan too and why La ice e has to judge me by this too and I swear to the grave of my grandpa that I haven't burnt any thing then why people have to make a ****in issue over here or why they have to judge all the people with the same light . Pathetic and I am sick and tired of defining the difference b/w useless crop and the educated or sane crop of the world .
How about a hillbilly saying death to the black people ? Does it reflect the face of an entire nation . Pathetic ,pathetic ,pathetic losers who do such stuff and patheticEST are the people who label them as the face of the entire nation !!!!!
I agree with you completely on this. Those that use a thread, created to pay respects to a good man, to push their silly little uninformed prejudices are pathetic, and beneath contempt.

Like this, for example...

He never seemed like his counter parts in the neighboring countries where coaches become annoyed by the media and they start finger banging and start showing their home bred upbringing by being an importance seeking clown in front of the media and they also try and finish the careers of senior members .
Let's just remember a good, dedicated family man, and a loved part of the cricket world, and leave the other nonsense for another time, huh?

Godspeed Mr. Woolmer, and my thoughts are with your family.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Reading cricinfo today Pakistan fans chanting " Death to Woolmer" i wonder just how they are feeling right now
They are a disgrace to cricket and have no right to be fans of the great game. So your team played badly and lost, and lost to Ireland, so what, not like that it is the end of the world, these things happen, Ireland just played so dam well and it wasn't Woolmer's fault that Pakistan lost the toss. Idiots IMO. Sorry I don't mean to rant and I hope nobody takes it the wrong way, but that is how I feel.

Anyway RIP, such a tradegy, and for what its worth, as much as I have been critical of Pakistan and some of their problems and a lot of it IMO was brought on upon themselves, you have to feel sorry for them and wonder what the hell must go wrong for them? Granted I've only quoted this post and I haven't checked all the other posts so forgive me if the same thing has been said.

Hope one of our many talented feature article writers has a smashing tribute article in stock.

Craig

World Traveller
I guess he was the only person working positively for the benefit of Pakistan cricket . Pakistan is a strange place for people with awful mentality and sarcastic importance seeking approach to the social behaviors . Bob was welcomed with warmth and open hearts,just because of his own pleasant and friendly personality and he merged himself so well in the dressing room that he was considered to be a Pakistani born and bred . He worked professionally with the team and he was always helpful to the youngsters . We can look at Pakistan's track record prior to his appointment and it was extremely bad and his work started showing it's worth right from the beginning . He tried his best to solve the basic problems of the Pakistani team and he was quite successful . For me some people who really didn't want any positive thing for the team were cause of the Pakistani team's recent failures. He will be sadly missed and for my liking he should be honored with Nishan-e-Pakistan at least and it should be given to his wife . How many coaches in the world have their own websites where they share the thoughts about the cricket ? He never seemed like his counter parts in the neighboring countries where coaches become annoyed by the media and they start finger banging and start showing their home bred upbringing by being an importance seeking clown in front of the media and they also try and finish the careers of senior members .
He was a gem of a coach and will be sadly missed .I myself being a true fan of my favorite team,am broken hearted . We need people like him who are the true ambassadors of the game and are born and bred in a good way and have pleasant personalities . I know that the regular posters in the Sunil blast thread might feel it's strange that how a common sub-continental cricket follower is so shocked at the death of a person who was not a sub-continental but here are the some basic differences of the basic domestic up-bringing which show up that a good human is always missed !!!!!
No expert on Pakistan but is that one of the top honours there?

Craig

World Traveller
Dont worry about him. He has survived on this forum because of his friends and he will get away with it once again.

It's sad that Bob Woolmer died and No one is hurt more than Pakistani Cricket and Pakistani Cricket fans( as evident by the reaction of Pakistani fans on this forum). Although I am not a Pakistani myself but I love and very keenly follow Pakistan cricket and as a Pakistani cricket fan, I am just devastated and tbf have never felt so sad over a cricketer's/coach's demise.

Unfortunately some people cant see that, they always see things black and white and that's why even at this sad moment they didn't forget to do what they are best at.
Seriously mate, what the hell is your problem? You just seem so angry/aggressive when on here. And FYI he has been banned once before.

Actually let's stop, this post and the first paragraph on post one of me in this thread were out of line.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
They are a disgrace to cricket and have no right to be fans of the great game. So your team played badly and lost, and lost to Ireland, so what, not like that it is the end of the world, these things happen, Ireland just played so dam well and it wasn't Woolmer's fault that Pakistan lost the toss. Idiots IMO. Sorry I don't mean to rant and I hope nobody takes it the wrong way, but that is how I feel.

These kind of ppl are there in India and Pak and you cannot do anything about them except ignoring them, unless they take break law (like some crazy ppl tried to destroyed property of MS DHONI after India's defeat to Bang).Those ppl who said bad things about Woolmer & Inzi would probably be back into their senses after the tragic event, hopefully they will think twice before doing something stupid against Inzi.Hopefully the stupid ppl in India would also learn a lesson from this episode and wouldn't do anything stupid if Godforbid India fails to reach Super Eight.

Craig

World Traveller
These kind of ppl are there in India and Pak and you cannot do anything about them except ignoring them, unless they take break law (like some crazy ppl tried to destroyed property of MS DHONI after India's defeat to Bang).Those ppl who said bad things about Woolmer & Inzi would probably be back into their senses after the tragic event, hopefully they will think twice before doing something stupid against Inzi.Hopefully the stupid ppl in India would also learn a lesson from this episode and wouldn't do anything stupid if Godforbid India fails to reach Super Eight.
Yeah this issue has been done to death and it isn't right for this thread actually.

I will only say I got caught up in the heat of the moment (though you could say I have put my case forward for the Saj :laugh: )

pasag

RTDAS
From Reuters:

Teams to wear black armbands in Woolmer tribute

World Cup teams will be asked to wear black armbands during their next matches as a mark of respect for Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer, the International Cricket Council said in a statement.

India play Bermuda at Queen's Park Oval, Trinidad and hosts West Indies face Zimbabwe at Sabina Park, Jamaica overnight.

Both venues will fly their flags at half-mast and there will be a minute's silence before the start of the games.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Shocking News.
Found out through a friend at school this morning, but didn't believe it until i'd seen it myself.
RIP to a great man of modern cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't know about anybody else but I keep getting the feeling that I know he is dead, but I can't believe it, you want to pretend it never happened, but it did.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't know about anybody else but I keep getting the feeling that I know he is dead, but I can't believe it, you want to pretend it never happened, but it did.
I know what you mean. He was one of those people that you just couldn't believe could, you know, die. What a tragic day for cricket. RIP Bob.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
What a shock. I was so happy yesterday (nothing to do with cricket btw) but this a realality check. I just fear all the stress he's been through since the Oval Test killed him. It reminded me of Scotland football legened Jock Stein collapsing after a WC game. RIP -and farewell to the best coach England never had.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Terrible tragedy. One of the most depressing things that has happened recently which was associated to cricket. Condolences to his family and friends. May he R.I.P.

A legend coach if ever there was one. :(