• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bob Woolmer dies at 58

Steulen

International Regular
Unbelievable, and a harsh reality check for a tournament that started in such spectacular fashion.

What Woolmer did for the Pakistan team cannot be praised enough. After a difficult start he formed a team that could honestly challenge the very best. Such a shame his end has come at a time all that seemed to be forgotten.

JBH001

International Regular
RIP Bob Woolmer.

And condolences to his family and circle of friends.

(Hope this puts it all into a little more perspective, it is just a game after all...)

Fusion

Global Moderator
What Woolmer did for the Pakistan team cannot be praised enough. After a difficult start he formed a team that could honestly challenge the very best. Such a shame his end has come at a time all that seemed to be forgotten.
Spot on. He had Pakistan ranked as high as 2nd in both forms of the game. The England series started a strange downslide, which caused some to forget the positive results he had achieved.

I still can't get over his death. This has been one of the most depressing days ever. Every time I watch GEO news, they are interviewing some official who's recounting a Woolmer story. It breaks my heart each time. Pakistan cricket owes him a great deal. I for one will never forget his contributions.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
You know what's sad. As I was watching the game yesterday, after Ireland had officially won, they showed Bob getting up and packing his laptop... Now would this man, or anyone have thought he would die the next day. :(

It's wierd cuz' that picture is still clear in my mind, and I wondered at that time what must be going through this man's head now that they're out of the WC.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Stop being an ass. It's really shameful that you would take a tragic death as an opportunity to take another shot at Pakistan. :@ Woolmer loved coaching Pakistan and loved Pakistan cricket. He was fully aware of the volatile nature of Pakistan cricket and the emotional fans the team attracted. Listening to the stories that people are recounting of Woolmer on GEO news, it is very obvious he loved his experience as a Pakistani coach. Seriously, how hard is it to mourn the loss of a life that contributed so much to the game we love, without taking potshots at Pakistan?
Dont worry about him. He has survived on this forum because of his friends and he will get away with it once again.

It's sad that Bob Woolmer died and No one is hurt more than Pakistani Cricket and Pakistani Cricket fans( as evident by the reaction of Pakistani fans on this forum). Although I am not a Pakistani myself but I love and very keenly follow Pakistan cricket and as a Pakistani cricket fan, I am just devastated and tbf have never felt so sad over a cricketer's/coach's demise.

Unfortunately some people cant see that, they always see things black and white and that's why even at this sad moment they didn't forget to do what they are best at.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You know what's sad. As I was watching the game yesterday, after Ireland had officially won, they showed Bob getting up and packing his laptop... Now would this man, or anyone have thought he would die the next day. :(

It's wierd cuz' that picture is still clear in my mind, and I wondered at that time what must be going through this man's head now that they're out of the WC.
Haha, Oddly enough the same thing went through my head when I read cricinfo this morning. Last thing I ever saw him do was look totally crushed and put a laptop into a bag in the midst of a massive celebration.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
RIP Mr. Woolmer. Just because I have to say it, I'll say it-you so called pakistani and indian fans really need to stop this ****ing burning of stuff after losing JUST a game! I get it that you guys are emotional about the game but what the hell? You still have to understand its just a game and a sport wouldn't be a sport without upsets. The overreaction from the people made a great coach pay the price for just losing a game!

I still have the picture of him packing up his laptop while they lost and how afridi and him was looking at the laptop and talking about something before that....its really sad but the pressure that was put on him for that was just too much....fan should be little bit emotional and thats ok but indians and pakistani fans just take it too far... its been a bad year for pakistan starting from the oval situation...hopefully they can overcome this tragedy and move forward...i feel really bad for Mr. Woolmers family... He was a great coach, with his trademark laptop.... Again RIP Mr. Woolmer

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
RIP Mr. Woolmer. Just because I have to say it, I'll say it-you so called pakistani and indian fans really need to stop this ****ing burning of stuff after losing JUST a game! I get it that you guys are emotional about the game but what the hell? You still have to understand its just a game and a sport wouldn't be a sport without upsets. The overreaction from the people made a great coach pay the price for just losing a game!

I still have the picture of him packing up his laptop while they lost and how afridi and him was looking at the laptop and talking about something before that....its really sad but the pressure that was put on him for that was just too much....fan should be little bit emotional and thats ok but indians and pakistani fans just take it too far... its been a bad year for pakistan starting from the oval situation...hopefully they can overcome this tragedy and move forward...i feel really bad for Mr. Woolmers family... He was a great coach, with his trademark laptop.... Again RIP Mr. Woolmer
EDIT. I'd rather not bring all that into this thread.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am deeply saddened by this having followed South African cricket so closely in the 90s. My small tribute.

As Liam suggested earlier, please keep this thread to tributes about Woolmer. Little is achieved by talking negatively about fans of a particular nation or speculating for the moment.

Last edited:

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
That really doesn't matter here, the people who burn effigies are not your average Internet users. They are a bunch of uneducated, illiterate fans who don't understand the game as most of us do

We condone that nonsense as much as you do, and hopefully people get the message after this sad demise

TazzX

U19 12th Man

i was thinking the same thing when he was packing up his laptop. Wondered what went on in his head and where he would go from here. He had many years left in him :cry: