• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI bowler::: McGrath or Wasim

Who is better ODI bowler? Only pure bowling.

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, I was just saying he was a quality bowler. I think he made the top 50 ODI players list in NUFAN's thread.

Maximus0723

State Regular
true....he was a good bowler but will you really select him in the top 10 of all time??? and ahead of Wasim Akram???
Ramcambrian just forgot Wasim or just hates Wasim.

Stop taking his ranking so seriously :dry:

Everyone knows Wasim is one of the best if not the best, ODI bowlers of AT.

tooextracool

International Coach
Fleming was a quality ODI bowler TBF. One of the best in the world at his peak. I'd even say he was Australia's best ODI fast bowler till the '99 WC, after which McGrath really came into prominence. Still can't forget how well he bowled in that Sharjah tournament in '98.
Fleming was a top class bowler in both formats and a cut above the person who eventually went on to replace him - Jason Gillespie who was more of a one trick pony. Could potentially have been right up there with the best if it weren't for injuries. Dont think he gets enough credit for that last over in 99 semifinal as well, would have been a flawless over if the batsman at the other end wasn't Lance Klusener

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
McGrath was the gentlest bowler from hell you could ever encounter.
Thinking as a batsman, I doubt if there is anyone who would pick to face McGrath over Wasim, given a choice. Wasim had the wayward deliveries mixed with good ones ala Sampras. McGrath was like Federer/Nadal, in the sense that the batsman had to be on their toes from ball 1 till the last ball.

Both greats, but I would think ppl would prefer facing Sampras than Federer/Nadal.
Sampras was hardly wayward, he was the most consistent player of his era. I'm not sure how someone who won more grand slams than anyone else in the game bar Federer is supposed to be 'wayward', let alone the fact that he lost 1 game in 8 years at wimbledon between 93 and 2000. I'd hate playing Sampras, the guy could serve aces on 2nd serve, and he could serve 4 aces from 0-40 down to win a game.

EDIT: Think I may have misread your post, agree with your point on McGrath though.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Would seem odd if he did considering that he went through an extended period where he could barely buy a run against McGrath and kept getting out in exactly the same manner.
IIRC and if he is to be believed, Lara himself stated that he found Wasim to be the most difficult bowler that he faced in his career.

Top_Cat

Second the Flemo love, bloke was top-class once he halved his run-up, upped his pace and bowled more like a seam bowler than a pure swing bowler.

vcs

Sampras was hardly wayward, he was the most consistent player of his era. I'm not sure how someone who won more grand slams than anyone else in the game bar Federer is supposed to be 'wayward', let alone the fact that he lost 1 game in 8 years at wimbledon between 93 and 2000. I'd hate playing Sampras, the guy could serve aces on 2nd serve, and he could serve 4 aces from 0-40 down to win a game.

EDIT: Think I may have misread your post, agree with your point on McGrath though.
z

Probably lost serve less than five times in 8 Wimbledons. ****ing hell. :-O

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
With regards to the question above, my answer is Curtly Ambrose. If you ask me, indubitably the best ODI bowler I've ever seen, cant remember him ever going around the park - probably cause he didnt.

Migara

International Coach
With regards to the question above, my answer is Curtly Ambrose. If you ask me, indubitably the best ODI bowler I've ever seen, cant remember him ever going around the park - probably cause he didnt.
He has gone around that park few times. Once against de Silva and Jayasuriya, once against Imran, and once Moin took him apart. Possibly there may be few others who as given him the charge. Possibly a SOuth African might have done it.

South africans have done it here and here

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
And can vaguely remember Ranatunga taking him to cleaners in two succesive overs. But cannot recall in which match, but was in late 90s.

smash84

The Tiger King
He has gone around that park few times. Once against de Silva and Jayasuriya, once against Imran, and once Moin took him apart. Possibly there may be few others who as given him the charge. Possibly a SOuth African might have done it.

South africans have done it here and here
I think you can add Basit Ali to this list as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but those seem like only a handful of cases. Ambrose has looked impossible to dominate more often than anyone else has. Just saying that on gut feel based on what impressions I have left in my mind (and feel shallow, rather than smugly proud, for not backing that up with 'stats' :ph34r:)

Last edited: