• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI bowler::: McGrath or Wasim

Who is better ODI bowler? Only pure bowling.

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Mate, why do you quote every long post on this forum? :unsure: It's a pain to scroll, specially when you are browsing on mobile.
lol..........I didn't know you were logging on from your cell phone to check out this forum........dude I just can't stop quoting posts because somebody checks the forum from his/her cell phone.......i am appreciating somebody who has taken out the time to write a wonderfully long and detailed post so maybe it is a good idea to quote it...........

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As a pure bowler, I reckon McGrath just shades it. Both walk into the ODI all-time XI though, IMO.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
McGrath was the gentlest bowler from hell you could ever encounter.
Thinking as a batsman, I doubt if there is anyone who would pick to face McGrath over Wasim, given a choice. Wasim had the wayward deliveries mixed with good ones ala Sampras. McGrath was like Federer/Nadal, in the sense that the batsman had to be on their toes from ball 1 till the last ball.

Both greats, but I would think ppl would prefer facing Sampras than Federer/Nadal.

Blaze 18

Banned
I daresay most batsmen would rather face Glenn McGrath than Wasim Akram (doesn't necessarily make the latter better though).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interestingly, that's what my father believes too. He's an avid cricket lover (but not very internet-savvy :( )
Garner sure belongs in the argument, IMO.

Wish he'd played more tests. He was a phenomenal bowler.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well statistically there is very little difference between Garner and Marshall.

0.03 difference in average
.2 wpm difference
both had a 10 year career

The major difference is that Marshall played 33 more tests and took more 5/10 wicket hauls. Garner can hardly be faulted for this though as he still took 4.4 wpm which is well and truly all time great territory. He also had less opportunity to take the big hauls as he bowled first change behind Marshall and Holding for a long time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It makes me delerious thinking about how good the WIndies must have been with Marshall and Holding opening the bowling and Garner coming in at first change. Surely the greatest fast bowling attack the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.

smash84

The Tiger King
It makes me delerious thinking about how good the WIndies must have been with Marshall and Holding opening the bowling and Garner coming in at first change. Surely the greatest fast bowling attack the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.
True

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran Khan was saying the same thing in the ICC wc countdown in New Delhi where Viv, Kapil, and Ranatunga were also present. He said that there fast bowling was so good Roberts, HOlding, Garner, MArshall, Corft that people like Sylvester Clark, who he said was very nasty, could not find a place in the side...........according to him the WI side of the late 70s and 80s was the greatest side in history...........

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well statistically there is very little difference between Garner and Marshall.

0.03 difference in average
.2 wpm difference
both had a 10 year career

The major difference is that Marshall played 33 more tests and took more 5/10 wicket hauls. Garner can hardly be faulted for this though as he still took 4.4 wpm which is well and truly all time great territory. He also had less opportunity to take the big hauls as he bowled first change behind Marshall and Holding for a long time.
Yeah that's true - the only really significant difference in terms of career statistics is in their S/R, and even then Garner's is still outstanding. Though Marshall, as you say, played a lot more Tests which of course makes a difference.

How often did that actually happen though? Not having a go - genuine question. Without looking it up match-by-match, I'd always thought that Holding opened more often with Roberts in the late-'70s/early-'80s with Garner and Croft as the change bowlers, then by the time Marshall had become top dog Garner was taking the new ball with him and Holding was bowling first change. Could be wrong though. :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fleming was a quality ODI bowler TBF. One of the best in the world at his peak. I'd even say he was Australia's best ODI fast bowler till the '99 WC, after which McGrath really came into prominence. Still can't forget how well he bowled in that Sharjah tournament in '98.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Fleming was a quality ODI bowler TBF. One of the best in the world at his peak. I'd even say he was Australia's best ODI fast bowler till the '99 WC, after which McGrath really came into prominence. Still can't forget how well he bowled in that Sharjah tournament in '98.
Bowled the last overs of both the 96 and 99 WC, IIRC. Doesnt get talked up as a big game player unlike some others.

smash84

The Tiger King
true....he was a good bowler but will you really select him in the top 10 of all time??? and ahead of Wasim Akram???