• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test XI from each nation (that you have seen)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England

Boycott
Gooch
Vaughn
Thorpe
KP
Stewart
Botham
Flintoff
Fraser
Underwood
Willis

West Indies

Greenidge
Haynes
Lara
Richards
Lloyd
Richardson
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner

Australia

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
M. Waugh
Border
S. Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Gillespie
Mcgrath

New Zealand

Wright
Richardson
Fleming
M. Crowe
Turner
Astle
C. Cairns
Parore
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond

Pakistan

Saeed Anwar
Zaheer Abaas
Younis Khan
Mo-yo
Miandad
Inzy
Moin Khan
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Abdul Qadir

India

Sehwag
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Vengsarkar
Laxman
Kapil
Dhoni
Kumble
Harbajhan
Zaheer

Last edited:

grecian

Richard Illingworth? Wow
Yes, I almost did that with Lillians post, saying "Richard and Ian", for Illy and Greig, but couldn't be arsed. Actually anyway, it was one of my many brain farts. I can't believe I forgot deadly:blink:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England

Boycott
Gooch
Vaughan
Thorpe
KP
Stewart
Botham
Flintoff
Fraser
Illingworth
Willis
Yeah, Vaughan would have been my pick for the 'difficult' number 3 position as well. Plus that gives me a captain worthy of the name. That leaves me two from Thorpe, Gower & KP at 4 & 5, and I think I'd plump for the two lefthanders at this stage. Luckily I saw Underwood play, so picking a spinner isn't so hard. Not sure about Fraser, although I rated him highly. Maybe Snow (who was slightly past his best when I saw him) or Gough.

It's a bit sad to think that an England side from the last 35 years boils down to picking XI from only 18 or so who are remotely good enough to be considered.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I almost did that with Lillians post, saying "Richard and Ian", for Illy and Greig, but couldn't be arsed. Actually anyway, it was one of my many brain farts. I can't believe I forgot deadly:blink:
I was wondering about Underwood. I figured you must have seen him play, even if he was close to the end of his career.

grecian

Yeah, Vaughan would have been my pick for the 'difficult' number 3 position as well. Plus that gives me a captain worthy of the name. That leaves me two from Thorpe, Gower & KP at 4 & 5, and I think I'd plump for the two lefthanders at this stage. Luckily I saw Underwood play, so picking a spinner isn't so hard. Not sure about Fraser, although I rated him highly. Maybe Snow (who was slightly past his best when I saw him) or Gough.

It's a bit sad to think that an England side from the last 35 years boils down to picking XI from only 18 or so who are remotely good enough to be considered.
I didn't see Snow, I always thought Gus could of been our Glenn McGrath, but for injury.

Yeah, I'm not sure I saw Deadly for England, but I didn't Illy either, saw them both for their counties, though, so that counts, kind of.:blink:

iamdavid

International Debutant
1.J Langer
2.M Hayden
3.R Ponting
4.M Waugh
5.S Waugh*
6.M Hussey
7.A Gilchrist+
8.S Warne
9.J Gillespie
10.D Fleming
11.G McGrath
Reserves - Taylor, Slater, Martyn, Lee.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im confused. Did you mean Richard Illingworth or not? I was asking a serious question as I assumed it couldnt have been Ray as you have him batting below Fraser

Engle

State Vice-Captain
WIndies

G.Greenidge
D.Haynes
R.Kanhai
V.Richards
B.Lara
C.Lloyd
G.Sobers
J.Dujon
M.Marshall
C.Ambrose
L.Gibbs

grecian

Im confused. Did you mean Richard Illingworth or not? I was asking a serious question as I assumed it couldnt have been Ray as you have him batting below Fraser
No, I didn't. It was, as I said a brain-fart, sorry. I certainly would never have picked Richard Illingworth, in any representative side, should not of even played Test cricket, imo.

Actually I never think too much about the batting order in these things, once I get to the bowlers. ho-hum.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Saeed Anwar
Aamer Sohail
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Imran Khan*
Kamran Akmal+ ƒ
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar
Waqar Younis

Unlucky ones to miss out: Yousuf, Qadir, Salim Malik, Asif.

ƒ - Akmal is not nearly the best keeper we've ever had, but he is easily the best batsman-keeper we have ever had. If I were to choose a keeper based on just his keeping ability, I'll go with Rashid Latif.

Beleg

International Regular
Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Inzamam
Javed Miandad
Mohammad Yousuf
Ejaz Ahmed
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

12th Man: Younis Khan

Kirsten (G)
Smith
Kallis
Gibbs
Kirsten (P)
Cronje
Richardson
Pollock
McMillan
De Villiers
Donald

12th Man: Ntini

Nathan Astle
Mark Richardson
Stephen Fleming
Martin Crowe
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Adam Parore
Daniel Vettori
Danny Morrison
Geoff Allott
Shane Bond

12th Man: Daryl Tuffey

Atherton
Vaughan
Robin Smith
Gooch
Gower
Pieterson
Stewart
Flintoff
Caddick
Gough
Hoggard

12th Man: Tresocthick

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor (C)
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh S
Hussey
Gilchrist (Wk)
Warne
Gillespie
Fleming
McGrath

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This would be difficult for me. There are several players who I have seen but actually have little to no recallection of. I didn't really follow cricket at all until about 2000, and I didn't really follow it closely enough until after the 2003 World Cup to recognise the performances of different players and check up on the all the scores around the globe etc. Then there are others who I've seen on old highlights packages, on old recorded tapes at my grandfather's house and on YouTube.

If we limit it to those I've seen whilst actually caring about who they were and having a knowledge of what type of player they were, I'd probably end up with lineups which looked very similar to each team's current XI. I'll take the plunge anyway when I get home.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Similar to EWS here so I'll limit myself to a WI XI first:

Gayle
Adams
Richardson*
Lara
Chanderpaul
Hooper
Jacobs+
Ambrose
Bishop
Ramnarine
Walsh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ENGLAND
  1. Boycott
  2. Gooch
  3. Dexter
  4. Graveney
  5. Barrington
  6. D'Olieviera
  7. Botham
  8. Knott
  9. Trueman
  10. Snow
  11. Underwood

AUSTRALIA
  1. Simpson
  2. Hayden
  3. Ponting
  4. Chappell (G)
  5. Walters
  6. Waugh S
  7. Benaud
  8. Healy
  9. Lillee
  10. Warne
  11. McGrath
  12. McKenzie

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Good sides SJS - imo the England one is particularly strong.
Suprised by the D'Oliveira selection though. Hardly a leading light in the England teams he played on let alone one of the top batsmen in the last 40 years.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Suprised by the D'Oliveira selection though. Hardly a leading light in the England teams he played on let alone one of the top batsmen in the last 40 years.
He lends balance to the side. He could bowl pretty well you know and he was a much better batsman than we remember today. Remember he started playing test cricket almost after his prime as a cricketer (age-wise) was behind him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies

1. Greenidge
  2. Hunte
  3. Richards
  4. Kanhai
  5. Lara
  6. Sobers
  7. Murray
  8. Marshall
  9. Hall