• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best CWC side that could not win the World Cup

Best WC side to not win a specific WC

• Total voters

DriveClub

International Regular
Right after the tournament ended, Dilshan flew back to home for the alimony case against his ex-wife (who was now Tharanga's wife). I'm always impressed that Dilshan never tried to run this guy out or something every once in a while.
Classic wonder how many other players married their teammates partners 😂

DriveClub

International Regular
Dilshan's a funny guy, he's playing around the traps in Melbourne subbies

mate of mine played against him last year and Dilshan switch-hit his first ball for 6 onto the pavilion roof (short boundary but still)

He also just rocks up to bat in T20s and drives home when he's done, doesn't field a lot of the time. And when he does field only bothers stopping balls that go straight to him
Lol funny considering dilshan was a pretty good fielder when he was playing

Himannv

International Coach
Classic wonder how many other players married their teammates partners 😂
This is some tale as well. Apparently Tharanga's home was damaged in the tsunami so Dilshan offered to let him stay at his house, which is how Tharanga met his wife and they started a long and sordid affair. After Dilshan caught them at it, he divorced his wife and Tharanga married her instead.

And despite all this, they somehow opened the batting together and built tons of match-winning partnerships without Dilshan losing his head and killing this guy. In fairness to Dilshan, he seemed much happier with his new wife and she genuinely seems to care for him and cried when he retired. All's well that ends well I guess.

subshakerz

International Coach
You really think a side which hasn’t won anything of note in the short formats is a better team than the 1983 West Indies outfit? That team is the Brazil 82 of cricket.
I thought we are talking about form and skill in that particular tournament.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
WI '83 by miles. In fact there's a decent argument they would have matched up against a rest of the world side at that time they were so well covered (except for spin, which they didn't really need at that time.)
I guess a ROW XI 1983 would be something like

Turner/Srikkanth
Gooch
Chappell
Gower
Zaheer Abbas
Imran
Kapil
Hadlee
Shastri
Marsh
Lillee

Still pretty stacked. Bats so deep and crazy bowling attack.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
99 SA didn't have a power hitter batting lineup like India, Klusener aside.
It was a different game with different rulrs and conditions. Still Gibbs was very aggressive as were Pollock and Boucher. Jonty maintained a good run rate by speed between wickets

Gob

International Coach
This is some tale as well. Apparently Tharanga's home was damaged in the tsunami so Dilshan offered to let him stay at his house, which is how Tharanga met his wife and they started a long and sordid affair. After Dilshan caught them at it, he divorced his wife and Tharanga married her instead.

And despite all this, they somehow opened the batting together and built tons of match-winning partnerships without Dilshan losing his head and killing this guy. In fairness to Dilshan, he seemed much happier with his new wife and she genuinely seems to care for him and cried when he retired. All's well that ends well I guess.
Thats some quality content for poison ivy 6

Sunil1z

International Regular
Was just thinking about this exercise. You can correct me afterwards.
I am awarding WC to best Team of Tournament rather than one who won in the finals .

1975 Australia
1979. WI
1983 WI
1987 PAK
1992 NZ
1996 SL
1999 SA
2003 AUS
2007 AUS
2011 IND
2015. AUS ( Because final was played here otherwise NZ)
2019. ENG
2023. IND

So final WC tally
AUS. 4
WI 2
IND 2
SA SL ENG PAK NZ 1

So AUS has actually won SA and NZ share of WC .
IND were unlucky in 2023 but lucky in 1983

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Aus were a level above NZ in 2015 tbh. None of the games in Australia were at all close whereas the Aus vs NZ game was a very close run thing (let alone the semi-final)

subshakerz

International Coach
I think talent wise the 83 Windies side was the best that could not win the WC, but I do not see how an objective fact that India looked far more unbeatable in 2023 than the Windies did in 83 is being questioned here.
Didn't WI lose to India earlier in that tournament?

India were just looking levels ahead of others in 2023. Flattening teams, all players in form, etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Starc was the difference. Death bowling was king in that tournament, because it was so hard to defend wickets in hand. The two best attacks made the final and the best death bowler on the planet, plus some random quality from Faulkner, was decisive.