• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Rugby World Cup players

ripper868

International Coach
why did you have to put my fav players ever (sella and eales) against each other? why why why? (done while kicking and punching floor whiling laying face down screaming......not)
Blanco
Eales

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Round Two

Apologies for the delay; the perils of lunchtime drinking at my age. Anyway, Serge Blanco edges out Gregan by the odd point & Eales joins him in Round Two with a comfortable win. All of which means we now have our sixteen qualifiers for that second round:

David Campese
John Eales
Nick Farr-Jones
Tim Horan
Stephen Larkham
Michael Lynagh

Sean Fitzpatrick
Doug Howlett
Michael Jones
Jonah Lomu
Andrew Mehrtens

Martin Johnson
Jonny Wilkinson

Joost van der Westhuizen

Serge Blanco

Brian O’Driscoll

The draw has, as ever, been made at random & first up are:

Battle 1

Joost van der Westhuizen (South Africa)

vs

Stephen Larkham (Australia)

Battle 2

Michael Jones (New Zealand)

vs

Serge Blanco (France)

South Africa's last remaining standard-bearer, the ever-sniping and thrusting Joost faces the fella who made it all tick for the triumphant Aussies in 1999 & the All-Blacks prince of the back row faces the epitome of Gallic flair.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, well the winner won't be a Saffie or a Frenchman as Larkham & Jones advance. Van der Westhuizen slightly hard done by for mine, but given the voting constituency on here I guess it's not the biggest surprise.

Next:

Battle 3

Sean Fitzpatrick (New Zealand)

vs

Andrew Mehrtens (New Zealand)

Battle 4

John Eales (Australia)

vs

Martin Johnson (England)

Two clashes fitting of the occasion: an all All-Black clash sees the mighty Fitzy go head-to-head with Mehrts & the last two captains to lift the cup meet for the right to be considered the best lock of the last 20 years.