• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every denial they have made in recent times looks hollow now.

What was said Bairstow?
What was Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket in the ashes for?

They are now the biggest bunch of cheats around and will be getting abuse for it forever, wonder how that will go down seeing as they moaned the other day about it crossing a line, no it didn't. You lot did on numerous occasions and whatever comes your way now you have to suck up and say nothing as you are just a bunch of cheats and will be forevermore.
I'm not sure how true this is, but it was explained as being a piece of chewing gum and that the Australians had been asked to use a spoon to get whatever they needed out of the various bowls present (nuts, gum etc) as a precaution due to the fact a virus was getting around. Makes no sense to me that he'd take sugar in his pocket when he could just chew the gum, or use a mint.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you'll find even we'd consider using 2c worth of yellow tape on you guys a massive waste of money.
Even in the face of such an embarrasing humiliation, only an Aussie fan would feel it ok to go LOLing at another cricket team.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cycling's been about that for decades. Doesn't mean athleticism isn't the primary factor though. When everyone is on the same **** then the guy who wins is still the best. Lance was the best comfortably.
Our Cadel was never a part of that

TheJediBrah

Even in the face of such an embarrasing humiliation, only an Aussie fan would feel it ok to go LOLing at another cricket team.
The second I saw this thread on Cricket web I thought to myself "at least Adders will come back and post again". Been a long time since I've seen you post with this kind of frequency, welcome back.

Son Of Coco

There's never a bad time to laugh at the English cricket team. It's not my fault our guys took a tiny percentage of joy out of the situation over there in In Zud.

fredfertang

Rather be bowled out by Boult and Co for 58 than by your pack of cheating ****s any day. Rather support a **** cricket team than a pack of cheating, extremley dislikeable aresholes too.
Adders mate, do you like living in Oz?

Burgey

I’ve got quite a few former rep players as friends

Every single one says Smith should be sent home immediately

Every single one says “leadership group” should go as well

About 75% say we should forfeit test

Real anger in cricket community
Nah. Ridiculous. Whatever it takes. Works for India. Just threaten to cancel the tour and they’ll drop it.

cnerd123

likes this
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

It's been known for a long long time now that the Australians are dirty, cheating, nasty, unpleasant, hypocritical characters. That culture runs deep not just in their dressing room, but in the very fabric of their cricketing culture. It's almost like they were descendents of men and women who had criminal tendencies in their genes.

Yet, despite multiple offences, we continue to let them be a part of world cricket. We slap them on the wrist, go 'boys will be boys', accept their crocodile tears, draw a line and tell them they can play hard but can't cross that, and we move on, as though this will never happen again.

Frankly, this entire incident isn't a failure of Australian cricket leadership, but a failure of the international cricket community.

Strip Australia of Test Status and evict them from the ICC. It's the only way they'll learn.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm on team "this is the first time they've done it in a similar manner (ie foreign objects) to this". Mainly because I don't think they're smart or subtle enough to do ball tampering over a long time. I mean, they hatched the plan at lunch and got busted a hour later when Bancroft looked like he was jerking off on the field. And I reckon they've made the choice to push ahead and do this as a result of cabin fever and a persecution complex stemming from the Warner/De Kock/Rabada incidents, which really goes to show how this Australian team which goes around the world acting like they're so hard are really just a bunch of soft cry babies

at least the coach hasn't called anyone a black **** lately though
Perfectly sums it all up IMO.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Adders mate, do you like living in Oz?
Yes. Love it and wouldn't choose to live anywhere else........love everything about it except for 1 small thing. Australians and the way they do sport.

Case in point.....this just popped up on my FB feed. This is how Aussies think you follow sport............

Untitled.jpg

It's all about the abuse.

Midwinter

State Captain
At least Smith has done us a favour by implicating the senior players and by extension the coaching staff in this.

If he had some sense of leadership he would have said it was his responsibility, it was all his idea, that he made made Bancroft do it and he would accept the consequences.
At least that way he would have been loyal to the other rats involved and people might say he made a bad decision under stress.

What must be the culture of the team that the senior players would think this was acceptable behaviour.

In the places where I have worked the culture of the workplace is set from the top, by senior management and senior staff.

What has happened in the past that the players would think their superiors, ( the team management and coaching staff), would accept what they planned to do ?

They must not have been in fear of losing their place if their superiors found out , criminals don't commit crimes thinking they will be caught. Wouldn't Bancroft have been taken off the ground and made to explain himself if the team management didn't know what was going on ?

The Cricket Australia board and executive should conduct an investigation into why there is a culture in the team that has led to the players making this decision.

Someone is responsible for this and they must found and got out of the game.

All the Board's governance, ethics, Spirit of Cricket, fair play,codes of conduct,and use of these players as role models for the community and junior players have been shown to be not worth the paper they were written.

Or was Gideon Haigh being prescient in his article yesterday when he wrote about hero's tolerance, that the governing will not enforce their own rules.

Last edited: