• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Cycling's been about that for decades. Doesn't mean athleticism isn't the primary factor though. When everyone is on the same **** then the guy who wins is still the best. Lance was the best comfortably.
No, because they weren't all on the same s--t, that's the point. They were all on drugs and lance had the best drugs, it reduced the importance of athleticism significantly. If you do the same thing with ball tampering it just becomes who can figure out the most constructive way of smuggling a hacksaw blade or machete onto the field and becomes less about who good you are at cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whether he deserves it or not, Smith will not get dumped as skipper. We all know that.

TheJediBrah

No, because they weren't all on the same s--t, that's the point. They were all on drugs and lance had the best drugs, it reduced the importance of athleticism significantly. If you do the same thing with ball tampering it just becomes who can figure out the most constructive way of smuggling a hacksaw blade or machete onto the field and becomes less about who good you are at cricket.
You're simply wrong

I'm not suggesting anything related to ball tampering, just correcting you somewhat off-topic

Whether he deserves it or not, Smith will not get dumped as skipper. We all know that.
Never should have been made skipper. He never showed any signs of leadership ability and he's a little ****. He's basically Australia's Kohli.

JBMAC

State Captain
Lehman has already stated the next ashes tour will be his last in charge of the team(wants to retire with family)...One thing bothers me about this whole episode...Is Smith, as skipper, falling on his sword for one of his young players when he really did not know it was going on? ..Just strikes me as odd. Good skippers in ANY sport have the same attitude and I could go back over the last 40 odd years for examples..Protect your teammates at all costs..Don't know ..just musing

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Not sure, he should be but not sure if CA will do it. Question is who the heck would replace him given that him and Warner are the only two properly guaranteed starters outside of the quicks and Lyon (who doesn't strike me as exactly captain material), and I'm fairly sure I remember reading a few dodgy headlines about little Davey Warner earlier in the series :laugh: :laugh:

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
You're simply wrong

I'm not suggesting anything related to ball tampering, just correcting you somewhat off-topic

Never should have been made skipper. He never showed any signs of leadership ability and he's a little ****. He's basically Australia's Kohli.
It's extremely off topic- lets just agree to disagree and take it up again on disgracedcyclingweb at some point in the future :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TheJediBrah

The funniest bit is I bet they came forward and admitted everything because they thought it would set them apart from the other teams, that they were honest and people would respect them for it.

Don't think it's going to work out that way lol

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, this was actually the most deplorable bit about this whole thing. Corrupting the disposable junior. Doesn't make sense on any level because obviously you're not douchey enough to completely throw him under the bus (nor do I suspect he would have silently let himself be thrown there anyways). So what's the point? Should have kept him away from all this.
Yeah I agree. This is possibly the worst thing about it. Why did the leadership group come up with the plan, and then get someone 7 tests in to his career to carry it out? Your plan, your responsibility. It's incredibly poor form to not only hatch a plan to cheat, but then **** up the new guy's life by having him carry it out. Even if he volunteered, they shouldn't have been willing to throw him under the bus. I thought Bancroft's comment that he was 'wrong place, wrong time' was fairly telling.

The way the whole thing played out on the field was incredibly amateurish. It was like something you'd find in a Benny Hill chase scene.

Son Of Coco

Pot calling the kettle black.

Aus behaviour is as bad if not worse. Way more incidents of poorly behaved Aussie fans then SA fans.

We may have overstepped the line but never as blatantly as this and we never tried to cover it up. Here we have Lehman/maddison & Smith trying to cover it up. Similar to how your board covered up Warne & waugh's bookie transgression...
I would argue fixing matches, which can involve deliberately not playing to the best of your ability, is worse. But that doesn't excuse this incident.

fredfertang

Bancroft is a professional cricketer in a tight unit - to suggest he was used as some sort of sacrificial lamb strikes me as highly unlikely

social

I’ve got quite a few former rep players as friends

Every single one says Smith should be sent home immediately

Every single one says “leadership group” should go as well

About 75% say we should forfeit test

Real anger in cricket community

Son Of Coco

Bancroft is a professional cricketer in a tight unit - to suggest he was used as some sort of sacrificial lamb strikes me as highly unlikely
He is, but it doesn't sound right to me that he would've said he'd do it with no prompting from the guys who came up with the idea in the first place. Clearly his position in relation to the bowler, and any suspicion that might come from an unexplained fielding position change if someone else did it, might have come into it. I'm pretty sure the 'leadership group' would have had a shortlist of fielders in positions where they could do the job, and I'm also pretty sure none of their names would have been on it, which is pissweak.

Spikey

I'm on team "this is the first time they've done it in a similar manner (ie foreign objects) to this". Mainly because I don't think they're smart or subtle enough to do ball tampering over a long time. I mean, they hatched the plan at lunch and got busted a hour later when Bancroft looked like he was jerking off on the field. And I reckon they've made the choice to push ahead and do this as a result of cabin fever and a persecution complex stemming from the Warner/De Kock/Rabada incidents, which really goes to show how this Australian team which goes around the world acting like they're so hard are really just a bunch of soft cry babies

at least the coach hasn't called anyone a black **** lately though

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think England's effort in getting bowled out for 58 in NZ makes it clear there was no need to ball tamper during The Ashes.
Rather be bowled out by Boult and Co for 58 than by your pack of cheating ****s any day. Rather support a **** cricket team than a pack of cheating, extremley dislikeable aresholes too.