• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
S.Marsh
Khawaja
Pucovski
Smith
Labuschagne
Wade
Paine
Starc/Patto
Haze
Lyon

yeah I know a lot of old ****s in the top 7 but the youngsters haven't been that impressive

I'd be partial to Carey as a bat ahead of Wade, and 1 or 2 of Hughes/Maddinson replacing the perennial failures at the top of the order

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I would go with

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith.exe
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Eight of those players select themselves, there were three tough calls. Burns over Harris because I am still somewhat underwhelmed by the effort of Harris in The Ashes, has had a very good start to the domestic season but is flattered somewhat by playing on some pretty docile pitches as opposed to the spicy Gabba decks Burns has had to negotiate. I would keep faith in Head even though his start to the season hasn't been brilliant, Kurtis Patterson was strongly considered for this spot but he will probably still be injured. And the fast bowling was the toughest choice of the lot, Starc struggled in his first game, but looked back close to his fearsome best against Tasmania, Jhye Richardson is very very close indeed, been highly impressive since his return from a crocked shoulder. Pattinson also there abouts, while still pretty rapid he hasn't quite looked as terrifying as he once was in recent times

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we're going to pick Warner based on "points in the bank" and someone like Harris because he's showing the type of form that is as close to fake news as you can get. You might as well pick Joe Burns based on scarce and scrappy runs on raunchy decks.

This is my issue with the Australian test summer, we always learn less than we think we learn.

TheJediBrah

I would go with

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith.exe
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Eight of those players select themselves, there were three tough calls. Burns over Harris because I am still somewhat underwhelmed by the effort of Harris in The Ashes, has had a very good start to the domestic season but is flattered somewhat by playing on some pretty docile pitches as opposed to the spicy Gabba decks Burns has had to negotiate. I would keep faith in Head even though his start to the season hasn't been brilliant, Kurtis Patterson was strongly considered for this spot but he will probably still be injured. And the fast bowling was the toughest choice of the lot, Starc struggled in his first game, but looked back close to his fearsome best against Tasmania, Jhye Richardson is very very close indeed, been highly impressive since his return from a crocked shoulder. Pattinson also there abouts, while still pretty rapid he hasn't quite looked as terrifying as he once was in recent times
I know you're sick of me talking **** about Head but seriously how could you justify even considering him? Looked atrocious in his last couple of Tests in England and done nothing in the first 2 Shield games to change anyone's mind, and looked pretty average doing it as well.

Last edited:

Gnske

I think the issue is hunger. Head has a natural hunger for runs that is more often than not satiated. He reminds me of Glenn Maxwell actually, but with about 10 runs more in him per innings. I think he's just a victim of the system.

You just have to bet on a player like Head satiating his hunger at the right moment, the first test of a summer for example.

stephen

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Patterson/Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

12th: Pattinson

Head only if Patterson is still crocked.

Khawaja unlucky but there's no space for him right now.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Lyon

I don't want to see Bancroft and Harris in the side for a while yet (if ever). If Burns and/or Warner fail then hopefully either Maddinson or Khawaja can come in to open later on. Head's form is too horrible to warrant selection and while I'd prefer Patterson he's injured so Pucovski gets the nod for me. Wade keeps his spot and could do some damage at 6 on our flat pitches. Worst case he fails and Patterson or Head come back in for NZ.

For the bowlers Pattinson, Starc and Richardson are all great options. Went with Pattinson just because I enjoy watching him bowl the most.

Thankfully M Marsh is injured.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Too early to call yet, but the following 6 would be locks

3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
7. Paine
8. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

And then the rest....

2 Openers from
Warner, Harris, Burns, Maddinson

2 Middle Order from
Wade, Maddinson, Burns, Pucovski

Final Pacer from
Starc, Richardson, Pattinson

stephen

Warner is a lock IMO. That hundred against QLD was very good and the hierarchy will be keen for a redemption story.

I also think Maddinson is competing for an opening spot, not a middle order spot.

Wade is almost locked in given he hit two ashes hundreds.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
notice you didn't even attempt to answer the question
Why would I bother? You spent ages trying to tell everyone that Handscomb was technically strong despite ample evidence to the contrary, so therefore I can't take anything you say on batting with anything more than a grain of salt.

Anyway, Maddinson may not be the worst idea for a recall. Hypothetically he could be another middle order option as well. Him and Wade as a middle order would be interesting, could be either brilliant or terrible depending on the day

TheJediBrah

Why would I bother? You spent ages trying to tell everyone that Handscomb was technically strong despite ample evidence to the contrary, so therefore I can't take anything you say on batting with anything more than a grain of salt.
Rubbish. I haven't claimed that Handscomb was a Test class batsman for a long time. The arguments we had were specifically about his technique being the problem, which I still maintain is not the issue he had. He simply wasn't good enough, it wasn't his technique that was the issue. Ftr I think Handscomb is lucky to be in the Victorian side atm

as to why you should bother, maybe to make it a bit less obvious that you clearly have no legitimate reason to say what you did because Head is clearly, rightfully, a long way from selection?

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing anyone could say could possibly convince you on this matter, no point arguing with someone who perpetually has their head stuck in the sand on such a wide and varied array of cricketing subjects. Nobody else wants to read this ****e, just have a spell champ

Back on topic, who do you let think would would be our next spinner in line if Garry is unavailable. SOK is still good but his age and history of disciplinary issues count against him, Holland has **** the bed every time he has worn an Australian shirt, and everybody else is either mediocre or too raw

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well honestly I think at the Gabba for instance the spinner would be Marnus and wed go 4 quicks.

If it was an actual turner, I think Agar would come into contention. Im not suggesting he is doing anything that spectacular, just lack of other options.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Not to get involved in above, but Head, Khawaja, Bancroft and Renshaw have done nothing in the shield to deserve consideration for the 1st test.

Patterson also had no chance due to injury. Has Wade done enough with a couple of good 40's?

I'm sure Warner will get in on his T20 scores and with Mmarsh out, it leaves it wide open for Maddinson to be a smokey for the 1st test. What a great comeback story the would be, move to Victoria to finally learn how to bat ;)