• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Maxwell isn't fit will they roll the dice with TSangh? Also would have preferred Hardie to Stoin, but he was always gonna be there I suppose.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If Maxwell isn't fit will they roll the dice with TSangh? Also would have preferred Hardie to Stoin, but he was always gonna be there I suppose.
I REALLY don't like the idea of stoinis/agar at 7 instead. Makes the team so much worse.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Pretty strong squad as you'd expect from the Aussies.

Possibly a touch light in the spinning department. Zampa is excellent but a bit weak after that.

Good pace options, plenty of all rounders and good batting depth.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Stoinis still a thing in ODIs why why why why why
Yeah I really don't like the makeup of the side with stoinis at 7 and agar at 8. Feels like where playing two of them to get what maxwell gives in one spot with the bat and the bowling is a ton weaker cause of it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Team for the first ODI vs SA was announced.
1.Warner
2.Head
3.Marsh
4 Green
5.Inglis
6.Carey
7.Stoinis
8.Agar
9.Abbott
10.Zampa
11.Haze.

Few major positives. Green is finally getting a run at 4 being chief amongst them. Not a fan of stoinis at 7 but it's probably the best solution to the maxwell problem. David's part time darts aren't gonna cut it with the ball and he's not half the fielder maxwell is. Matt short could have been a good pick, has the same explosive ceiling as maxwell and if you use his bowling right it's good enough to be your 5th option.

Not a fan of marsh batting top order here if he's not fit to bowl. Green-Marsh-Maxwell will probably be the 3 top 7 bowling options we have to go along with the 4 frontliners. I'm not sold on greens Whiteball bowling yet, and if marsh isn't fit than we're expecting alot from maxwell. More worried that marsh in the top order means we end up ****ing around with either Smith or Warner in the middle order, which seems like a bad idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Team for the first ODI vs SA was announced.
1.Warner
2.Head
3.Marsh
4 Green
5.Inglis
6.Carey
7.Stoinis
8.Agar
9.Abbott
10.Zampa
11.Haze.

Few major positives. Green is finally getting a run at 4 being chief amongst them. Not a fan of stoinis at 7 but it's probably the best solution to the maxwell problem. David's part time darts aren't gonna cut it with the ball and he's not half the fielder maxwell is. Matt short could have been a good pick, has the same explosive ceiling as maxwell and if you use his bowling right it's good enough to be your 5th option.

Not a fan of marsh batting top order here if he's not fit to bowl. Green-Marsh-Maxwell will probably be the 3 top 7 bowling options we have to go along with the 4 frontliners. I'm not sold on greens Whiteball bowling yet, and if marsh isn't fit than we're expecting alot from maxwell. More worried that marsh in the top order means we end up ****ing around with either Smith or Warner in the middle order, which seems like a bad idea.
If Marsh and Green are in the top 4, the bowling of whoever bats 7 is almost irrelevant IMO. Would much prefer David to Stoinis - neither should get a bowl in that side.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If Marsh and Green are in the top 4, the bowling of whoever bats 7 is almost irrelevant IMO. Would much prefer David to Stoinis - neither should get a bowl in that side.
Stoinis has been taking a few wickets recently, hasn't he? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on greens white ball bowling, don't rate it at all right now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was picking the team for the WC

Smith
Head
Marsh
Green
Warner
Carey
Maxwell
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Sangha

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Above team is obviously dependent upon Maxwell overall fitness and whether we can get a few overs out of Marsh

If Marsh can bowl & Maxwell is out then I would pick Short or David but selectors will obviously go with Stoinis

Would have made Marsh captain as well

I am also not particularly high on Carey these days after the number of terrible shots he’s played this winter

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It was a good innings but if 220 is a 50/50 score in India in many games then I will be mighty surprised.
The ICC usually get host countries to prepare slightly more bowler friendly decks for WC's, don't they? I remember everyone worrying about the 2019 WC being a 300-350+ plays 350+ type affair every game, and their was a fair few lower scoring games in their.

Molehill

International Captain
The ICC usually get host countries to prepare slightly more bowler friendly decks for WC's, don't they? I remember everyone worrying about the 2019 WC being a 300-350+ plays 350+ type affair every game, and their was a fair few lower scoring games in their.
Indeed, you've only got to look at the 2 semis and the Final, not to mention the T20 Final recently too. That's why England selected Stokes, because he can play the gritty innings on tough pitches. I guess there's still Smith to return for that role, but the others batted like headless chickens last night.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, you've only got to look at the 2 semis and the Final, not to mention the T20 Final recently too. That's why England selected Stokes, because he can play the gritty innings on tough pitches. I guess there's still Smith to return for that role, but the others batted like headless chickens last night.
Ehh. Head and marsh's job is to go out their and wack it, that's what they've been doing for ages. If it doesn't come off once in a while IDGAF. If they start failing consistently i'de be worried. Warner's shot is a bit concerning, but he also hasn't played a LOI game since the IPL, not gonna read into his stuff until we've seen him have a few hits. Carey and abbott coped very good balls (could have been a bit more solid in defense given the match situation, tbf). Inglis is a backup and stoinis is useless in ODI's and has been for 5+ years. A quick 20-30 odd at 7 is an above par effort from him at the moment.