• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

brockley

International Captain
Stu clark wants gayle,warner,marsh and cummins,but says the money not their,conceded that he will get a split blues team.

howardj

International Coach
What a dickhead McKenna is.

I told you in my review that T20 had peaked - and it has! And yet he still thinks little kids in India will tune in, in the middle of the night, to watch domestic players in Australia.

And then he says that, as with Collingwood and Essendon, people need to identify with their teams...so what does CA do? They get rid of State identities, state colours, and call the 'franchises' names such as 'Schorchers, Heat' etc...and then probably allocate players on the basis of a random draft!

And yet, we're meant to identify with our team, sorry franchise, in the same way that Collingwood supporters identify with theirs?

Jesus Christ man.

Arrgh!!!

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what's the TV rights situation? if they can get one game a round on FTA I reckon they might have a chance.

Spark

Global Moderator
Actually I think they might, I was hearing that it might get put on anti-siphoning a while back.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
What a dickhead McKenna is.

I told you in my review that T20 had peaked - and it has! And yet he still thinks little kids in India will tune in, in the middle of the night, to watch domestic players in Australia.

And then he says that, as with Collingwood and Essendon, people need to identify with their teams...so what does CA do? They get rid of State identities, state colours, and call the 'franchises' names such as 'Schorchers, Heat' etc...and then probably allocate players on the basis of a random draft!

And yet, we're meant to identify with our team, sorry franchise, in the same way that Collingwood supporters identify with theirs?

Jesus Christ man.

Arrgh!!!
Everytime that McKenna guy opens his mouth I get a bit more depressed. I know that CA need the money though, so in some ways I can't blame them for trying something.

brockley

International Captain
Gideon Hague on the outsiders said those players who don't play the big bash will take a cut in state fees,not good for the likes of chris rogers or simon katich.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
How awesome will it be to see the BB just fail so badly, what a complete farce in prospect. It will probably look good though after the thrashing the test team will get by India.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm in two minds about it.

I'd far prefer that they set up ACT or NT as a new state team with entry into all formats at state level.

But CA is going to lose out financially over this if it goes belly-up and that can't be good for the game.

It also just pisses me off that players are going to go into a draft. If Sydney and Melbourne are capable of having two teams, let them collect players from those two cities. NSW seems to provide at least half the Aus team at any one time, so why can't they provide enough players for the two BB teams?

I suppose that even if Shaun Marsh is with them, the WA/Perth team will be duff. Such is the way of things.

Spikey

Gideon Hague on the outsiders said those players who don't play the big bash will take a cut in state fees,not good for the likes of chris rogers or simon katich.
with two more teams rogers will find a spot somewhere, be it starting or just on a roster. it'll be interesting to see if older players like those take up a coaching role or something if they don't get picked up. I'm more concerned about fringe state players. Was hoping they'd get a pay rise seeing how in theory the states should be getting more money for this. Very disappointing and if true and I can understand the Player's association taking a stand

On the concept itself. I don't have a problem with an expended T20 team with 'new' teams in place of the state teams. But in practice they've done a very bad job. They announced they were doing this, and then pretty much didn't announce anything else for half a year. It now looks very much like it's being made up on the spot. They're just lucky the only people who know how bad of a job they're doing is us and this new comp isn't directed at us. It's directed at the person who goes to test and OD cricket in fancy dress and doesn't have a clue how the players in state cricket are going,

They won't be a problem amongst them going from supporting WA to Perth you'd have to say, and that seems to be a really common criticism on here for fairly obvious reasons.. Perth - WA, is much the same to them. But The issue of TV rights is so so so important. If they can get games, even just 1 out of 4, on FTA the comp will be fine, because they can watch it, grow to support the team, go to games etc, but you'd have to think the way CA are going they will **** it up and if Fox wants every game they'll get every game. They do this and they get more money, but many of the very people this is directed at will be isolated.

CA has also badly stuffed up badly in the two biggest markets. Two teams called Melbourne, two teams called Sydney? what the ****. The people in charge of those teams are gonna have a very hard job in front of them to get people to follow their team instead of the other one. Instant success will be so important to get the people to follow their team. Could see a case where 70-80% support one team because they get off to a flying start and the other team is doomed.

(btw where's the 2nd Mlb. team playing at? Up here one's at the SCG - which is the one I will support - and one's at the Olympic stadium.)

Of course all that said you've have to think the 2nd Mlb. team is very much a temp thing, and when Kardinia Park gets some lights they'll be off to Geelong. And the 2nd NSW team - which should have been called GWS or something - could have been in Newcastle instead. Two brand new teams called the same is just so so so stupid and makes you wonder what on earth they're doing.

And Tasmania will never have a 2nd team no matter how successful the comp is, so call the team Tasmania and perhaps have Hobart & Launceston get in a bidding war to host games. They ****ed up there too.

I'm pretty hopeful about all this - it'll be a huge success, each state will get a lot of money which will be spent on improving cricket in their states, grade players will get a opportunity, young players will get to learn off international superstars etc. It'll probably end in tears but hey. Personally I'd rather a merger with the NZ comp but I guess CA would never allow that to happen.

Last edited:

Spikey

with two more teams rogers will find a spot somewhere, be it starting or just on a roster. it'll be interesting to see if older players like those take up a coaching role or something if they don't get picked up. I'm more concerned about fringe state players. Was hoping they'd get a pay rise seeing how in theory the states should be getting more money for this. Very disappointing and if true and I can understand the Player's association taking a stand

On the concept itself. I don't have a problem with an expended T20 team with 'new' teams in place of the state teams. But in practice they've done a very bad job. They announced they were doing this, and then pretty much didn't announce anything else for half a year. It now looks very much like it's being made up on the spot. They're just lucky the only people who know how bad of a job they're doing is us and this new comp isn't directed at us. It's directed at the person who goes to test and OD cricket in fancy dress and doesn't have a clue how the players in state cricket are going,

They won't be a problem amongst them going from supporting WA to Perth you'd have to say, and that seems to be a really common criticism on here for fairly obvious reasons.. Perth - WA, is much the same to them. But The issue of TV rights is so so so important. If they can get games, even just 1 out of 4, on FTA the comp will be fine, because they can watch it, grow to support the team, go to games etc, but you'd have to think the way they're going they will **** it up and if Fox wants every game they'll get every game. They do this and they get more money, but many of the very people this is directed at will be isolated.

CA has also badly stuffed up badly in the two biggest markets. Two teams called Melbourne, two teams called Sydney? what the ****. The people in charge of those teams are gonna have a very hard job in front of them to get people to follow their team instead of the other one. Instant success will be so important to get the people to follow their team. Could see a case where 70-80% support one team because they get off to a flying start and the other team is doomed.

(btw where's the 2nd Mlb. team playing at? Up here one's at the SCG - which is the one I will support - and one's at the Olympic stadium.)

Of course all that said you've have to think the 2nd Mlb. team is very much a temp thing, and when Kardinia Park gets some lights they'll be off to Geelong. And the 2nd NSW team - which should have been called GWS or something - could have been in Newcastle instead. Two brand new teams called the same is just so so so stupid and makes you wonder what on earth they're doing.

And Tasmania will never have a 2nd team no matter how successful the comp is, so call the team Tasmania and perhaps have Hobart & Launceston get in a bidding war to host games. They ****ed up there too.

I'm pretty hopeful about all this - it'll be a huge success, each state will get a lot of money which will be spent on improving cricket in their states, grade players will get a opportunity, young players will get to learn off international superstars etc. It'll probably end in tears but hey. Personally I'd rather a merger with the NZ comp but I guess CA would never allow that to happen.