• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
heh, Berry. Good luck son! Fully agree FC cricketers should be playing more grade cricket. Dunno about compulsory training but they should probably try to get out there more often.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

It's best part about what he's saying is how easily achievable it is. Pick local talent, get players more involved with their grade sides, get rid of the dead wood and stop importing rejects from other states. Whether it results in a flag, who knows but it's worth a punt. Don't think we'll have anyone here mourning the loss of meddling interstate players.

Maybe they'll finally start picking younger blokes on a regular basis, would be nice to see Kane Richardson play more state cricket in general because his star is on the rise and we'll lose him quickly if he backs up with a good one next season.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
It's best part about what he's saying is how easily achievable it is. Pick local talent, get players more involved with their grade sides, get rid of the dead wood and stop importing rejects from other states. Whether it results in a flag, who knows but it's worth a punt. Don't think we'll have anyone here mourning the loss of meddling interstate players.

Maybe they'll finally start picking younger blokes on a regular basis, would be nice to see Kane Richardson play more state cricket in general because his star is on the rise and we'll lose him quickly if he backs up with a good one next season.
Getting state players connected more to the clubs is a very simple and very solid idea. In most underfunded sports top players are automatically part of club systems. It's brilliant for the juniors to have top names around.

Top_Cat

It's been a problem in SA grade cricket for as long as I was playing and certainly a talking point for longer. I remember when I was playing for Woodville, half the A-grade side were state players but I rarely saw them at training. Uni was better but even then, you'd only see the fringe players. As I said, I dunno how sustainable making them go every Thu would be, especially around Big Bash time but it's a commendable ideal.

Berry would be well aware of the problems SA has had with guys too snobby to head out for their clubs, he played here (his club was Kensington I think?) for SA before moving back to Vic and I don't think things have changed much.....

So, who'll be on the chopping block? O'Brien - def. Reckon Borgas and Duval are in real trouble. Richardson/George/Cassell/Christian/[spinner] is potentially a potent attack on Adelaide Oval, tbh.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
It's been a problem in SA grade cricket for as long as I was playing and certainly a talking point for longer. I remember when I was playing for Woodville, half the A-grade side were state players but I rarely saw them at training. Uni was better but even then, you'd only see the fringe players. As I said, I dunno how sustainable making them go every Thu would be, especially around Big Bash time but it's a commendable ideal.

Berry would be well aware of the problems SA has had with guys too snobby to head out for their clubs, he played here (his club was Kensington I think?) for SA before moving back to Vic and I don't think things have changed much.....

So, who'll be on the chopping block? O'Brien - def. Reckon Borgas and Duval are in real trouble. Richardson/George/Cassell/Christian/[spinner] is potentially a potent attack on Adelaide Oval, tbh.
I don't think it's all the players fault all the time. That's why it's refreshing to hear a coach talk about it.

I think it's worse at national level. Players get told to rest when they actually want to play state cricket.

Michael Clarke wanted to play a club match at some point last summer to get some time in the middle, which was commendable and showed how bothered he was about his form, but the mgt of the national team said no.

Bad attitudes towards the lower levels aren't purely down to the players. Any state or national player that wants to play a club match should be encouraged time permitting.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Would be v surprised if Borgas is chopped. And if he is, would love him at NSW.
Srs? The bloke looks class if the ball isn't moving, bouncing or sent down at a frightening pace in fairness but I can't see how he'd get a place in the FC team ahead of any of the top-7.

T20, maybe.

Top_Cat

I don't think it's all the players fault all the time. That's why it's refreshing to hear a coach talk about it.

I think it's worse at national level. Players get told to rest when they actually want to play state cricket.

Michael Clarke wanted to play a club match at some point last summer to get some time in the middle, which was commendable and showed how bothered he was about his form, but the mgt of the national team said no.

Bad attitudes towards the lower levels aren't purely down to the players. Any state or national player that wants to play a club match should be encouraged time permitting.
Fair point but, Tait aside, can guarantee you there were no official impediments on SACA-listed players if they wanted to play/train more often with their grade sides.

benchmark00

Srs? The bloke looks class if the ball isn't moving, bouncing or sent down at a frightening pace in fairness but I can't see how he'd get a place in the FC team ahead of any of the top-7.

T20, maybe.
Nah I like the boy for some reason. Can't put my finger on it, but just like him.

Top_Cat

That's fair, certainly him looking the goods was what got him selected in the first place at 17.

I know what you mean though. Just hasn't put the whole ball of wax together very often. Can play a gritty knock one day and bomb balls 20 rows back another but rarely in the same season.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Borgas has always looked good, but I always got the feeling that Ferguson was the more gun player, and Borgas was kinda like a poor mans Fergie. Hasnt really stepped up in all these years. I dont know how many matches he's played, but its under 50, which over 10 years probably isnt all that many, but he hasnt nailed down in a spot in a decade, time to move on. He got picked ridiculously young, but its been a long time, average of 30 isnt good enough.

Last edited: