• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

TumTum

Banned
Haha, might have to agree to disagree :)
On what, the discussion's status or the discussion itself? ;)

So you believe Drift and Flight are enough to get quality batsman out, whereas I don't.

I rank the importance of the 2 aspects like this: Both drift & spin - Spin by itself - Drift by itself (from most to least effective). So you can see why I don't rate Hauritz or Vettori. Smith has neither ftr and he's not accurate either which is why he's a pie chucker :p

Spark

Global Moderator
wtf? i'm not going to even argue with you on smith, but i was citing kumble as a bowler who didn't turn it that much but was supremely effective through flight. harbhajan in 01 - blew us off the park through insane drop.

good spin bowlers beat batsmen in the air first and foremost.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
wtf? i'm not going to even argue with you on smith, but i was citing kumble as a bowler who didn't turn it that much but was supremely effective through flight. harbhajan in 01 - blew us off the park through insane drop.
You can't compare finger spinners to wrist spinners that easily. Overspin/Drop is a new skill altogether, which he's still the best at in the world.

TumTum

Banned
good spin bowlers beat batsmen in the air first and foremost.
Good spin bowlers can also spin it. Obviously you beat them firstly by the flight, but it doesn't help your cause if the ball just goes where the batsman expect it to go.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good spin bowlers can also spin it. Obviously you beat them firstly by the flight, but it doesn't help your cause if the ball just goes where the batsman expect it to go.
Which doesn't happen if you beat him in flight, regardless of whether it turns.

TumTum

Banned
Which doesn't happen if you beat him in flight, regardless of whether it turns.
What do you mean by "beat"? As in the batsman misses the delivery altogether or that he gets himself into a bad position?

As I said, yes the batsman will survive that situation because the ball does nothing off the pitch. The batsman don't expect the ball to spin and it doesn't. Life of Hauritz basically.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What do you mean by "beat"? As in the batsman misses the delivery altogether or that he gets himself into a bad position?

As I said, yes the batsman will survive that situation because the ball does nothing off the pitch. The batsman don't expect the ball to spin and it doesn't. Life of Hauritz basically.
Ah ok, you don't have a clue about spin bowling.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saying a spinner needs to spin it big to be successful seems awfully a lot like saying a fast bowler has to be fast to take wickets. And both of those assumptions are woefully incorrect.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

So this is how a batsman plays a spinner.

1) They look at the ball out of the hand and try and pick the type of ball so that they can play for any spin
2) At the same time they try and judge the length and line of the ball
3) They move their feet so that they are in position to hit the ball
4) They watch the ball off the pitch and play for spin

Good spin bowling either has to
a) spin so much that they catch the batsman not playing a shot or playing the wrong line (which is hard to do if they can see the ball off the pitch at point 4); or
b) beat the batsman in the air. Beating the batsman in the air means that at step 2 they misjudge the line and length and at step 3 they move their feet incorrectly meaning that by step 4 they are completely out of position regardless of what the ball does off the pitch.

Spin bowlers who are good at (a) are generally legspinners or finger spinners on a crumbling pitch. They get a lot of caught behinds/lbws and bowleds.

Spin bowlers who are good at (b) are generally fingerspinners and get a high portion of outfield catches and catches in front of square.

Spin bowlers who do both are usually named Shane Warne.

TumTum

Banned
Saying a spinner needs to spin it big to be successful seems awfully a lot like saying a fast bowler has to be fast have seam movement to take wickets. And both of those assumptions are woefully incorrect.
Fixed. Drift = Swing & Spin = Seam.

So this is how a batsman plays a spinner.

1) They look at the ball out of the hand and try and pick the type of ball so that they can play for any spin
2) At the same time they try and judge the length and line of the ball
3) They move their feet so that they are in position to hit the ball
4) They watch the ball off the pitch and play for spin

Good spin bowling either has to
a) spin so much that they catch the batsman not playing a shot or playing the wrong line (which is hard to do if they can see the ball off the pitch at point 4); or
b) beat the batsman in the air. Beating the batsman in the air means that at step 2 they misjudge the line and length and at step 3 they move their feet incorrectly meaning that by step 4 they are completely out of position regardless of what the ball does off the pitch.

Spin bowlers who are good at (a) are generally legspinners or finger spinners on a crumbling pitch. They get a lot of caught behinds/lbws and bowleds.

Spin bowlers who are good at (b) are generally fingerspinners and get a high portion of outfield catches and catches in front of square.

Spin bowlers who do both are usually named Shane Warne.
:laugh: Mate that's the same as everything I just said, not doubting you there. My point is that if you don't get anything of the pitch, being beaten in the air alone won't lose you your wicket. Hauritz, Vettori will confirm.

Also reading spin off the pitch is only possible if you play it from the back foot. However even if you read the spin, it doesn't mean you are going to adjust for it in time (which is basically how KP dismissed Clarke, Clarkey picked it up but wasn't able to execute because he had to cover such a distance)..

YouTube - Shane Warne - Ball Of The Century

The reason that this is called the ball of the century is that it beat the batsmen both in flight and off the pitch. Look at the way he adjusted his shot halfway through the delivery, only to have the ball rip right back past the bat. Orgasmic.
Great ball that, because as you said it did both.

Now visualize if the ball didn't turn and just straightened. Gatting although being in a bad position adjusted quite well and he had covered for the small amount of spin that could have been there, and if the ball just skidded it would have hit his pad way outside leg stump.

As I keep saying you need both:
me said:
I rank the importance of the 2 aspects like this: Both drift & spin - Spin by itself - Drift by itself (from most to least effective).

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Nail - Hit - Head

CA are full of boofheads

- Split innings cricket in a World Cup year
- Demanding Bollinger and Hussey play Champions League instead of preparing for a Test match
- Extending Timmy Nielsen's contract for another three years
- Making the Big Bash become City-based

They're a bunch of ****ing toss-pots, more concerned with marketing (by the way, Doug Bollinger is massively overexposed considering his achievements) than they are with the national team's well-being.

This is what concerns me with any Australian revival - it has to be achieved not just with questionable playing stocks, but despite dicks like Nielsen, Sutherland, CA, Chappell and Hilditch leading the way.

The perfect storm of dickheads

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fixed. Drift = Swing & Spin = Seam.

:laugh: Mate that's the same as everything I just said, not doubting you there. My point is that if you don't get anything of the pitch, being beaten in the air alone won't lose you your wicket. Hauritz, Vettori will confirm.

Also reading spin off the pitch is only possible if you play it from the back foot. However even if you read the spin, it doesn't mean you are going to adjust for it in time (which is basically how KP dismissed Clarke, Clarkey picked it up but wasn't able to execute because he had to cover such a distance)..

Great ball that, because as you said it did both.

Now visualize if the ball didn't turn and just straightened. Gatting although being in a bad position adjusted quite well and he had covered for the small amount of spin that could have been there, and if the ball just skidded it would have hit his pad way outside leg stump.

As I keep saying you need both:
lolno.