• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
See, I dunno if it's that they can't play state cricket. The guys with the best form this season (Hussey, Watto, Siddle) have played all forms of the game they can get their paws on for Australia, IPL and fit in some state cricket. The guys with the worst form (Johnson, Clarke, Ponting) played nowhere near as much cricket, came into this summer claiming they were fresh as daisies from all the rest they had and have skipped state games.
Indeed. Courtney Walsh always said the best way to keep bowling well and remain injury free was simply to keep bowling (playing). Trundling into the nets will never replicate or replace match fitness nor create form

howardj

International Coach
Does anybody share my outrage about Clarke and Hughes attending a Shane Warne Foundation breakfast on the morning of the Boxing day Test.

Particularly in light of stuff like this.

Australia's senior players had a leadership meeting on the first night of the pre-season camp at Coolum and Ponting advised his fellow headline acts to join him in shunning promotions in preference to razor-sharp preparations.

howardj

International Coach
Like the playing of state cricket, nobody stands up to these guys.

Nielsen is like a wet bus ticket.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Really need the coach to step in and give them a whack before they leave in the morning. Timmy probably said it'd be good for their spirits or some crap...or did Langer suggest that

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The two are not mutually exclusive though - IPL and Shield. They don't really clash as such, as G_T pointed out.

Agree about the current players hardly playing. They've really become disconnected from their State squads.

Criminal that they are thinking of re-arranging the schedule so the international players can play more Big Bash, and yet they won't undertake the same rearrangement so they can play more Shield.
IMO, CA should create at least one window in the international calendar that allows all Australian players to be available for their states for several matches each season

Spark

Global Moderator
See, I dunno if it's that they can't play state cricket. The guys with the best form this season (Hussey, Watto, Siddle) have played all forms of the game they can get their paws on for Australia, IPL and fit in some state cricket. The guys with the worst form (Johnson, Clarke, Ponting) played nowhere near as much cricket, came into this summer claiming they were fresh as daisies from all the rest they had and have skipped state games.

True or not, it looks like the senior players are using that clout to pick and choose their games. Fair enough if they were smashing it but they're all batting and bowling like ****s.
Clarke was going to play the second shield game wasn't he? That back injury was the worst thing...

No idea why Ponting was resting from so many matches doing nothing though.

I see absolutely no reason that a player shouldn't play Shield cricket if he doesnt' have international duties. How much international duties does the average player have nowadays though?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, CA should create at least one window in the international calendar that allows all Australian players to be available for their states for several matches each season
there's hardly enough Shield games as well

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah both of the above are are absolutely correct. More shield games, more test players playing them

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If they need to extend the Big **** extend the bloody Shield season. No wonder the domestic system is going to the dogs. They only play 10(?) matches a year. If need be, play at other grounds like Bankstown etc.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
They play a few at Bankstown. But I agree, either make players available for Shield Cricket, or create extra Shield Games.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
easier said than done though. extending the season isn't an option due to the grounds being relinquished to the AFL. the OD comp would have to be seriously cut back.

in any case i'd prefer more australia A games (which have been making a comeback of sorts in recent seasons), cricket academy squads going to england in the off-season and overall encouraging players to go to england when possible. plus a cut down in ODI's obviously.

edit didn't see the previous two posts. a earlier start at those minor grounds could perhaps be feasible.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
easier said than done though. extending the season isn't an option due to the grounds being relinquished to the AFL. the OD comp would have to be seriously cut back.

in any case i'd prefer more australia A games (which have been making a comeback of sorts in recent seasons), cricket academy squads going to england in the off-season and overall encouraging players to go to england when possible and a cut down in ODI's.
Yeah play on much lesser known grounds. No need to play at the fabulous 6 all the time.

Agree on the other points though

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
On of the most depressing parts of the summer was watching Hauritz hit 2 tons for NSW in the weeks leading up to us being bowled out for 98 on a wicket that was never going to work for 4 quicks. Just diabolical.
If my memory serves me right, much the same selectors dropped Hauritz for the last two Ashes tests in 2009.

4th Test at Leeds our pacemen smacked 'em on the first day.

5th & deciding Test at The Oval, was a pretty dry pitch expected to turn a bit later in the game (it wound up turning sideways).
Poms win by just under 200 with Swann taking 8/158 off 54 overs. (plus a runout at slip off his bowling)
Our part-time spinners took 4/160 off 52 overs.

Sure - we didn't deserve to win after 160 in the first innings but these sorts of selection blunders don't help things.

At the time, at least Cox admitted his mistake but lightning has struck twice. :@:@:@
Selectors have got to go. Only complete idiots don't learn fro their mistakes.

TumTum

Banned
If my memory serves me right, much the same selectors dropped Hauritz for the last two Ashes tests in 2009.

4th Test at Leeds our pacemen smacked 'em on the first day.

5th & deciding Test at The Oval, was a pretty dry pitch expected to turn a bit later in the game (it wound up turning sideways).
Poms win by just under 200 with Swann taking 8/158 off 54 overs. (plus a runout at slip off his bowling)
Our part-time spinners took 4/160 off 52 overs.

Sure - we didn't deserve to win after 160 in the first innings but these sorts of selection blunders don't help things.

At the time, at least Cox admitted his mistake but lightning has struck twice. :@:@:@
Selectors have got to go. Only complete idiots don't learn fro their mistakes.
Nobody expected the pitch to be that dry, most thought it would be really flat.

It would have been even more stupid to abandon the 4 man pace attack which just won us a game convincingly.

social

Nobody expected the pitch to be that dry, most thought it would be really flat.

It would have been even more stupid to abandon the 4 man pace attack which just won us a game convincingly.
Literally everybody bar the Australian hierarchy expected it to be dry and, if they didnt, a ****ing look at it before play would've convinced them

A quite astounding selection blunder IMO

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Massive blunder. Funny how each time we go with 4 quicks it seems to go ok, then we do it for the next match and it FAILS.

Also, just thinking, where are the quality openers these days? Last proper opener Aus have had is Hayden. Everyone else was a middle order bat (Watto/Katich/Langer). Phil Jaques was so unlucky with his injury, he was going so well by the end of that WI tour. Must admit to never being impressed by Rogers, more uncomfortable than Hughes on the legside. Has the numbers though, to his credit. Any chance of him getting a 2nd test? Time we had some hard arse players to beef up our team, rather than these softies. Need more guys like Katich, who arent afraid of a bit of chest hair.

social

in any case i'd prefer more australia A games (which have been making a comeback of sorts in recent seasons), cricket academy squads going to england in the off-season and overall encouraging players to go to england when possible. plus a cut down in ODI's obviously.

edit didn't see the previous two posts. a earlier start at those minor grounds could perhaps be feasible.
Aside from the main venues that dont host huge amounts of winter sport, Allan Border Field, Cairns and Darwin have all hosted international matches and could be used more extensively early in the season

I'm also in favour of more A team tours e.g. with an Ashes tour coming up in 2013, it makes perfect sense to me to schedule an A tour for 2012