• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It interesting to compare AT ODI XIs for I, P, and SL. I'd go

Tendulkar
Rohit
Ganguly
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni (wk)
Kapil
Irfan Pathan
Kumble
Shami
Bumrah

Anwar
Shahid Afridi
Babar
Z Abbas
Miandad/Inzy
Rizwan (wk)
Imran
Razzaq
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain

Jayasuriya
T Dilshan
Sangakkara (wk)
Jayawardene
Aravinda
6/7 2 from Ranatunga/Arnold/Mathews
Vaas
Kulasekera
Murali
Malinga

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
test
  1. Hanif Mohammad
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Kumar Sangakkara
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Javed Miandad
  6. Shakib al Hasan
  7. Mushfiqur Rahim (wk)
  8. Imran Khan (c)
  9. Wasim Akram
  10. Waqar Younis
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Coronis

International Coach
I like the selection of Mushfiqur R - good call.
Oh its not a bad call by any means. I just personally think with Sanga you’re getting more runs (probably not as many as without the gloves though) and just as good keeping, so if you’ve got Sanga in the side already, add another batsman in there.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Mushy's keeping has always been kinda crap. It'd be weird to have him keeping while Sanga is also playing, and if he wasn't keeping it'd be weird to have him in the side at all.
that was my thought too, mushi’s keeping can be a liability at times. But for now I think Mushfiq merits the keeping spot until one of Rizwan or Pant takes it overtime anyways. Rizwan being a big contender due to his glovework and pant’s uncertainity of form post injury.

Its important to note at no.6 Mushfiq possess some of the best stats anyways in comparision to other asian batsmen, while providing the glovework to allow Sanga to play to his potential

ataraxia

International Coach
  1. Sunil Gavaskar /
  2. Farokh Engineer + /
  3. Rahul Dravid /
  4. Sachin Tendulkar /
  5. Kumar Sangakkara /
  6. Younis Khan /
  7. Imran Khan* o /
  8. Kapil Dev o /
  9. Wasim Akram o /
  10. Waqar Younis o
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan o
Odd that it ended up with a pace bias.

Rather light on batting – no truly great ARs or keepers to choose from made it difficult. Tempted to include Shakib, or Jadeja. Pant lacks the longevity but should get there. How's Liton's keeping? He could be a decent choice soon if he can keep and bat, something that of all of Asia about two people can do otherwise.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
…..is that satire?

what is a keeper doing opening in tests? And engineer really? Why is sanga at 5? why is younis at 6? Kapil in odis is understandable, but tests especially when shakib exists? The remark on Imran not being a true AR?

ataraxia

International Coach
…..is that satire?

what is a keeper doing opening in tests? And engineer really? Why is sanga at 5? why is younis at 6? Kapil in odis is understandable, but tests especially when shakib exists? The remark on Imran not being a true AR?
No. It is not.

I'm not sure; you'll have to ask Engineer. Yes, really. Because Dravid is a better temperamental fit for #3 and is effectively a third opener in this side. As there are better batters in the slots above him, and it's not a tough gig for a MOB to slot down two spots. I was going to go Shakib, but checked Kapil's figures and they're really not shabby at all. I overlooked Imran as an AR – in terms of team balance, he ain't a fifth bowler which was more what I was attempting to say.

I mean, if you were to poll CW for a side 8 or 9 of the players I've picked would be included. A satire side would utilise Jadeja, and perhaps Kallis, and denote the worst possible slip fielders so that the True Wasim can come out and play.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
These are teams I picked on page 3 of this thread and I still agree with them although would remove Kohli as an option for the 2nd xi.

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Miandad
Shakib
Imran (c)
Prasanna J/Engineer(wk)
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

2nd XI:
Hanif
Anwar
Dravid
Younis Khan
Kohli/Inzaman/Jayawardene?
Dhoni (c) (wk)
Kapil
Ashwin
Herath
Shoaib
Bumrah

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
These are teams I picked on page 3 of this thread and I still agree with them although would remove Kohli as an option for the 2nd xi.

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Miandad
Shakib
Imran (c)
Prasanna J/Engineer(wk)
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

2nd XI:
Hanif
Anwar
Dravid
Younis Khan
Kohli/Inzaman/Jayawardene?
Dhoni (c) (wk)
Kapil
Ashwin
Herath
Shoaib
Bumrah
How is Dravid not an automatic selection?

Socerer 01

International Captain
No

Actually Shakib is a good call. How's his performance against SENA countries and away?
he has only played in 3 countries - england nz and south africa. other than nz the other two were in 2008 and 2010. did not cross 30 in those two countries with bat but has a 200 on one of the flattest pitches of last decade in nz and also a 100 and 2 50s. he was great with the ball against south africa, below average in nz but that place is graveyard for spinners and has a fifer in england. the main criticism of him is that he skips on these tours, he opted out of one south african tour i can remember, dont think he was fit for the other tours of nz and south africa

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have changed my mind a bit.

Gavaskar
Dravid
Younis
Sachin
Sangakkara +
Miandad
Jadeja/Kapil
Imran (c)
Wasim
Murali
Waqar
Dravid opening is actually a good idea imo. It'd be a really good opening combo overseas. Only change I'd make is switching Sanga and Younis, since sangas biggest strength was getting huge scores which wouldn't be exploited if he batted lower down.

Also think for an Asia team, two spinners should absolutely be picked so one of Jadeja/Shakib should be in there over kapil.