• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Why on Earth would we do that. It's not like we're lacking in tall forward options, or that Lloyd is on anything other than his last year as a player (with a few games of suspension left to serve anyhow).

As if he'd ever do it anyway.
Because he'd be your best forward and give you a genuine tilt at a flag? Maybe that?

This **** that he's on his last legs is stupid. He kicked 60 goals last year and 36 this year with an injury interrupted season.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Because he'd be your best forward and give you a genuine tilt at a flag? Maybe that?

This **** that he's on his last legs is stupid. He kicked 60 goals last year and 36 this year with an injury interrupted season.
You're dreaming - the guy's not even convinced he wants to go on next year. Bet you he doesn't kick more than 36 goals next year if he does. Jack Anthony and Travis Cloke will be better than Lloyd next year.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Brown and Riewoldt by fifteen streets.

The idea that the Coleman Medal winner should automatically be the All-Australian FF is absolute rubbish, by the way.
That's the conclusion I came to today, although not by such a big margin as you're suggesting. Fev's very good, and would complement either one of Brown or Riewoldt more than those two complement each other - that said, I still think the Brown-Riewoldt combination would be stronger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hawthorn have apparently offered him a 3 year deal for 800K. Heard they were interested before.

TBH I wasn't that bothered about him being traded before this news (don't think he would have walked out if Hawthorn weren't offering him owt) he's not necessarily going to be in our 22 going forward but would have been a solid depth player. Proved he's not a midfielder this year and as Hoggy said, we have solid options down back now.
I strongly believe Gibson made your best 22, and would in 2 years time.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Cloke brother genes are kicking in on Trav IMO. Was about this time Jason lost it... :whistling:
Trav is a bit different from Jason. Jason was someone who was briefly successful in a specific role based largely on his preparedness to give it his all - Travis also has his success when he's been fully committed, but he has a bit more natural talent than Jason. Cameron's actually kicked on a bit as well I think at Carlton.

Also, Hoggy slagged Cam Wood earlier. I'd have agreed with him at the start of this season, but Wood is finally starting to deliver on the potential that was seen in him. I took him longer than had been hoped, but not all players are ready at 20, especially ruckman. I don't think it's at all clear that Fraser is a better first ruck than him at this point, and the guy's still only 22. If he can consistently produce the form that he displayed this season when he got a settled run, he could be our first ruck for the next five-eight years. That would be a pretty fair return for pick 14.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Trav is a bit different from Jason. Jason was someone who was briefly successful in a specific role based largely on his preparedness to give it his all - Travis also has his success when he's been fully committed, but he has a bit more natural talent than Jason. Cameron's actually kicked on a bit as well I think at Carlton.

Also, Hoggy slagged Cam Wood earlier. I'd have agreed with him at the start of this season, but Wood is finally starting to deliver on the potential that was seen in him. I took him longer than had been hoped, but not all players are ready at 20, especially ruckman. I don't think it's at all clear that Fraser is a better first ruck than him at this point, and the guy's still only 22. If he can consistently produce the form that he displayed this season when he got a settled run, he could be our first ruck for the next five-eight years. That would be a pretty fair return for pick 14.
Yeah, Cam Wood has been a really good player for you guys in the second half of the year, couldn't believe that you dropped him for the final against St Kilda. Was the side-effect of bringing in Rocca though, I guess.

Think most people know that a large part of the reasoning for selecting the other two Clokes was to make sure that Travis would end up there. Jason got caught out when the loose man in defence had to be able to use the ball as well as be third man up (similar thing happened to Jared Rivers, but he's been given time to develop his game). Cameron is a transition player; think he'll be gone if Warnock gets fit.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Carlton paid waaaay over the odds for Robbie Warnock. He could develop into something good, but he was never so awesome at Freo he deserved so much attention (much like Mundy).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, they did. But when you've got Kreuzer, you can afford to have a super tall ruckman, who may not provide as much around the ground, but will help dictate clearances for the 40% of the game that he plays.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, they did. But when you've got Kreuzer, you can afford to have a super tall ruckman, who may not provide as much around the ground, but will help dictate clearances for the 40% of the game that he plays.
You don't need to pay through the nose for a guy who is essentially going to be a backup ruckman (and is also unproven).

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, I've just seen that they didn't really pay through the nose for him at all. Could have sworn there was a first rounder involved.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I strongly believe Gibson made your best 22, and would in 2 years time.
He was in our best 22 this year, but where's he going to play in a years time? Not in the midfield thats for sure. Not as a KPB if we're going to be going in the right direction, so its 3rd tall/rebounding defender. Thompson will eventually take 3rd tall, with Grima FB and Hansen CHB and Scott Mcmahon has been very good in defense this year. Rawlings has been moved into the back line, Pratt's there and Urquhart & Harding.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Warnock + #69 (tee hee) for #24, #56 and #72.

And yeah, I think they are paying him quite the packet.
One wonders how they manage to fit him, Judd, Fev, Murphy, Gibbs in the cap, and presumably plan to pay Kreuzer enough to retain him as well. Stevens would have been on a decent package when he defected as well, although that's probably been revised by now. One hesitates to suggest that a team with the morals of Carlton would try to dodgy the salary cap, but you'd also have to wonder whether Visy stockholders feel they've received a decent return from their investment in Judd as their environmental ambassador.

Redbacks

International Captain
Carlton paid waaaay over the odds for Robbie Warnock. He could develop into something good, but he was never so awesome at Freo he deserved so much attention (much like Mundy).
Players who leave Freo have a good track record of improving quite a bit for their new clubs. Medhurst, McPhee, Croad on return etc.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In a clear demonstration of how little other teams thought of Fremantle, in the 2007 trade period, Fremantle offered Essendon a fourth round draft pick in exchange for Kepler Bradely. The Bombers demanded a first or second round selection. Essendon's demand for a first round selection was not a reflection of their rating of Bradely. Essendon's main concern with the trade was that Fremantle was not being ripped off enough, and by failing to exploit Fremantle, Essendon was in fact losing face. When the trade failed to eventuate, Essendon cut Bradely from the list and got nothing in return. For Essendon, Bradley was only of comic value. By asking for a 1st round pick, Essendon was seeing if it could again sell the Dockers a magic bean. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
In 2008, Carlton wanted highly rated Fremantle ruckman Robbie Warnock, who held Fremantle to randsome by saying he would only agree to be traded to Calrton. The Blues offered a second round selection. Fremantle wanted a first. Carlton refused to budge and Fremantle caved in. Other clubs had offered Fremantle more, but the Dockers just had no spine to stand up to Carlton or the player.​
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.