• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There's actually quite a few subcontinental cricketers who have moved to live in Australia after they've retired (or before, in Dhawan's case). I've long felt that it's kind of weird that Australian cricket doesn't try to really try and take advantage and court their experience and knowledge of foreign conditions and different styles of play.
Sridharan Sriram is still your spin coach, right?

Spark

Global Moderator
Russel Arnold does some batting coaching at parra. Good fella.
Yeah this is the sort of thing I'm advocating. Tbf I'm sort of thinking about this in the context of the twitter discussions about Australian cricket's penetration, or lack thereof, into migrant communities, even ones with a cricket background.

anil1405

International Captain
So is Jazzprit out or not? I'm reading indifferent reports

Also what an achievement it would be for this Indian team if they win the series that too at the Gabba. Script well written for a Bollywood blockbuster with Shah Ruk khan playing the role of Ravi Shastri. I hope they'll keep out those stupid dancing though

Also Starceh>>>trundler
The movie was released 14 years ago, with a different sport. Hope Brisbane lives up to the script of that movie.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is the sort of thing I'm advocating. Tbf I'm sort of thinking about this in the context of the twitter discussions about Australian cricket's penetration, or lack thereof, into migrant communities, even ones with a cricket background.
Interesting discussion. I admit that wasn't a concern I was aware of from my own experience coaching and administrating, but the area I was involved in had a huge subcontinental population which was pretty well tapped into by the local Association and clubs

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting discussion. I admit that wasn't a concern I was aware of from my own experience coaching and administrating, but the area I was involved in had a huge subcontinental population which was pretty well tapped into by the local Association and clubs
Yeah wrt that it's more the higher reps and pathways which have been a concern though I think it's improving there. More of a concern is that there seems to be little progress with SE Asian communities and the like.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I came across a couple of all-subcontinent-descent teams in the Hornsby/ND systems. Some of the players I chatted with always reckoned players from their teams got a raw deal when it came to rep squad selection and awards etc; I'm not sure how accurate it was but even the perception of it obviously isn't great.

Burgey

Yeah wrt that it's more the higher reps and pathways which have been a concern though I think it's improving there. More of a concern is that there seems to be little progress with SE Asian communities and the like.
Mate, I remember far enough back to when Ch33qs was meant to herald in an era of greater engagement with SE Asian communities. For whatever reason, it never really took off.

I came across a couple of all-subcontinent-descent teams in the Hornsby/ND systems. Some of the players I chatted with always reckoned players from their teams got a raw deal when it came to rep squad selection and awards etc; I'm not sure how accurate it was but even the perception of it obviously isn't great.
Yeah I think this is definitely on the improve at junior levels now, certainly in the Parra area and the western 'burbs generally. Very large representation of SC background players in junior reps, which is awesome. Good smattering through the grade club as well. At the club level, the last junior side I coached which my young bloke played in had two Anglo kids with the rest SC-descent. Jeez they were a good group of kids.

Couldn't play the hook shot, of course. But keen. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think this is definitely on the improve at junior levels now, certainly in the Parra area and the western 'burbs generally. Very large representation of SC background players in junior reps, which is awesome. Good smattering through the grade club as well. At the club level, the last junior side I coached which my young bloke played in had two Anglo kids with the rest SC-descent. Jeez they were a good group of kids.

Couldn't play the hook shot, of course. But keen. :ph34r:
What I found interesting about it was that the perceived bias was against the SC-filled teams rather than the individual players per se. Like I had a bloke tell me he was thinking to move to Berowra to increase his chance of getting picked for some sort of rep side (Hornsby Under 23s IIRC?), but it was still more of a race-based accusation ("can't get picked from the Desi teams" etc) than the standard trope about some clubs being favoured.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mate, I remember far enough back to when Ch33qs was meant to herald in an era of greater engagement with SE Asian communities. For whatever reason, it never really took off
Just the difficulties of really getting mainstream exposure as a state cricketer imo. If he was playing today and was a key player in a BBL team, then that would be a real opening.

Burgey

What I found interesting about it was that the perceived bias was against the SC-filled teams rather than the individual players per se. Like I had a bloke tell me he was thinking to move to Berowra to increase his chance of getting picked for some sort of rep side (Hornsby Under 23s IIRC?), but it was still more of a race-based accusation ("can't get picked from the Desi teams" etc) than the standard trope about some clubs being favoured.
Understandable on the North Bore tbh.

TBF when my young bloke made his junior reps dayboo, at the end of the season the coach came up to me and said he rated him, but he should play for another (ie, his) club.

Went over well with me, given my grandfather founded our club nearly 70 years ago.

One of the things which happened in the park in lower grades with one Desi team when they first started up was they'd sub blokes in from one week to the next. It caused a massive problem because in the grade they were playing there were only player umpires from non-affiliated clubs - the Association brought in byes in lower grades and you had to supply umps in grades your own club wasn't in for you to get your ten points. And of course, teams would send one or two blokes to umpire one week, and another two the next.

So there were massive blow ups because a lot of the Desi blokes just wanted to have a hit or a bowl and didn't really think much of it, but other sides were playing for sheep stations and got the shits when a side would have a fairly well balanced team of Aravinda-sized blokes one week then turn up week two to bat and Ishant Sharma took the new rock from a height of 2 metres, having not been there week one. In the end it got sorted out without too many problems though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
i remember people getting excited once in a grade game after an hour of silence because someone got a ball to turn

no wonder you don't rate finger spinners given the shitty stock you see every day

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So is Jazzprit out or not? I'm reading indifferent reports

Also what an achievement it would be for this Indian team if they win the series that too at the Gabba. Script well written for a Bollywood blockbuster with Shah Ruk khan playing the role of Ravi Shastri. I hope they'll keep out those stupid dancing though

Also Starceh>>>trundler
Ajay Devgan as Shastri imo

Burgey

i remember people getting excited once in a grade game after an hour of silence because someone got a ball to turn

no wonder you don't rate finger spinners given the ****ty stock you see every day
It’s a **** discipline, as you well know. There to give your quicks a rest and to get you from 40 to 80 quickly