• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't you not think he bats like Cummins, more interested in blocking than scoring runs. Starc should bat 8 above Cummins because of that btw
Cummins isn't making hundreds for fun and averaging 55 in the Shield. Agree that Green can lack intent though, and a lot of his Shield innings have had that feature but without the getting out part.

TheJediBrah

If somehow we win or even draw this series, it looks like a couple of good to potentially good players will be dropped by Australia. Green has only played two tests and did play well at Melbourne, coz if he had failed there, Australia would have actually had an innings defeat. Its too early to write off the kid. Give him the series, then take the call.

And why would you drop Paine? I am not a fan of his but who else you got who can captain?
Green is not in any danger of being dropped, ignore the sensationalists.

Gob

International Coach
Tommorow is a critical day. India can potentially retain the Border Gavaskar trophy with a solid days of batting on a pitch which holds no demons for batting.

trundler

How much is it a case of lacking positivity/intent and how much of it is just not being good enough? Wade's stupidity against spin is clearly a sign of the latter. The jump from FC to test is huge and having your strengths nullified by good plans isn't something Green would've encountered before. As Gob said, even Smith struggled for a bit when they tied him down early in the innings. This is a man who was smashing length balls for Bumrah for fun when set.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How much is it a case of lacking positivity/intent and how much of it is just not being good enough? Wade's stupidity against spin is clearly a sign of the latter. The jump from FC to test is huge and having your strengths nullified by good plans isn't something Green would've encountered before. As Gob said, even Smith struggled for a bit when they tied him down early in the innings. This is a man who was smashing length balls for Bumrah for fun when set.
I reckon, after Langer became Fuhrer and that Pakistan series, he issued a general order to bat more defensively as the most basic response to avoid Australian batting collapses. And they're still having that edict drilled into their skulls. Mind you it's a fitting reflection of the cultural change post-sandpapergate.

Also tbf, some very quality bowlers with good plans have visited these shores since then. Neil Wagner, other guys I can't think of.

cnerd123

likes this
It's like Ratatouille man, it's poetic and powerful.
Who is the Remy to Paine's Lou?

haven't seen a ball but are some people really suggesting drop one of the most talented cricketers i've ever seen with a domestic batting average of 58 because his first few knocks weren't good?

this isn't australia 2001, you can't do this and still win games man.
Australia 1995 dropped Stuart Law after he scored an unbeaten 50 on Test debut and no one cared.

Gob

International Coach
I reckon, after Langer became Fuhrer and that Pakistan series, he issued a general order to bat more defensively as the most basic response to avoid Australian batting collapses.
I think this is pivotal to them retaining the ashes and will be in their future endeavors in the subcontinent but they can surely be more aggressive when playing in home conditions. I mean Aus batting in Aus have never been a problem so why fix it?

morgieb

Australia 1995 dropped Stuart Law after he scored an unbeaten 50 on Test debut and no one cared.
Because he was there as an injury replacement for Steve Waugh (who came back in the next Test) and our batting depth was much stronger back then. It was either drop him or Ponting, and Ponting scored 96.

morgieb

I think this is pivotal to them retaining the ashes and will be in their future endeavors in the subcontinent but they can surely be more aggressive when playing in home conditions. I mean Aus batting in Aus have never been a problem so why fix it?
I'm not even convinced it really helped Australia in the Ashes that much. Fact is without Smith that series ends up like 4-1 England or something, and Smith would've scored runs anyway regardless of batting approach.

One Test where it did help though was in the UAE. I know I shouldn't be too impressed over draws, but it had been a very long time since we bunkered down to save a Test, and it somehow paid off.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I said I'm sure it's not entirely our own doing. I have a couple of theories re the pitches since that dreadful 2015/16 summer and India reading the Australian batting like a pamphlet last time around, but my brain not good.

Daemon

I'm not even convinced it really helped Australia in the Ashes that much. Fact is without Smith that series ends up like 4-1 England or something, and Smith would've scored runs anyway regardless of batting approach.

One Test where it did help though was in the UAE. I know I shouldn't be too impressed over draws, but it had been a very long time since we bunkered down to save a Test, and it somehow paid off.
Even in that UAE draw Khawaja wasn’t just blocking, he even said he was batting as per normal. There were reverse sweeps etc in that knock from him.